Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:01   #1
BHPian

Renault Scala

Mod Note : Team-BHP's Renault Scala Review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

As per information available in Public domain, Renault is planning to do a Skoda Rapid with Nissan Sunny. The model to be named is Renault Scala. Folks in Egypt would be familiar.
Based on Renault Samsung SM3 model ( Nissan Sunny in Middle East and India) and Scala in Egypt. (Renault Samsung SM3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

This will sport a re-designed bumper, grille and wheels while the rest of the car will remain largely the same as the Sunny. On the inside, the only prominent change would be the Renault badge on the steering wheel. Mechanically both the Sunny and Scala will use the same powertrain. However Renault wants to offer this at a slight premium over Sunny aka Reanult Pule and Nissan Micra.

Expected Launch in October 2012, and if images from UK Renault site is anything to go by it looks to be a winner. (Renault.com - Renault Scala)

Please contribute if you have any further news on this development.

MODS please merge if duplicate thread exists.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Renault_Scala.pdf (777.6 KB, 3211 views)

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2012 at 20:22. Reason: Adding link to review
soumobakshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:20   #2
BHPian

Re: Renault Scala

Isn't the car from the picture too big to be made available in the same cost bracket as the sunny i.e. 7 - 8.5 L range? I would think this is +1 seg higher, may be in the verna, vento segment.
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:28   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
Expected Launch in October 2012, and if images from UK Renault site is anything to go by it looks to be a winner.
The car in the link is NOT surely going to come to India. Scala will look at-least 90% similar to Sunny with the difference only in front bumper & grills! Nothing more. As you mentioned the mechanicals will remain same too and there will be a slight premium over Nissan.

Renault hopes like Sunny, Scala will change their fortunes. Unless they ramp up their dealerships & A$$; I don't know how!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd March 2012 at 18:30.
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:34   #4
BHPian

I saw a car testing today in Bangalore. I could not get close enough due to traffic. Similar sized car. Back was covered but the tail light assembly seemed very similar. I was wishing I could get close enough to take a picture.
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
I saw a car testing today in Bangalore. I could not get close enough due to traffic. Similar sized car. Back was covered but the tail light assembly seemed very similar. I was wishing I could get close enough to take a picture.

Wow! Thats good news. Can you also mention where in Bangy ? Wondering why will they Test the vehicle in Bangy when there factory is in TN?

If you are stating that the Rear lights appeared similar then chances are the vehicle in brochure is the one coming to India.
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Wow! Thats good news. Can you also mention where in Bangy ? Wondering why will they Test the vehicle in Bangy when there factory is in TN?

If you are stating that the Rear lights appeared similar then chances are the vehicle in brochure is the one coming to India.
I must say I am speculating and I do not want people to be excited because of what i said. Although, yes, the tail light assembly did look similar. I saw it on Residency Road around 4 p.m. Even I found it weird that a test-covered car was driving around in so much traffic.

Last edited by lobojames9 : 22nd March 2012 at 18:55.
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:53   #7
BHPian

Only reason that i can think why near Residency Road could be the fact that Nissan has a presence on MG Road ( Opp to Cubbon Park Police Station). And vehicle required some attention...

@ Sr TBHPians any news that you have on this development ?

Last edited by soumobakshi : 22nd March 2012 at 18:55.
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I must say I am speculating and I do not want people to be excited because of what i said. Although, yes, the tail light assembly did look similar. I saw it on Residency Road around 4 p.m. Even I found it weird that a car test- covered car was driving around in so much traffic.
That must have been Sail Sedan since the tail lamp cluster looks quite similar to what is there in this Scala picture (pdf).
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:58   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
That must have been Sail Sedan since the tail lamp cluster looks quite similar to what is there in this Scala picture (pdf).
I might have. As they say eye witness accounts are usually deceiving. Best wait for the proper launch of the car.
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:17   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As per information available in Public domain, Renault is planning to do a Skoda Rapid with Nissan Sunny. The model to be named is Renault Scala. Folks in Egypt would be familiar.
Based on Renault Samsung SM3 model ( Nissan Sunny in Middle East and India) and Scala in Egypt. (Renault Samsung SM3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

This will sport a re-designed bumper, grille and wheels while the rest of the car will remain largely the same as the Sunny. On the inside, the only prominent change would be the Renault badge on the steering wheel. Mechanically both the Sunny and Scala will use the same powertrain. However Renault wants to offer this at a slight premium over Sunny aka Reanult Pule and Nissan Micra.
Expected Launch in October 2012
What is the source of this information?

Why should Renault bring a Samsung SM3 based car, when they already have the Fluence in our market. Fluence and SM3 are almost like Micra and Pulse. And what is the source to mention that the current Sunny in India is based on the SM3?

Sorry to say, this is quite a distorted piece of news.
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:21   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
What is the source of this information?

Why should Renault bring a Samsung SM3 based car, when they already have the Fluence in our market. Fluence and SM3 are almost like Micra and Pulse. And what is the source to mention that the current Sunny in India is based on the SM3?

Sorry to say, this is quite a distorted piece of news.
I think it is based on a scoop by AutoCar India.
The link: Renault-badged Sunny named Scala - News - Autocar India
lobojames9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:25   #12
BHPian

As and when this is launched, it will meet the same fate as that of Pulse. It seems that the Renault team did not learn from it's pulse experience. Sales will not be anywhere close to Nissan as Nissan commands a better value due to the Japanese branding.
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:27   #13
BHPian

@ vb-san: You are right Fluence is based on SM3 platform and the Sunny is based on SM3 CE platform. Let the pictures in attached file do the talking

As mentioned in my initial post, source is public domain Nissan Sunny Rebadged Renault Scala | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Renault Symbol Link http://www.renault.com/en/vehicules/...ol-thalia.aspx
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: docx Renault Scala or Symbol.docx (948.1 KB, 739 views)

Last edited by soumobakshi : 22nd March 2012 at 19:30.
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:49   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think it is based on a scoop by AutoCar India.
The link: Renault-badged Sunny named Scala - News - Autocar India
Quote:
@ vb-san: You are right Fluence is based on SM3 platform and the Sunny is based on SM3 CE platform. Let the pictures in attached file do the talking
As mentioned in my initial post, source is public domain Nissan Sunny Rebadged
Thanks. That link from Motorbeam makes sense – they have added it based on the ACI report (shared by lobojames9 above). Sunny rebadged as Scala – quite a possibility, considering how they have derived the Pulse. But it still does not give any indication on what you mentioned in the OP.

And AFIAK, the Symbol is a different car from the Sunny. The Sunny in India now is sold in SE Asian markets as the new Nissan Almera.
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
The Scala here is derived from the Nissan Sunny currently available in the GCC. Here is the link to Nissan Saudi Arabia Sunny KSA

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd March 2012 at 20:43. Reason: Please avoid quoting of Full long post specially when its on same page, thanks
HuseinZS is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed