Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2012, 18:09   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
^^^ Not necessarily... for the following issues:
1. Good ride does not mean good handling (though can be confused with handling). It means absorbent ride which is comfortable for the occupants, as it keeps the effects of bad roads at bay, but not necessarily give the car corner carving ability.

2. There is more than just the reliability... the ownership cost & capabilities A.S.S., which IMO can make a break or break a brand. Fiat & Maruti-Suzuki are two contrasting examples of this. Moreover. Renault & Nissan haven't shared the dealership network/ A.S.S., so you can say that visibility of Renault is on the lower/ fainter side, when compared to Nissan even, the word of mouth publicity is not bad though, after the Duster.
Thank you for the lesson Cardeep, I'm aware of the difference and know what I was referring to:

DNA Drive: Renault Scala — Sunnier, Scala-ding hot! - Money - DNA

[[[Ride and handling
It could be a psychological thing (because we’re used to driving Renaults that get their suspension settings absolutely right) or the fact that they’ve actually done something to the suspension, but we think that the Scala actually rides better than its sibling.

Low-speed ride seems to have improved a lot, with nothing, not even the larger bumps being transmitted into the cabin, there’s some sound from the bump, but your back doesn’t feel anything here. As the speeds rise, the body control is quite nice, with the car showing no signs of wanting to chart its own path. We’d be surprised if they didn’t tweak the suspension a bit, because this seems to ride a lot better than the Sunny, or maybe it’s just the better roads skewing our perception. The rear seat is absolutely comfortable with acres of legroom that none of the cars in the range can match.

In the handling department, the Scala won’t be keeping up with any sports cars anytime soon, but for its class, it does surprisingly well. It does understeer as you near its limits, and some mild hints of body roll, but before that, there’s some genuine fun to be had.]]]

As far as, my comment about reliability goes it had nothing to do with after sales. Renaults are known for iffy quality. Nissans are known for excellent Jap reliability. And since the Scala is essentially a Sunny it will be more reliable than a pure Renault product IMHO. A bit like Honda - good intrinsic quality and reliable products backed up by lousy after sales, which thankfully you don't need that often.
Old 24th August 2012, 18:36   #62
Senior - BHPian

@StarScream that was not a lesson on handling & reliability by any means... I had just expressed opinion in reply to your comments.

I also know that being a Nissan underneath will be blessing in disguise in this regard, but, I am more concerned about the availability of spares in case any minor or (... God forbid) major problem occurs. This is yet to be weighed, more so because Nissan also has been in India for quite some time now & Renault is a relatively new entrant (solo).

IMO this is where things can go wrong, unlike Maruti-Suzuki & probably few others where availability of spares (genuine/ good quality counterfeit) is good. Add to this the authorised workshop of these brands, where you can have access to quality service.

I am also uploading the OD test-drive report for perusal of all:

2012 Renault Scala in India first drive - Overdrive

Last edited by CARDEEP : 24th August 2012 at 18:37.
Old 26th August 2012, 06:40   #63
BHPian

What Renault could’ve done to distinguish the Scala from the Nissan Sunny:

- A different music system with USB and Bluetooth connectivity.
- A more powerful spec; i.e. a turbocharged (VGT) 105 BHP Sports variant.
- Rear air-conditioner from the Renault Duster, instead of the tacky blower.
- A base (RXe-DCi) variant for a lower entry price.
- Parking Sensors in the top-end variant.
- Side-indicators on the ORVM’s could’ve been standard on the top-end variant.

All these additions would’ve certainly shot-up the price to an extent, but on the plus side that would’ve allowed them to position the Sunny and the Scala separately. The D-Segment is already in a state of slumber; hence Renault shouldn’t have worried about the Scala eating into the Fluence’s market share. With all these changes in place, the Scala, for sure would be a great alternative to the VW Vento and the Hyundai Verna.
Abhinav667 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 07:27   #64
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The International Scala looks nicer than the badge engineered Sunny. That gaping mouth is totally un-aesthetic.
What ever happened to French Chic? Perhaps an overdose of Korean trash-tartiness via Samsung?
Old 27th August 2012, 11:58   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The International Scala looks nicer than the badge engineered Sunny. That gaping mouth is totally un-aesthetic.
What ever happened to French Chic? Perhaps an overdose of Korean trash-tartiness via Samsung?
But, it is already better looking than the Sunny/ Almera, & a much better effort than the original Jap product... at least the French have been sane, & not quirky this time.

Moreover, their Korean product (Fluence) is much better looking than the remodeled Jap IMO.

Mods : I understand you are working on the review report (which will be up soon), but, please do not keep us waiting long.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 27th August 2012 at 12:02.
Old 27th August 2012, 17:45   #66

Scala launch on 7th September as per this link:
Exclusive: Renault Scala to be launched on September 7, 2012
Old 27th August 2012, 19:30   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP
Moreover, their Korean product (Fluence) is much better looking than the remodeled Jap IMO.
OT, even though there are Korean roots, the Indian Fluence is same as what is being sold in Europe. IIRC, what we have is a CKD from Turkey.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 13:45   #68
Senior - BHPian

I met almost every Auto show host in Chandigarh airport on the 25th August along Renault PR team. I was speaking to the a renault spokeswoman and they informed me that they had organized for a test drive of the scala from Chandigarh to Shimla.
Even though the renault people kept insisting that the scala is just not a re-badged sunny, I'm not sure. They told me that the suspension has been re-worked and they had just used the sunny's platform. I dont believe this though since the interiors have no changes at all. The front has been given the pulse treatment and thats about it.
I havent driven one to comment, but knowing what renault did to the pulse, I'm not sure if they have taken any effort to distinguish scala from the sunny.
Skoda got the rapid right simple because of the pricing. The Vento was at par with the verna and skoda brought in the Rapid which was cheaper than even the SX4!
On the other hand, renault launched the Pulse which was more expensive than the micra{ which was not selling great anyway} and now with the scala which is at least 50k more than the sunny. The scala will now be pitted bang on with the Rapid and I dont see many folks putting their money on the scala when they could get a better car.
The renault spokesperson also said something about their plan to launch 5 cars and they have done that etc. I mean, pulse, Scala arent new cars anyway. The fluence is CKD {or is it a CBU}, the koleos, which is also a CKD has bombed with its high pricing. The only real launch has been the Duster.
Old 28th August 2012, 18:41   #69
BHPian

Source: Automotive India

Renault Scala launch on 7th September. Prices to start at 6.43 lakhs (Ex Delhi).
Old 29th August 2012, 19:03   #70
Senior - BHPian

It would have been a dig differentiator if the Fluence (110ps) tune of the 1.5 dci was in Scala. That would have given it a very peppy engine and would have come close to segment level competition (Rapid/Verna etc).
Old 29th August 2012, 19:20   #71
BHPian

The Renault Scala looks much better than the Nissan Sunny.
Seems like a 'Pulse' trapped under a steam roller though
The rear derives inputs from the mercedes s class and the tail lamps resemble the skoda c motiff. The dash of chrome, well thats custom made for India and does not look very good. With its current brand perception the Renault will have a tough time selling the scala. The Duster effect might help.
Old 30th August 2012, 09:51   #72
BHPian

Renault website has been updated with a "Scala - Coming Soon" page. However, the media gallery contains only two images - one of front and one of back.

Source:Renault - HOME
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 12:19   #73
Senior - BHPian

Now, the Zigwheels Test drive report is out (please refer below link):

Renault Scala: First Drive Page - 1| ZigWheels.com

Hopefully the best of all reviews is up soon .
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 13:34   #74
BHPian

Why pay premium if everything is same as the Sunny? I love the taillights and am sure it will be simple to replace sunny tail lamps with Scala. Everything else can be made to look much better aftermarket and most probably cheaper.

This Caaar clone will probably end up like the pulse.
Old 30th August 2012, 13:57   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Now, the Zigwheels Test drive report is out (please refer below link):

Renault Scala: First Drive Page - 1| ZigWheels.com

Hopefully the best of all reviews is up soon .
All the reviews have had a slightly different take on the Scala. Some say Renault has worked on the ride and handling, others say they have slightly lightened the interior dash color and improved under-thigh support in the back seat and then this guy from ZigWheels noticed no change at all. Will team-bhp put up a review to put these issues at rest?

With the tweaks and, in my opinion, the improved looks this car may well be able to be positioned above and differentiate itself enough from the Nissan Sunny, albeit not by much. It could work.

Last edited by StarScream : 30th August 2012 at 13:58.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks