Team-BHP - BMW to recall 3422 cars in India for fixing Battery Fault
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   BMW to recall 3422 cars in India for fixing Battery Fault (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/118262-bmw-recall-3422-cars-india-fixing-battery-fault.html)

As per this article from TOI:

Link.

Quote:

NEW DELHI: The list of car recalls in India is bulging with German luxury maker BMW calling back over 3,422 units of its 5-series and 6-series models to fix a potential problem with a battery-cable cover. BMW's recall comes within a short span of similar call backs by companies like Tata Motors, Nissan, Rolls Royce, Honda and Maruti to replace faulty parts.

BMW's India recall is part of aglobal exercise and will see the company fix the problem on a total of 3,422 units sold between the year 2007 and 2010. "In some remote cases, the battery cable cover inside the boot of these vehicles may be incorrectly mounted. This can result in the electrical system malfunctioning, the vehicle failing to start and, in some cases, to charring or fire," BMW said....

Now is the right time to discuss the fire in this BMW - Thread link.

BMW has silently put in a line saying: "There has not been any accidents or injury to persons due to this fault."

Quote:

Originally Posted by moralfibre (Post 2728681)

BMW has silently put in a line saying: "There has not been any accidents or injury to persons due to this fault."

Nice information Moralfibre. :)

Now the reason or one of the cause for the fire accident can be found. The cable cover may be the fire causing agent. ut how did they zero down on the cable cover?

BMW also joins the roost of recalls. Good move anyway, :thumbs up even if they are silent about any accident.

3422 units of the 5 and 6 is a large % of total number of these two cars on Indian roads.

Giving the date range of 2007 to 2010, I am guessing this would mainly be almost every E60 sold in India. I guess both of my cars would be a part of the recall as one is end 2007 mfd and other 2009.

The BMW website has nothing about this recall yet. How does one find out if their car needs to be sent in? Will the entire battery be replaced or just the cable?

Perhaps Maverick can shed some light on this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 2729494)
3422 units of the 5 and 6 is a large % of total number of these two cars on Indian roads.

Giving the date range of 2007 to 2010, I am guessing this would mainly be almost every E60 sold in India. I guess both of my cars would be a part of the recall as one is end 2007 mfd and other 2009.

The BMW website has nothing about this recall yet. How does one find out if their car needs to be sent in? Will the entire battery be replaced or just the cable?

Perhaps Maverick can shed some light on this?

@ Sahil, Yes the campaign is applicable on both your cars. An mailer will be sent shortly to all the affected customers.

We have not faced this concern in any of the 5er or 6er which are on road from 2005. To check the correctness of the vehicle, a battery terminal which is below the luggage trim needs to be checked for tightness, which may have come loose due to vibrations, temperature variations etc. Primary symptoms would be sporadic electrical failures and warnings in the car and in extremely rare cases the underfloor panel may catch fire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moralfibre (Post 2728681)
As per this article from TOI:

Link.

@ Moralfibre: The Bangalore incident was an F10, I doubt that case has anything to do with this recall.

I have heard about this, the recalls are being made in the US as well. Maverick I believe my car is still at Navneet for some oil-leak problem, I don't have much of an idea of what is going on since my parents dealt with the service center. Could you please take a look into it and get back to me as to what is going on? At the same time could you perform the recall check for the battery? Number plate is 5184.

Greatly appreciate it if you could help a fellow member out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazyking (Post 2730556)
I have heard about this, the recalls are being made in the US as well. Maverick I believe my car is still at Navneet for some oil-leak problem, I don't have much of an idea of what is going on since my parents dealt with the service center. Could you please take a look into it and get back to me as to what is going on? At the same time could you perform the recall check for the battery? Number plate is 5184.

Greatly appreciate it if you could help a fellow member out.

Hi Krazyking, The recall is applicable for your 525i as well. Is your car with the regd. MH43 5184? The car is not in our workshop and last visited in Aug 2011@ 17K kms. Maybe the car is with Infinity, could you please confirm it.