Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2012, 11:29   #16
BHPian

Re: Going cheap, the Maruti way : Comparing the Maruti Alto versions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Rear door child lock removed!
That's highly irresponsible cost cutting from the country's largest and most respected car-maker. It's time ARAI stops approving cars even without this basic necessity.
Daewood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 11:47   #17
gpa
Senior - BHPian

I am a very satisfied owner of a May 2008 Alto Lxi and I am truly shocked to see the road MUL has taken with the current Alto in terms of cost cutting. Child locks are a basic necessity if one has to ferry kids in the back of the car and I can't imagine that MUL has removed it.

As a few others have mentioned, the older batches of Altos had far better build quality. I noticed the difference when I compared a 2005 batch Alto with my 2008 car three years ago.
Old 25th June 2012, 11:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

My 2004 Alto was a rock solid one,umpteen trips along non existent roads and it would hardly rattle. I had reported this on my thread earlier that I had posted some time back here (Has MUL compromised on the build quality of the Alto's lately ?).

MUL sure has been cutting every single corner they can. My 1st Alto had some serious ICE and would never rattle , currently the Alto which is at home driven by dad occasionally rattles like mad with a set of components and rear ovals.

Worst is the clutch and the dudes at the MASS still cant seem to figure out what is the problem with the clutch judder.
Old 25th June 2012, 11:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Integrated Head rest is projected as a feature by all car manufacturers. I replaced my 2005 Alto Lx with Alto K10 vxi around a year back. Last month I had to get the neck pillows to rest my head in case of lengthy red lights or long traffic jams. Removing storage and Ashtray also is mean thing to do. I use Ashtray to keep my petrol invoices.
Instead of improving a product and adding values Maruti is following some novice's advise to kill it!
@jinojohnt - please send your review to Maruti. Hope they will listen.
Old 25th June 2012, 23:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

This is one my my Favorite points to note when ever I peep into an new alto in show room. This is not at surprise when Alto retailed at 3.07 lks in 2002 and now after discounts and price hike several times it now retailes close to 3.20 lks(Correct me if I am wrong).

The art of value engineering should be learnt from MSL and I remember when they undertook a project of one gram reduction in all the components that's fitted into their cars. Over a period I still believe though the over all quality - to be precise,desired quality at the price level is still good.
Old 26th June 2012, 00:00   #21
BHPian

I own an Alto VXI 1.1 2002 model , the quality of materials used in the car right from the floor carpet to roof top mould is real good , the channel on which the seats are fixed has been covered on both ends with plastic moulding something which is missing even on a 10 lakh plus car!

Last edited by ranjithrnair : 26th June 2012 at 00:26.
Old 26th June 2012, 00:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
I own a Alto VXI 1.1 2002 model , the quality of materials used in the car right from the floor carpet to roof top mould is real good , the channel on which the seats are fixed has been covered on both ends with plastic moulding something which is missing even on a 10 lakh plus car!
Exactly my point as well. Mine is a 2003 VXi 1.1, and I plan to keep it for many years to come. When I compare it with a new Alto or even a K10, it seems absolutely pointless to sell this car.

After almost 9 years of ownership, the biggest problem I have had with my car is with the clutch. After some frustrating visits to the MASS, I have taken it upon myself and fixed it. Apart from this, the car is a real solid build, and interior quality makes me feel proud when I sit in a colleagues K10 and can almost hear myself laugh silently when he boasts of "fantastic interior quality".!!
Old 26th June 2012, 00:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

I was told by my Maruti dealer that the Cervo will be released in two months at an approximate price of Rs2.5lacs ex-showroom. And, with the new design Alto on the cards, will Maruti finally lay this rolling coffin(current Alto) to rest?. I sincerely hope so.
Old 26th June 2012, 06:26   #24
BHPian

i think more than cost-cutting Maruti has started playong with the lives of people. I can totally understand and support things like removal of ashtray etc but flimsy doors , missing locks and no child locks is not acceptable.
I was biased against MSIL since eventhough they gave India it's first. Car they never tried to give any valie add to people after that. Moves like these bolster my thinking towards MSIL.
I am just waiting for NCAP like ratings to come to India. This will atleast put a check on moves like the above from manufacturers.
Old 26th June 2012, 11:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
8. Plastic lining of the hatch opening replaced with carpet: No words to say. Be careful while unloading luggage from the boot, to avoid tearing this carpet lining.
Also notice the poor quality rubber beading.

New Vs Old:
I think it is not only this, but the entire boot area. The side walls.

A friend had recently brought his 3 year old Alto LX to my garage for fixing speakers, and that is when I noticed it. Compared it to my car, where everything is solid plastic. Must say, I completely agree that interior quality is going down by the day..
Old 26th June 2012, 11:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Another thing that I have noticed is that the floor carpet is plastic in the new Alto instead of the usual fabric stuff. Notice the pictures above.
Old 26th June 2012, 11:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Companies should look at reducing costs by improving their processes by making them more efficient, proper inventory management, vendor management etc. than by simply redesigning things. But redesigning or removing components may be the quickest and easiest way to reduce costs. Sad to see these changes that have happened to the Alto.
Old 26th June 2012, 12:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do point out if you notice any other difference between the old and the new Alto!
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Nice observations. Cost cutting was a part of demoting the alto F10 to the level of the 800 and making some space for the K10.
Taking a cue from both the points above it would be interesting to know if the features are intact in a K10 vs the new Alto or if the chops are across the board.

If the features remain then the present K10 would be the Alto of the past. Would be interesting for a K10 owner to comment on the same points listed above.

Great catch jinojohnt!
Old 26th June 2012, 12:27   #29
BHPian

Your comment/observation might be quite valid given the fact that Maruti had initially announced the co-existence of Alto and its K10 cousin.

One thing that might explain this cost cutting is a recent experience with one of my friend's decision to buy a car. He started with a Nano citing budgetary constraints. Then after a little push agreed for an Alto. Now he took a test drive without driving it himself (he is yet to learn how to drive), and he seems to be satisfied with what he is getting. He seems to be happy with a box running on 4 wheels with an AC that he can call his own car.

I think this is exactly the segment of people that Maruti might be targetting while coming up with these innovative cost cutting measures.
Old 26th June 2012, 14:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Another thing that I have noticed is that the floor carpet is plastic in the new Alto instead of the usual fabric stuff. Notice the pictures above.
Carpet is still fabric, it's just that the car in the photograph has after-market carpet cover (I think it's called 'floor lamination').

Last edited by jinojohnt : 26th June 2012 at 15:00.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks