Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 22:10   #1
BHPian

Price increase in Maharashtra on petrol and diesel cars respectively

Just the saw news on national tv that as per the state budget price will increase by 2% on petrol cars and 4% on diesel cars in maharashtra.

I have made payment of 1 lakh rs cheque for fortuner last week and will be making the balance payment tomorw,my car is being delivered before 31st march.My question is that the hile is applicable from today or april 1st??

Last edited by kedarwalke : 26th March 2012 at 22:12.
kedarwalke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 22:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Price increase in maharashtra on petrol and diesel cars respectively

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Just the saw news on national tv that as per the state budget price will increase by 2% on petrol cars and 4% on diesel cars in maharashtra...My question is that the hile is applicable from today or april 1st??
If it's on the road tax, it should be from Apr 01, 2012. Since you have mentioned MH, I assume it's the state tax. Be happy & make sure to register your vehicle before Apr, 01. I suggest you get it done ASAP, as there will be LOTS of registration happening on Mar 30 & 31, and RTO guys will be swamped!

Edit:: I hope the car has reached the dealer already!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th March 2012 at 22:20. Reason: Adding "Edit" portion.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 22:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

If it's on the road tax, it should be from Apr 01, 2012. Since you have mentioned MH, I assume it's the state tax. Be happy & make sure to register your vehicle before Apr, 01. I suggest you get it done ASAP, as there will be LOTS of registration happening on Mar 30 & 31, and RTO guys will be swamped!

Edit:: I hope the car has reached the dealer already!
It is state tax.
Vehicle in stockyard in vasai,he has given chasis no.
I will make payment tomorow.i just hope the dealer does not ask for the hike amount.

Last edited by kedarwalke : 26th March 2012 at 22:37.
kedarwalke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 23:46   #4
BHPian

Ah more bad news.. My car has just left Maruti today and unlikely to be delivered before the 31st.

My question is, will this increase of 2/4% be on the ex-showroom price of the car? An when will this be paid? With octroi/invoicing/registration?
Old 27th March 2012, 00:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Price increase in Maharashtra on petrol and diesel cars respectively

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
It is state tax.
Vehicle in stockyard in vasai,he has given chasis no.
I will make payment tomorow.i just hope the dealer does not ask for the hike amount.
If the car has left the factory before Mar 16, 2012, the dealer can't ask for extra money. So just make sure to have a look at the invoice date as well. And about the 4% extra sum, the dealer has nothing to do with it & it's going to go into the state treasury, so why would they bother. If the car has left after Mar 16, I guess there will be some additional excise duty on the ex. showroom price [declared during the national budget].

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
My question is, will this increase of 2/4% be on the ex-showroom price of the car? An when will this be paid? With octroi/invoicing/registration?
Yes, on the ex showroom price, to be paid as Road tax/registration. You are doubly unlucky, there will be some additional duty on the ex. showroom price as well!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th March 2012 at 00:26.
Old 27th March 2012, 08:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

The worst fears have come true. Indeed the tax on Diesel and Petrol cars will be hiked by 4 and 2 % respectively. So now the tax rate for the petrol vehicle upto 7 L has gone up to 9%, Vehicles from 8-20L has gone up to 10% whereas tax for vehicle s above 20L is now 11%.

The only saving grace of the budget is the reduction in the taxed for the CNG vehicles which comes down to 2% across all price slabs.

Budget 2012: LPG, dry fruits get costlier in Maharashtra - Money - DNA
Old 27th March 2012, 09:31   #7
BANNED

I cannot wait for GST to come in. Then the high taxation states like MH will be in serious trouble. Lower ST/VAT, no Octroi...
Old 27th March 2012, 10:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I cannot wait for GST to come in. Then the high taxation states like MH will be in serious trouble. Lower ST/VAT, no Octroi...
So many budgets have gone by and GST is still in the limbo. I don't think any government is serious about getting it implemented.
Old 27th March 2012, 11:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

GST implementation will take more time because State Governments will lose additional income that they have generated over the years by adding additional Taxes. Central Government is having hard time convincing all the States.

But I feel it is a good idea to impose more taxes on Cars as government will always need more money & taxes on Cars may have its own benefits. But each such increase in Taxes on Car should be accompanied in reduction in duties on Fuel (especially Petrol). We all know that almost 50% of the price we pay for Petrol / Diesel goes as Taxes to State & Central government.

Thanks,
Old 27th March 2012, 11:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

@sgiitk, On the GST, and high taxation states getting into trouble, specifically MH. Don't you think KA will be hit more, i hear lot of stories about high taxation in MH (Octroi and all), Karnataka has been having highest taxes in-spite of having no Octroi.

Any idea, when is GST proposed to be implemented?
Old 27th March 2012, 12:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Any idea, when is GST proposed to be implemented?
Hello Mayank,

In his Budget speech Pranab Mukherjee has "Requested" all the Political Parties to come to a concensus for early GST Implementation. There is not promised date this time.

Earlier the dates proposed were 01.04.2011 then 01.10.2011 which was then revised to 01.04.2012, but still no clarity till date. That is why in this budget Pranab Mukherjee has not proposed any dates, but just requested for a political concensus, which we know is very difficult in India, except for salary hike of MP's & MLA's.

Below is a good article featuring Sushil Kumar Modi's view on GST implementation delay:
Sushil Kumar Modi | States not responsible for GST delays - Economy and Politics - livemint.com

Thanks,

Last edited by noopster : 27th March 2012 at 14:52. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Jignesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 13:19   #12
BHPian

buying a Swift Diesel is costlier by 23000 INR in Mumbai now.
FM did not increase any duty on diesel vehicles in central budget but i am afraid that the states have taken a hint and are going to implement a hike at state level one after the other.
Attached Thumbnails
Price increase in Maharashtra  on petrol and diesel cars respectively-addnl.jpg  

Old 27th March 2012, 13:20   #13
BHPian

What is the meaning of state tax? I am still unable to get it. Is it the road tax? The news item does not explicitly say so. Or will it be included in ex-showroom price. I have seen ex-showroom price vary across cities on various manufacturers site for same make and model.
Old 27th March 2012, 14:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
What is the meaning of state tax? I am still unable to get it. Is it the road tax? The news item does not explicitly say so. Or will it be included in ex-showroom price. I have seen ex-showroom price vary across cities on various manufacturers site for same make and model.
Hello Shipnil,

This is increase in Sales Tax done by mahashtra Govt in Budget State Budget it persented yesterday.
Sales Tax is charged on Sales of Good in a State & it is levied (& decided) by respective state govts. Sales tax is entirely in jurisdiction of State Govts & they can increase or decrease it as per their needs.

Same happened in case of Mobile Phones. Mahashtra Govt introducted 12.5% VAT on sales of Mobiles, while in Gujarat the same was at 4%.

Yes. The Ex-Showroom price of Cars is different in various cities due to above reasons & add to it duties like Octroi charged by some local municipalties. Cars in Mumbai (in Maharashtra) are costliest because apart from all the other Tax & charges, we have to pay Octroi.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 15:12   #15
BANNED

I think the GST will come eventually, in the not too distant future. The software infrastructure is supposed to be ready by August this year. In any case the proposed initial rate for GST is 22% so all should be happy. I guess a lot of the NDA opposition is political, since they will like to do in their govt. They mooted the idea in the first place.

Quite often what they say is not even close to the truth. Take FDI in Retail. The main opposition is from the middlemen who fund all politicos. With the big boys coming in there will at most be one layer between the manufacturer and retailer. A huge percentage of fresh food is wasted, so how the reduction in the middlemen and wastage not benefit the consumer. All they say is just poppycock.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks