Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 19:48   #31
BHPian

Re: Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs

Guys, here's an update to the feature list GTO mentioned in beginning:

Air-Cluster ionizer : This eliminates foul odour in HVAC unit due to dampness and mold creation thereof.
Supervision Cluster : changes to the instrument panel incorporating a small LCD to display host of information like kms to empty, average mileage, average speed etc. Also better lit.
Smart pedal system : Brake pedal take precedence over the accelerator pedal in case of emergency. Not too excited about this, as I like as much of machine control as possible in my hands and feet.
Clutch lock system : Remember faintly this being in Getz. Useful feature to prevent jump starts when parked in a gear. Not there in current i20.
One Touch Triple Turn Signal : Three flashes of turn indicator, before auto turn-off. Useful while changing lanes. Fancy!
Speed sensing auto door locking : Guess this could be activated in outgoing model too as indicated by Wildon in one of the threads.
Impact sensing auto door unlocking : Wasn't this in the outgoing model as well? A must anyways.
Reverse Parking Sensors and reverse parking camera with integration in RVM : this is a nice to have feature. Although cheap and easily available in after market, the fit wasn't always neat.
Push Button Start : Kills a unique feature of the Micra.

For all these features without much change in prices, just one word Hyundai - Impressive!

Last edited by CareFreeKid : 28th March 2012 at 19:56.
Old 28th March 2012, 19:49   #32
Senior - BHPian

Nice set of features.

However i will reserve my comments unless and until more clarity comes on the resolution of AC cooling and steering rattle problem.
Old 28th March 2012, 20:20   #33
BHPian

Q that will be relevant to existing i20 owners is what new features will be compatible in existing model? Arm rest? Supervision cluster? Reverse ECM? Reverse camera?
Old 28th March 2012, 20:22   #34
BHPian

Isn't the variant list too long? I prefer the earlier looks more. This seems deliberate effort to plaster i10's face on to the 120. The front doesn't seem natural and a bit busy.

Additional features are welcome.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 28th March 2012 at 20:23.
Old 28th March 2012, 20:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeKid View Post
Hyundai sure packs its cars with features. They are also gaining a reputation for introducing a segment higher features or even those unheard of in a segment. Auto headlamps, rain-sensing wipers, all four disc brakes, heated ORVMs and the driver hand rest are testimony to this (correct me if other hatches already have this as standard in comparable variants).

Absolutely couldn't agree with you more CFK. They did the same with the fluidic Verna raising the bar substantially by bringing in segment firsts like engine start/stop button, smart key, rear parking assist with camera, 6 airbags, disc brakes on all 4 corners etc. All perhaps at the cost of high speed handling. But look what it's done to the sales figures of the Verna with buyers making a beeline for the dealerships.

That apart, the 1.2 Kappa VTVT engine is a much desired change, and I hope this has been sufficiently remapped to give the new car a i10-ish peppiness.

I wouldn't have thought so. The power on the 1.2 (albeit a VTVT) has been bumped up only marginally possibly to keep costs down without compromising on efficiency. Besides the i10 has a much better power to weight ratio as opposed to its older brother which significantly contributes to its zippyness. That being said, if the i20 were to still inherit the i20's peppiness at lower speeds, that'll be some feat by the engineers at Hyundai.

No news yet on the steering rattle issue though. Hyundai would be doing itself the best self-service by having eliminated the cars infamous steering rattle and suspension issue and not just sticking to cosmetic feature upgrades. If they have, Hyundai should forget the never-heard-in-segment-features and focus marketing on this one upgrade alone Buyers would surely make a bee-line to its showrooms. If it has not, it'll be very very sad, and a disservice to a great product.
Well said CFK. However I doubt they'll be basing the marketing of the FL car on the shortcomings of the outgoing generation alone because that would be implicit admission of guilt, of their failure to identify and address those much publicised issues with steering rattle and AC performance - which they've never done so far btw. Segment firsts seems to be their mantra.
Old 28th March 2012, 20:56   #36
BHPian

More details on variants and feature availability
Smart Pedal and Clutch Lock is available from base variant onwards for Petrol and Diesel
Reverse Parking Sensors from Magna onwards (P/D)
SmartKey with button start, Auto Light Control, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Outside door handles on Asta (P/D).
Speed Sensing Auto Door Locks only on Petrol Asta (O)

On A/C performance
Higher AC effectiveness with improved engine & Rear AC Ducts
Pollution free & fresh cabin atmosphere with Cluster ionizer (Clean Air) (1st In Segment)

Here is what Hyundai itself is taking about the steering in the F/L i20. Not sure though whether this is going to fix the dreaded rattles. Also no mention of any fine tuning on suspension.
Attached Thumbnails
Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs-hyundai.jpg  

Last edited by dodge3p : 28th March 2012 at 21:23.
dodge3p is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 21:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

The features and the pricing are really impressive. Now it would make a stronger case for the mind, but a lesser case for the heart. The new face is no better in the Maharaja Red colour too. I dislike the design changes to the current (Oops! previous) i-20. The only positive change in the looks department is in the form of the dark grey interiors, the chocolate coloured dash has always been a big No-No!
Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs-hyundaii20faceliftinterior.jpg
Picture courtesy, indianautosblog.com
Old 28th March 2012, 21:16   #38
BHPian

Nice set of features. Now only if this would fix the AC and the steering rattles, I would be a happy camper! Overall a great job by hyundai.
Old 28th March 2012, 21:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

I saw the face-lifted export model on road near Chennai last week. The car looks much better in person than in pictures. Sure, it is not as striking as the first model when it came out. That was like a proper Euro hatch.

And it looks like they haven't fitted the Indian model with those wacky DRLs. Thank God for that.

The Diesel variants get new features and they have dropped the price as well. And Sports gets ABS, EBD & rear disc brakes. Good move. The old Magna D had those when it first came out.

Hope Hyundai has fixed the cooling of HVAC & the steering rattle. A steering which is more direct will also be much appreciated.

The alloys are 14" still. The export version I saw had lovely 15".
Old 28th March 2012, 21:28   #40
Senior - BHPian

If the engine meets BS V norms five speed manual would be adequate because the sixth gear in the earlier version was to pass the test.
Hope that the steering rattles are addressed in the new one.
Old 28th March 2012, 21:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Somehow I feel Hyundai needs to change the blue console lighting that it is following in 2012 models in all its cars. That is somehow degrading some great products imho.
Old 28th March 2012, 22:13   #42
BHPian

I think the old i20 had a lot more character. This one seems ugly to me.

This is the way upgrades should happen. Most of the features are not even available in my civic :(
Honda better learn from this for once.
Old 28th March 2012, 22:50   #43
BHPian

(off topic!)
What even cars hyundai makes, its really one sad company in its IT dept. they make a really lousy website, they have javascript and html content that only Explorer can render! What kind of company does not even test its own web site of all browsers!

As for the new i20, this is a serious upgrade, look at what the car has to offer now, how may cars below 10L offer this experience (not the drive dynamics)? None. Now if one wants to really buy a luxury hatch what would be your take (espeically if you want a D heart)?
man_and_machine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 23:18   #44
BHPian

I had done my booking last week for i20 crdi ASTA and today the dealer has done the internal blocking of the car.Have asked him to do for BRONZE colour without even seeing it. Can someone help me with some pictures of BRONZE colour.not able to see it anywhere in google.
Old 28th March 2012, 23:31   #45
BHPian

The website hasn't been updated yet. I guess some people inside hyundai itself were caught by surprise too. Any update on the colors?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks