Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2013, 22:50   #121
BHPian

Re: hyundai accent production stopped

Just read confirmed reports of the Accent being discontinued which will probably be replaced with a new hatchback which will be positioned between the i10 and the i20 and will be available in petrol and diesel both

With the i20 diesel losing out on sales to the polo, swift and Dzire and the other hatchbacks, I reckon they could have plonked the diesel mill into the Accent and given it a fresh new lease of life.

A Hyundai version of the Dzire Tour eating into the taxi market big time.
Old 30th May 2013, 06:42   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
With the i20 diesel losing out on sales to the polo, swift and Dzire and the other hatchbacks, I reckon they could have plonked the diesel mill into the Accent and given it a fresh new lease of life.
With all due respect, Hyundai should have discontinued the Accent long back. With no updates/facelifts, the model started showing its age and is a misfit compared to the rest of the Hyundai range.

And, I don't think the i20 is losing sales to the Polo. No other premium hatchback, barring the Swift, sells consistently in such high numbers as the i20.
Old 30th May 2013, 08:52   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
With all due respect, Hyundai should have discontinued the Accent long back. With no updates/facelifts, the model started showing its age and is a misfit compared to the rest of the Hyundai range.
Although it did start showing it's age, but those clean straight lines are still a welcome change compared to other cars in the same segment. There is a certain charm to such a design, and Hyundai could have attempted to capitalize on the same by going for an overhaul of interiors and engine, and some smart cosmetic changes to the exterior.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 09:16   #124
Senior - BHPian

A few cosmetic changes like dual tone interiors, provision for double-din head unit, new speedo console, bigger ORVMS, new look headlamps and a diesel option was all that required to keep the Accent going for few more years, it was never a aged car from exterior and is still one of the best looking Sedans even after more than a decade. Hyundai could have used it as a 4m compact sedan instead of developing a new car from scratch.
deehunk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 11:06   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
+1

Accent has been around since ages without any significant change to its mechanicals. Yes Accent CRDI was a hoot to drive but the diesel game moved on big time. Santro is another car Hyundai would do well to get rid off cos they are holding back the newer and much more contemporary Eon just to keep Santro alive. Plonk the 1.1 irde engine in to Eon, mate it to a cable linkage gearbox and you will see how Eons will fly off the shelf.

I can't understand why on earth Hyundai is scared with product overlapping. Maruti has 2 products available at every price point. Eon should be entry level option with the current i10 positioned slightly above Eon. The up coming i15 should slot in between the current i10 and i20. That way Hyundai can make sure they have a car at every price point when it comes to hatchback segment.
needforspeed88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 16:53   #126
Senior - BHPian

This is pretty stupid move by Hyundai. Mumbai is recently in the news for phasing out all old cabs over 20 years, that is approx 20,000 fiat taxis off the road. If Hyundai is smart they must launch the Mumbai specific accent taxi version, price it well and watch 20000 accents fly off the shelf...
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 10:26   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai phases out Accent, plans to introduce a new car.

HMIL has phased out its once best-selling sedan, the Accent. The company is now planning to introduce a fresh product in the same category along with a compact SUV and a multipurpose vehicle.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/24321195.cms

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th October 2013 at 10:28.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed