Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2012, 12:04   #61
BHPian

Re: Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs

I somehow don't like the front end of the new one. The old one had a character. This one is missing it.

But wow, That's some really nice features! Polo gets introduced with steering controls and some new features, so , Hyundai goes a step further and goes bonkers with the feature list. It was doing a constant 8k all these months, I don't see it doing any less now with a better petrol engine and *possibly* a more powerful AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
The pricing hasnt changed only change is that they had introduced a ERA variant. It isn't exactly cheap or VFM.

Feature list is super long though.

Yeah the two major issues reported so far on the forum were

1. A/C isn't powerful enough
2. Steering rack noise issue, which as per few is a design fault.

Reference thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-1-2-a-54.html

Any news if these issues have been addressed ?
The AC issue was only reported with the Petrol i20's AFAIK. Have been using the i20 diesel 6 speed for over 18 months now. Haven't had an issue with the AC as yet. Yeah, its a bit slow to cool if the cabin gets heated up when you park in direct sunlight. But, Auto at 20 degress and with circulation on, It does its job really well

My car has run 22k so far, I could hear a slight rattle just before giving it for 3rd service. I notified it to them, I don't know what they have done, its not come back. It wasn't very annoying in the first place either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
This is not mentioned in the features list. The features list mentions the below, which are already present in the current i20.

Warning indicators: Gear Shift, Door Ajar, Low fuel and seat belt reminder.
MID: Dual Tripmeter, Clock, Audio display, Date, engine running time and outside temperature.

Why are they still stuck on 14" alloys? They should have got in the 15" now.

Also, are they providing the Audio-Video navigational (AVN) system in the facelift? I dont see it mentioned anywhere. Was it a flop in the previous version?
All the above mentioned indicators were already present in the current gen model. Including the gear indicator which i have in my car. It was only available in the 6 speed i20 diesel though. Wasn't available on the petrol AFAIK. They removed it subsequently when they dropped the 6 speed and got back to the 5 gear version when the fluidic Verna got introduced (They used the same gearbox).

The AVN had some issues and it was super overpriced. 55k for a that unit was just not done. Guess they dropped it coz it flopped previously. The i20 petrol auto version with the AVN costed close to 10 lakh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
Navigation was offered as an option in the previous edition 'Asta' variant IIRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeKid View Post
I had read about the Supervision Cluster in the higher end Hyundai cars. Those displayed the parameters I mentioned, and guessed the same are available in i20 now.

However, the new i20 comes with a Supervision Cluster available only in the Asta variants which includes electronic fuel level indicator, engine temp, gear shift and door ajar indicators(indicates the specific door open as against a general beep earlier).
There was a door ajar indicator earlier too and no beep. But, it was a common indicator for all the doors. (as in, you could not specifically make out which door was ajar). Indicating which door specifically is ajar is a neat addition if at all they managed to give that as well. The digital fuel and temp gauge are also neat additions.
Old 29th March 2012, 12:21   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
The AC issue was only reported with the Petrol i20's AFAIK.
My August 2009 i20 CRDi has a terrible terrible A/C. Both the petrol and diesel have the same A/c compressor/electronics AFAIK.
Old 29th March 2012, 12:30   #63
BHPian

I agree with the overall sentiment on looks - the front grill doesn't somehow gel well with the rest of the car's design. That feature list is pretty awesome - I'm glad Hyundai is cramming their cars with so many features, as the competition's feature lists are starting to look sparse.

On a related note: My Petrol i20 Asta has seen 22,000 kms so far, and I've had no trouble with it so far. Done a few long (high speed) highway runs, though 95% of everyday driving is in the city. AC is working fine, no rattles (appeared once, was fixed immediately), handling is perfectly fine to me for city driving and the occasional highway run.

The old i20 is a spacious, solidly built, hassle free car (in my experience) and I'm sure the new one will be too. Sure, it might not appeal to the "enthusiast" crowd here on Team BHP but as a luxurious city hatch, I think there's nothing close to what the i20 offers.

I'd love to buy another i20 - got my eyes on a sedan/MUV in the near future however as family needs start to grow.
darksoul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 12:34   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the above mentioned indicators were already present in the current gen model. Including the gear indicator which i have in my car. It was only available in the 6 speed i20 diesel though. Wasn't available on the petrol AFAIK. .
The gear shift indicator is present in the Petrol version.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 12:45   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
My August 2009 i20 CRDi has a terrible terrible A/C. Both the petrol and diesel have the same A/c compressor/electronics AFAIK.
Hmm. Then i don't know Maybe they changed something later. Mine is the 2011 November model. I also use the darkest of sunfilms (The 3M CS 5). No clue if this has a role to play. I might be biased if i say i don't have a problem with the cooling since i own it and might not have a proper scale for comparison , but, since i have asked many people who have traveled with me over the past 18 months, none have had any complaints with the AC. (This includes a few Team-bhpians too). Cheers.
Old 29th March 2012, 13:02   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I might be biased if i say i don't have a problem with the cooling since i own it and might not have a proper scale for comparison , but, since i have asked many people who have traveled with me over the past 18 months, none have had any complaints with the AC. (This includes a few Team-bhpians too). Cheers.
Hehe.. I have been in the same boat.

In the i20, the front seat occupants are ok, its the rear seat occupants which get roasted.

I always doubted if the i20 A/c was bad or whether I was getting too spoilt.

I just got a Nissan Sunny and although its not a fair comparison, I can confidently say that the i20 A/C is TERRIBLE.
Old 29th March 2012, 13:17   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Hehe.. I have been in the same boat.

In the i20, the front seat occupants are ok, its the rear seat occupants which get roasted.

I always doubted if the i20 A/c was bad or whether I was getting too spoilt.

I just got a Nissan Sunny and although its not a fair comparison, I can confidently say that the i20 A/C is TERRIBLE.
Hmm.

5 people . Goa - Bangalore -- A pretty hot day. No problem.

5 people - Bangalore - Shimoga on many a hot days. No problem. (Shimoga happens to be my hometown)

5 People - Sakleshpur - Bangalore on a hot day (Yeah. I remember stopping at a CCD on the way, there was a sit out, but no one could use it coz it was a sweltering summer day) - No problem reported.

I guess its got to do with some change they did or with my sun-films doing some magic. Sad to know you have problems with it :(
Old 29th March 2012, 13:33   #68
BHPian

i20's ac has been a point of contention, specially in Delhi and other cities with high summer temperatures. Since i20 does not have a dedicated engine for itself(shares with i10), Hyundai has kept the compressor size smaller to maintain a overall balance in car's performance, given that i20 is heavier than the i10. There's a thread related to this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...c-systems.html

Note that all i20 specific information is for outgoing version. No clues on whether the compressor has been upgraded along with the Kappa VTVT engine.
Old 29th March 2012, 14:05   #69
BHPian

Quote:
The pricing hasnt changed only change is that they had introduced a ERA variant. It isn't exactly cheap or VFM.
Hi

The ERA variant which you are talking about has been in the market for quite some time.
I donot think that it is a new launch.
Also, it is a VFM for those planning to customise their i20 with their own ICE.

Cheers
Old 29th March 2012, 14:42   #70
BHPian

My friend has a 2011 Asta CRDi and having driven the car many a time, I tend to agree with the overall sentiment on the HVAC performance. It struggles to keep up with humidity and temperatures in excess of 35 C especially if the cabin is exposed to direct sunlight. And this is the sultry heat of Mumbai we're talking about, not the dry heat of the interiors. Oftentimes, we've pulled the temperature all the way down to 16/Lo and yet the AC constantly screams for help. Maxing out the blower speed doesn't help much either besides creating quite a ruckus in the cabin.
Old 29th March 2012, 15:02   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepanonline View Post
I had done my booking last week for i20 crdi ASTA and today the dealer has done the internal blocking of the car.Have asked him to do for BRONZE colour without even seeing it. Can someone help me with some pictures of BRONZE colour.not able to see it anywhere in google.
Deepan, my wife has also booked the Petrol Asta and is torn between the Bronze and the White. When we spoke to the dealership yesterday, they had no clue the color was even launched much less knowing what it would be like (apparently it's a first of sorts for the Hyundai family which might explain Google firing blanks too). Will try to dig out a reference for the group if I manage to find one, suggest you do the same
Old 29th March 2012, 15:21   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T
2. Steering rack noise issue, which as per few is a design fault.

Any news if these issues have been addressed ?
No guarantee that it has been solved:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2729214

Had a chance to have a lookie at the new i20 at Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore. I agree that it it does not look as bad in flesh. Hate the new grille though.
Old 29th March 2012, 15:50   #73
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Like the feature list that they have come up with. They have kind off like the xuv incorporated most good to have features that they could think of and since we as a nation seem to have taken a fancy for features vs the drive itself they too have focused on that important parameter.

Should do well though I feel thy could have created a more basic AT varient as well as an option to the i10 AT Sports in a lower i20 trim.
Old 29th March 2012, 16:08   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Slightly softer on the looks department..
Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
IMHO they have softened the looks a bit in this facelift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
The front-end treatment looks a bit fussy, for lack of a better word. .....but there are bound to be a few who would prefer the older i20, yours truly included.
The i10's facelift was executed much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I feel the exteriors are bad compared to the outgoing model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
IMO I prefer the earlier looks to this, but I'll wait till I see it in real life to decide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Not as striking as the first model when it came out. That was like a proper Euro hatch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I dislike the design changes to the current (Oops! previous) i-20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I prefer the earlier looks more. This seems deliberate effort to plaster i10's face on to the 120. The front doesn't seem natural and a bit busy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
But can't really digest the looks. The old i20's front end was classier IMHO. This one looks ridiculous
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
I any day prefer the current i20 design over this one. The front just looks too plain
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
I think the old i20 had a lot more character. This one seems ugly to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksoul View Post
I agree with the overall sentiment on looks - the front grill doesn't somehow gel well with the rest of the car's design.
Quote:
I somehow don't like the front end of the new one. The old one had a character. This one is missing it.
Wow.... hardly anyone thinks the 'facelift's' for the better. In my opinion it's too bland. In a segment that's rife with competition, they should have made the i20 stand out even more but instead they've toned it down. The front end kinda resembles the bland front end of a Figo.
Old 29th March 2012, 16:29   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Deepan, my wife has also booked the Petrol Asta and is torn between the Bronze and the White. When we spoke to the dealership yesterday, they had no clue the color was even launched much less knowing what it would be like (apparently it's a first of sorts for the Hyundai family which might explain Google firing blanks too). Will try to dig out a reference for the group if I manage to find one, suggest you do the same
This is what i got in google - HYUNDAI BRONZE COLOR PICTURES

hyundai bronze color pictures - Google Search

looks good.but dont know this is what they meant as BRONZE in i20 too
deepanonline is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks