Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2006, 11:55   #61
Senior - BHPian

From what i have heard, hyundai might be selling both the accent and the verna together.

Although its high time for the accent to be phased out. Lets hope that these are just rumours and that the new accent 'verna' will replace the current ageing accent.

Drifter
Old 23rd April 2006, 12:02   #62
Senior - BHPian

I say, drop the prices of the current Accent into Indigo territory, and price the Verna at par with the prices of the current Accent prices. That is, if they want to sell them both simultaneously. The Accent will do fine even with the base 1.5 as the only engine available.
Old 24th April 2006, 22:59   #63
Team-BHP Support

Good news, most probably the Verna will replace the accent. At most Hyundai may retain the base model of accent and push it down to flair territory. This will lead the Verna to occupy the 6-7 lakh bracket. Imagine 110bhp Crdi at 7 lakhs ex-showroom delhi.
Old 24th April 2006, 23:20   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Imagine 110bhp Crdi at 7 lakhs ex-showroom delhi.
Drool drool....seems like the perfect replacement for my CRDi...dont like the verna's look too much though. At 7 lakhs ex-showroom thats more or less the same as the current 82bhp CRDi.

Lets hope hyundai prices it right.

Drifter
Old 24th April 2006, 23:25   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
Drool drool....seems like the perfect replacement for my CRDi...
Well you better sell yours ASAP then. There isnt going to be much of a 2nd hand market once they drop Accent prices below 5 lakhs if they do take the base model down.
Old 25th April 2006, 00:37   #66
Senior - BHPian

Hehe no steeroid...my current ride will not be sold...far too many memories attached to it. If a new car is bought...it will have the company of my accent. Planning to keep it for as long as possible. Waiting for it to cross 100k on the odo...currently 67k and counting. Will cross probably by next year.

Drifter
Old 25th April 2006, 01:02   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
Hehe no steeroid...my current ride will not be sold...far too many memories attached to it. If a new car is bought...it will have the company of my accent. Planning to keep it for as long as possible. Waiting for it to cross 100k on the odo...currently 67k and counting. Will cross probably by next year.

Drifter
drifter i was wondering if you have a place to stay as well apart from your beloved car , and by the rate you are going one more year an it will be a 100 k on your odo for sure.

manson.
Old 25th April 2006, 08:12   #68
Team-BHP Support

Diesel accent crdi will cease to exist in its current form, only Verna crdi at the same price as the current one. Apparently the reason for replacing the old model is this.
Accent = 5.5 for petrol. So if Verna comes in at 6, accent will have to go down by 50K or so, this will cannablize getz. If they drop getz a notch below it will create problems for the santro. So hyundai may retail just one model of accent, most probably the 1.5L base model and that too is doubtful now.
Old 25th April 2006, 10:37   #69
Senior - BHPian

a hyundai dealer in bengalooru said that the accent production will not be stopped and this is just a rumour
Old 25th April 2006, 12:55   #70
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was actually invented by bosch I think.
Sir, Bosch is by no means the first to employ common-rail technology.

The 1942 Cooper-Bessemer GN-8 marine engine, developing 700 bhp (1200 shaft horse-power) had a hydraulically operated common rail diesel engine.

In the late 1960s, Mr. Hiber of Switzerland developed a common rail system prototype for research. At the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Mr. Ganser focused on Hiber's research and developed the technology further.

In 1995, Denso Corp., Japan developed the Common Rail Fuel System. Its first practical use was on the 1995 Hino Raising Ranger truck. They called theiir CRDi system: ECD-U2.

It was as late as 1997, when Bosch extended its use for passenger cars.

A little background and how it works
(for those interested)
As you know most old diesel engines have something called an injection-pump with a selector valve. This may be reciprocating or rotary. The old diesel engines had simple, flat-top pistons. They had a noisy clatter to them. They used indirect injection and bulky diesel injectors (nothing more than nozzles at the end of high pressure pipes).

Modern diesel engines are usually direct injection.
The pistons have a depressed bowl in the top surface. They also use a high pressure fuel supply line.

There are two kinds of direct injection, CRDi and UDi (Unit direct injection).

Unit Direct Injection
In a UDi system each cylinder has its own injector-pump combo. This prevents pressure fluctuations and produces smoother quieter running. UDi engines are used in Volkswagen diesels as well as big bulldozer diesel engines.

Volkswagen's unique Pumpe Düse (meaning 'pump injector') beats the usual diesel pressure loss in the fuel pipes.

Each cylinder has its own Pumpe Düse (integrated injector and pump) unit mounted in the cylinder head. The Pumpe Düse is operated by the camshaft, injecting fuel directly into the combustion chamber at pressures up to 2,069 bar (207 MPa) - 30,000 psi.

The result: efficiently blended mixture, precise control of fuel quantity and injection timings, higher fuel economy, reduced emissions, higher torque and petrol-engine-like silent running!

Common Rail Direct Injection
Even in Common Rail Direct Injection, Alfa Romeo (Fiat subsidiary) beat Bosch. Alfa were first to use the common rail technology which they called MultiJet.

In common rail systems, an extremely high pressure pump fills the common rail (a tubular reservoir of fuel) at high pressure - up to 1,800 bar (180 MPa) - 26,100 psi!

The common rail, in turn, routes diesel to computer-controlled injector valves.

Each valve contains a precision-machined nozzle and a solenoid driven plunger.

The embedded ECU computer calculates how much fuel to send to the pump and operates the valves to decide the precise moment when fuel is injected into the cylinder. It also controls the diesel injection pressure into the cylinders.

The result: injected diesel atomizes easily and burns efficiently with low emissions.

A high-tech ECU computer can also pre-inject a small amount of diesel ("pilot" injection). This reduces noise and vibration and optimizes injection timing and quantity for variations in diesel quality, cold temperature, etc.

Last edited by Ram : 25th April 2006 at 13:03.
Old 25th April 2006, 13:23   #71
Team-BHP Support

Wow that was informative! Thanks ram. I guess everybody thinks its bosch tech coz they were among the first to get it to Passenger cars
Old 25th April 2006, 13:25   #72
Team-BHP Support

Never trust the dealers. Tata dealers were telling people that indica turbo wont come for atleast a year even 15 days before the launch. The dealer would want to sell off the accents. The discount on petrol accent is now 30000 cash.
When the Verna comes in at 6 lakhs for petrol model in Sept, I doubt the old accent will go for anything more than 5L. And if they do that Getz will take a flogging.
Old 25th April 2006, 13:34   #73
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow that was informative! Thanks ram. I guess everybody thinks its bosch tech coz they were among the first to get it to Passenger cars

Just learned that...
It still wasn't Bosch!

FIAT Research Center in the late 1980s used the Common Rail UniJet concept in passenger cars.

The 1997 Alfa Romeo 156 had a CRDi engine.

FIAT Research Center won the "Economist" innovation award.

Again in 1998 Fiat was first in the world with use of CRDi in an LCV -- the Iveco Daily light duty truck.

The innovative Multijet actually was the 2nd generation of CRDi. It uses electronic injector control to carry out more than two closely-spaced injections per engine cycle. Burning the same amount of diesel in-cylinder, but in smaller parts achieves smoother combustion.

The first engine of this type is the 2002 model 1.9 JTD 16V multiple injection CRDi in the Alfa 156 and 147 models.
Old 25th April 2006, 16:58   #74
BHPian

Just found out at the New Hyundai Accent is being test driven on the CNBC autoshow at 7:00 PM India time on Tuesday. If any manages to get some info, please let post it on the forum.

Thanks.
-Sumit
Old 26th April 2006, 12:47   #75
BHPian

CNBC Speed Autoshow April 25th-New Accent Test Drive

I was waiting for the test drive by the generally anti hyundai Autocar. They aired the program on April 25th. The car (1.4 petrol engine) was test driven by Renuka Kripalini in Singapore.
Well first and foremost i want to say is that she had a negative mind even before the test drive. That was evident from her body language.
These are the points:
Exterior looks: Front grill looks slightly similar to Corolla but they liked the rear part very much. Overall the car looks pretty good.
Interiors: Well Renuka showed a double standard here. She said the interiors were excellent when the car was on Frankfurt Auto show. But in the show she mentioned the interior is good but the plastic quality is not up to the mark of Fiesta and Aveo.
Space: Oh!!she said a good thing. Leg spaces are more in front and rear compared to Fiesta and Aveo but rear seats are a bit low. Head room is also plenty. Overall in space better than Fiesta and Aveo.
Ride and Handling: Did not say anything about ride quality but to my surprise she said it has good handling. That was really unexpected. Seems Hyundai has rectified that weakness. Steering according to her was light and will seem scary at high speeds but in the show she never went above 60km/h I guess. In another TV show there was a test drive report on Volksvagen Touareg SUV. They mentioned it had a light steering and because of that driving was very easy and good. So wondering who is correct?
Performance: Well, to no surprise mentioned that the new accent lacks the base power of Aveo and Fiesta. Also it needed to change gears often in traffic signals. That was reported by a Fiesta 1.4 user too. But ridiculously when she said that she was driving smoothly on a road with hardly any traffic. Should have shown that real time atleast. But mentioned that gear shift is good.
Conclusion: Thank god her conclusion was good and atleast she said a fact. She said that Accent has no power of Aveo or Fiesta but seeing the good brand image of Hyundai and the excellent after sales service in India this car will be right up there if priced right.
I feel we should get a better unbiased report than hers. To my dissappointment she did not compare the new accent with the outgoing accent. That should have been done....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks