Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2012, 19:02   #16
BHPian

re: Why don't car companies design a decent Electric-Vehicle?

2006 - Who killer the electric car

2011 - Revenge of the electric car (from the same directors)

I think you are not up to date with the developments
Attached Thumbnails
Why don't car companies design a decent Electric-Vehicle?-revenge-electric-car.jpg  

aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 19:09   #17
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Interesting discussion. I remember seeing a documentary where they mentioned that EVs are not eco-friendly. They just move the pollution from the city to the outskirts ( coal powerplant and toxic wastes from batteries ). But it does satisfy the needs of the city "elite" who want to flaunt their "greenness".

Another point, most calculations go for a toss when you consider that the electricity you get at home is subsidized.
Old 27th March 2012, 20:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
How difficult it would be to design a EV car which can do 150kms in single recharge ? Or they really don't want to design it ?
Do you think you would buy one? How much would you be willing to pay?
Old 27th March 2012, 20:36   #19
BHPian

Re: Why the car companies can't design a decent EV, or they don't want to ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Hybrids are a good start though. GM themselves went full electric with Chevrolet VOLT and Opel Ampera. Nissan Leaf, Fiskar and numerous other brands are good step in that direction. Last I heard some company funded by GM has been able to increase the Enerrgy density by three folds. Sign of good things to come in future.
Hybrids apparently aren't selling well. GM had to lay off several workers at it's plants due to lack of demand: Excessive Channel Stuffing Forces GM To Halt Chevy Volt Production, Fire 1,300 | ZeroHedge

In my opinion, a better option would be for the world to move towards automated transport instead of letting every individual drive their own transport, from safety and efficiency perspectives. I'm sure I'd get a mouthful from fellow bhpians for saying that ..
Old 27th March 2012, 22:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
In my opinion, a better option would be for the world to move towards automated transport instead of letting every individual drive their own transport, from safety and efficiency perspectives. I'm sure I'd get a mouthful from fellow bhpians for saying that ..
Well, I foresee very soon GM's EN-V type vehicles mushrooming all over by all manufacturers, that looks like promising, safe, environmental friendly solution for personal transport (See 2012 Auto Expo vehicles for EN-V).
Old 27th March 2012, 23:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Well, I foresee very soon GM's EN-V type vehicles mushrooming all over by all manufacturers, that looks like promising, safe, environmental friendly solution for personal transport (See 2012 Auto Expo vehicles for EN-V).
Its been more than a decade since the first consumer hybrid vehicle began selling in the US. As of today, hybrid sales account for ~2% or less of total vehicle sales in the US. The percentage is even less for other first world countries. I mention 'first world' because these markets have more purchasing power and higher degree of acceptance. If a 'new' concept still isn't able to penetrate beyond 2% in one of the most open consumer markets in the world after a decade, then is it successful ?

As you say, you may see electrical vehicles on the road. But chances are they will be minuscule in number. Designing an electric vehicle is one thing. Making it feasible for the masses is an entirely different game.

Case in point, Chevy's Volt, which is an 'extended range' electric vehicle. The car basically runs purely on an battery power for the first ~40 miles and then there is a small IC engine that kicks in to charge the batteries that run the electric engine. Despite its brilliant engineering GM is absolutely nowhere close to their targeted 40,000 production for this car, thanks to the steep price tag on the car, and thanks to a poor customer perception as to exactly what this car is.

My point is, there isn't a wide enough consumer base in automotive world yet that is willing to accept unconventional technology, thanks to its high price-point. We may wince at the petroleum prices but fact is that there is still no viable alternative for it from a vehicle producers perspective, and even from a consumers perspective.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks