Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2006, 23:04   #16
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection
By the way, why do you use the term turbo supercharging? You either turbocharge or you supercharge. Haven't come across an engine incorporating both.
Turbocharging is a colloquial slang term, not a strict technical term.

Feeding an engine air at normal temperature and pressure is natural aspiration.

Feeding the engine air under pressure is called supercharging. The additional oxygen in the high-pressure air improves the volumetric efficiency of the engine which allows the engine to burn more fuel and generate more power.

The supercharging pressure can be generated by a belt-driven, gear-driven or chain-driven compressor, colloquially called a "blower".(e.g. Roots-type supercharger) Blowers tend to be simpler and generate instant boost even at idle, but they run hot and must have an intercooler.

Supercharging pressure can also be generated by a centrifugal type compressor driven by a gas turbine in the exhaust slipstream. Then it is called turbo-supercharging or in colloquial slang "turbocharging".

A turbo-supercharger being a heat-engine in itself, compresses intake air more efficiently than a mechanical supercharger. But its action is delayed (turbo-lag). Therefore the blower supercharger is preferred in racing engines to the turbo supercharger.
Old 30th March 2006, 23:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Supercharging pressure can also be generated by a centrifugal type compressor driven by a gas turbine in the exhaust slipstream. Then it is called turbo-supercharging or in colloquial slang "turbocharging".

A turbo-supercharger being a heat-engine in itself, compresses intake air more efficiently than a mechanical supercharger. But its action is delayed (turbo-lag). Therefore the blower supercharger is preferred in racing engines to the turbo supercharger.
Sorry, I'm
Racing has always prefered turbos...for eg....F1 in the 80s, WRC, World Sportscar, ALMS, Paris-Dakar Raids, C.A.R.T series, F3 etc. There is no racing series today uses supercharging.

Blowers are prefered only in Drag racing.

"Forced Induction" is the prefered term today to imply that air is pressure fed. TurboSupercharging is already launched by VW in Europe for the 2006 GOLF 1.4 Twincharger.

Last edited by Mpower : 30th March 2006 at 23:39.
Old 31st March 2006, 04:59   #18
Ram
Senior - BHPian

A Jeep engine needs to have enough additional power to haul loads

and enough torque at low rpm to crawl-down difficult slopes.

Jeep Wranglers today have a choice of two engines:

A 2429 cc 4-Cylinder DOHC 16-Valve rock-climbing engine
producing 147bhp @ 5200 rpm & 224 N-m @ 4000 rpm

A 3966 cc 6-Cylinder inline PowerTech Engine
producing 190bhp @ 4600 rpm & 219 N-m @ 3200 rpm,
with nearly 255 N-m torque available at idling rpm,
to help with compression braking when descending steep slopes.
Old 31st March 2006, 08:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

I think jeep fanatics should rather buy a second-hand jeep, and restore it adding custom details of their own choice, it might still work out cheaper than the exhorbitant price of this 'legend', and they would have a one-off exclusive jeep in the end.
And they could also slightly modify the engine.
Old 31st March 2006, 08:29   #20
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
I think jeep fanatics should rather buy a second-hand jeep, and restore it adding custom details of their own choice, it might still work out cheaper than the exhorbitant price of this 'legend', and they would have a one-off exclusive jeep in the end.
And they could also slightly modify the engine.
Well said!
Well said Islero!

Way back in 1986, I found a whole industry in California to outfit Over engineered bolt-ons and weld-ons to Jeeps 1941-2007. Fanatic Jeep owners that eat breathe and live Jeep! Jeep restorations, show Jeeps, hard core off road Jeeps, street Jeeps and competition Jeeps.

A company called Advance-Adapters whole reason for existence is Jeep owners wanting to change their engine to something that won't just bolt onto the existing clutch-bell housing. They've produced V8 conversion engine mounts for Jeeps for over 30 years, covering Jeeps from World War 2 to the present model Wrangler.

Jeep fanatics can certainly buy a second-hand (or why not new) jeep, and upgrade/restore it with custom details of their own choice.

However does that absolve Mahindra from producing a contemporary Jeep for both civilian and military use?

The India of today has already been exposed to disc brakes, coil springs, 100+ bhp, Maruti-AISIN lockable hubs, automatic transmission, etc. and would expect these and more from India's top 4x4 producer too.
Old 31st March 2006, 11:05   #21
BHPian

I couldn't stop myself from comparing the jeep wrangler and the Mahindra Legend from the pics that RAM has posted.

Somehow i feel that the jeep wrangler looks much better than our Mahindra CJ models. Have to compare them side-by-side to get the actual differences, but IMO here are the differences between them that stand-out..

1> The front grille, the wrangler's grill has more thicker bars than the MM's bars.

2> Colors, wrangler is available in far better colors.

3> Better Door-Frames and Thicker Bull-Bars on the Top.

4> A large size front Bumper giving it a Butch look..

5> The front-chrome/steel bull-bar on an MM doesn't look good at all..
Old 31st March 2006, 11:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Shift-on-the-fly & LSD

All Mahindra 4x4 Gear Boxes are Shift-on-the-fly
T-90 & KMT-90.
While Driving Press the clutch and
1)pull the middle lever towards you.
2)incase of single lever pull the 4WD lever towards you

As far as LSD's are concerned only the Military MM550XD have it.
Old 31st March 2006, 12:10   #23
Team-BHP Support

Ummm... six headlights you said? Well what with those top four on a bar or something? Is not it illegal to have any lights over the height of the regular headlights?
Old 31st March 2006, 12:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Indian JEEP Engines

L4-134"GoDevil" - 2187cc 15Kgm@1800Rpm 60Bhp
F4-134 "Hurricane" - 2187cc 15.5Kgm@2000Rpm 72Bhp
B-275 "International" - 2350cc 11.84Kgm@1350Rpm 35Bhp
Perkins P4/Simpsons S4 - 3300cc 18Kgm@1500Rpm 60Bhp
XD4.9P "Peugoet" - 2112cc 12Kgm@2000Rpm 58-62Bhp
XD3P "Bolero" - 2498cc 15.5Kgm@2000Rpm 73Bhp
MDI3200 - 2650cc 16.5Kgm@1500Rpm 58Bhp

Mahindra maynot have introduced anything new but surely have preserved something old tried & tested, for those of you who have JEEPs, please go out and take them off-the-road you'll know how much power is enough and how much is required and how much is tangible.

Just started building my 3rd JEEP a CJ5 ;-) I will be putting an engine I always wanted to a P4 or S4

Arka
1985 CJ3B (F4-134)
1996 MM540XD (XD3P)
Old 31st March 2006, 13:22   #25
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c
T-90 & KMT-90.
While Driving Press the clutch and
1)pull the middle lever towards you.
2)incase of single lever pull the 4WD lever towards you
Sir, I sincerely hope you were joking!

The Mahindras don't have free-wheeling hubs, so there is no issue of locking them, pneumatically, hydraulically, mechanically nor under embedded computer intelligence.

If your front hubs are permanently locked (by a steel flange with six bolts)
you lose fuel economy all the time! The front wheels are keyed to the half-shafts by the aforementioned flange. The half-shafts are turning the front Dana 44 differential and the diff. is turning the front propeller shaft all the way back to the Spicer-18 transfer case.

If this highly wasteful second-world war technology -- if we might call it that -- has permanently synchronized the the front and rear propeller shafts, what's the big deal saying, "All Mahindras have shift on the fly"?

Drive a few 100 yards in 4-wheel-drive on hard tarmac, steer in a circle. Now try to disengage your front-axle-engage lever. Why is it hard-to-impossible?

Because of the ancient (unsolved by Mahindra) problem of "Transmission Wind Up"! Where's the big deal saying, "All Mahindras have shift on the fly"?
Old 31st March 2006, 13:32   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Incorrect. My Classic is NOT a shift-on-the-fly. The only shift on the fly transfer cases I have seen are the Borg Warner (spell check?) from some select Armadas and Scorpios.

Quote:
The Mahindras don't have free-wheeling hubs, so there is no issue of locking them, pneumatically, hydraulically, mechanically nor under embedded computer intelligence.
My Classic came with free wheeling hubs. As standard fitment.

GTO
Old 31st March 2006, 14:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Shift-on-the-fly

By any definition SOTF has nothing to do with the ability to lock/unlock the front hub.

SOTF- implies the ability to shift in and out of 4WD while the vehicle is moving (at speeds below 45Kmph). The Low Ratio must be engaged while the vehicleis stationary.

"Transmission Wind-up is caused by a Gearbox-Transfer Case setup which doesnot have a central differential"

The central Differential is available in all AWDs or permanent 4WD.

That is why it is advisable to engage and disengage while the vehicle is rolling."

Just because the feature has transmission windup doesnot mean its not SOTF. Don't confuse the two.
Old 31st March 2006, 14:26   #28
BANNED

Sigh. What were they thinking. I guess "Limited Edition" makes sense because very few people will buy this turkey.
Old 31st March 2006, 14:31   #29
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
My Classic came with free wheeling hubs. As standard fitment.

GTO
GTO, the Mahindra CJ-340 Classic is the 1953-1964 CJ-3B that Mahindra retrofitted with the Peugeot XDP4.90 diesel and the Korean Kia 4-speed gearbox. It is recognized as a modern-day antique by Derek Redmond and the four-wheeling community in the developed world.

Most Classics sold didn't have the lockable hubs. Mahindra didn't then and still don't make them.

Since Mahindra didn't touch the WW-II front hub design, aftermarket freewheeling hubs for the 1953-1964 Willys CJ-3B and 1955-1971 Willys CJ-5 10-spline front driveshaft would fit straight away. It's possible either Mahindra or the dealer imported and resold them on your vehicle as a one-off.

Just as Jeep wrote the book on four-wheel-drive, Warn Industries wrote the book on locking hubs. They were founded in Seattle in 1948 by Arthur Warn to produce locking hubs for surplus World War II Jeeps.

I had Warn premium (chrome & brass) manual free-wheeling hubs on my 1988 Mahindra MM 540 4x4. It took some research to find the right model.

Post 1970, Jeep had higher torque straight-sixes and V-8s in the CJ-5. The front driveshaft had 27-splines and used a different Warn model 9062.

I purchased my 10-spline Warn 29062 from a speedshop near my home in Kingston, NY. Had to instruct the shop (1971 and prior model CJ Universals).

Brought it back with me for the 540 in Bombay. Fit perfectly on the ancient design!
Old 31st March 2006, 14:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Incorrect. My Classic is NOT a shift-on-the-fly. The only shift on the fly transfer cases I have seen are the Borg Warner (spell check?) from some select Armadas and Scorpios.
bs. GTO
ABSOLUTELY WRONG the Classic like all post 1985 Mahindra Diesels were fitted with the Kia KMT-90 4Spd 4WD with a adapted Dana-18 T-case.

The adapted Dana-18 was either 2stick or Single Stick T-case, but either ways they retain the SOTF feature.

If your is not easily engaging try lubricating the shift rod.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks