Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2012, 14:51   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Every time when Hyundai comes up with any upgrades in i20 they claim they have solved the steering / suspension issues. But the truth is, it is still present in all i20's produced so far.
I had a casual chat with someone who seemed like the Sales Manager at Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore. When we were looking at the new i20, he said it was the new model, has many new features and it had just arrived at their showroom. No indications about the price.

I told him it may have many new features but has the steering rattle issue been addressed? He seemed reluctant to talk about it and said no cases in Mangalore were reported(big fat lie!!!!! I know atleast a couple - Advaith was involved in one of those cases ). Then I said even in Mangalore there are cases. To which he reluctantly replied only a few batches/models were affected and that it has been fixed.

I said no and that I can prove it. The steering rack in our i20 was changed twice, yet the issue persists and that we had to go to court over the issue. There was a look on his face which seemed to suggest that he thought I was joking. I showed him the recent e-mail I received from Hyundai regarding the new steering rack "fix" experiment(no guarantee that the issue will be fixed). He simply nodded his head, with a look of shock on his face.

To me, it seems, these guys are trained to say such lies, how to handle people who come enquiring about the steering rattle issue. No wonder these Hyundai fellows are not serious about the issue
Old 30th March 2012, 18:41   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
What I fail to understad is that the AT (Sportz) is 7.67L while the Sportz is 5.75L. The differential between the AT and the corresponding MT used to be under 1L. Agreed it is a 1.4L against the 1.2L but still the diference appears to be too high. Also, what are the differences between the Sportz & Asta. As usual the Hyundai site is junk, it will not even scroll the specs (that too in IE only).

One other point, what is the AT the old 3+1 or something better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Sid, I would disagree on few of the points here. ABS is not standard on Sportz models. And AVN is available as an option. Please find the link below to the brochure with all the features list (couldn't attach it here as its over 18MB)

http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/wcm/gro...ent/287246.pdf
That is the old model brochure.

Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs-dsc_0675.jpg

The current facelift brochure. The same is posted just a few pages back. Hope this proves you wrong. If not, then this pic surely will. Courtesy goa on wheels.

Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs-hyundaii20facliftrear.jpg

Quote:
Even the Dzire AT has ABS. So Hyundai are playing games. Reduces my enthusiasm. Also, do I mean no response to mean that it is the pathetic 3+1 box or there is no information.

Last edited by sidindica : 30th March 2012 at 18:52.
Old 30th March 2012, 18:49   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
..I told him it may have many new features but has the steering rattle issue been addressed?
In one of the reports I read, some Hyundai head had specifically mentioned that the rattling issues have been taken care of. The explanation was given that there was something wrong with the dash design and they have used some additional re-inforcement & have tweaked the design so prevent the rattles. So looks like the top guys are aware of the issue, but failed to sort it out on the pre face-lifted versions.
Old 30th March 2012, 19:06   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
In one of the reports I read, some Hyundai head had specifically mentioned that the rattling issues have been taken care of. The explanation was given that there was something wrong with the dash design and they have used some additional re-inforcement & have tweaked the design so prevent the rattles.
If so, they should be able to give guarantee that the issue will be sorted out after the supposedly new design steering rack is replaced in my car(2009 1.2 Asta), isn't it? I was told on e-mail that they have changed the materials used for construction of the rack & yoke plug in the "new" steering rack. Still no guarantee from them that the issue will been sorted out once the rack is installed on my car.

What it means is that they are still unsure whether the issue has been sorted out or not.
Old 30th March 2012, 19:16   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I fail to understad is that the AT (Sportz) is 7.67L while the Sportz is 5.75L. The differential between the AT and the corresponding MT used to be under 1L.
I remember very clearly, when I bought the Asta in 2009, that the 1.2 MT was 6.87 while the 1.4 AT was 8.46 OTR Mumbai for the Asta (O).

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 30th March 2012 at 19:18.
Old 30th March 2012, 19:33   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
If so, they should be able to give guarantee that the issue will be sorted out after the supposedly new design steering rack is replaced in my car(2009 1.2 Asta), isn't it?....What it means is that they are still unsure whether the issue has been sorted out or not.
My comment was for the face-lifted version! This comment by one of the heads was made at the time of unveiling the face-lift versions somewhere. So am NOT sure this was ever fixed on the pre-facelift versions!
Old 30th March 2012, 19:44   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

My comment was for the face-lifted version! This comment by one of the heads was made at the time of unveiling the face-lift versions somewhere. So am NOT sure this was ever fixed on the pre-facelift versions!
Well, as per the mail I received from Hyundai, the "new" steering rack is now being used on the facelifted i20s. The same rack , they want to install in my i20 in an attempt to fix the issue, no guarantees however that the issue will be fixed after doing so.
Old 31st March 2012, 09:41   #113
BANNED

@FlyingSpur; The difference in my Santro was about 75k while at the same MS was charging about 100k. Just checked the prices of the i10 the differentials are under75k!
Old 31st March 2012, 10:51   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica

That is the old model brochure.

The current facelift brochure. The same is posted just a few pages back.
Thanks for letting me know. If that is the case sportz version should be a good buy then. I sorely miss the ABS in my i20 sportz.

Infact, in 1year, they've added Bluetooth and ABS to the sportz version from the time I bought it making it a good VFM package.:-(
Old 31st March 2012, 10:52   #115
BHPian

Quote:
What I fail to understad is that the AT (Sportz) is 7.67L while the Sportz is 5.75L. The differential between the AT and the corresponding MT used to be under 1L. Agreed it is a 1.4L against the 1.2L but still the diference appears to be too high. Also, what are the differences between the Sportz & Asta. As usual the Hyundai site is junk, it will not even scroll the specs (that too in IE only).

One other point, what is the AT the old 3+1 or something better?
In Mumbai, the AT (Sportz) comes to 9.1 Lacs OTR which is insane! The corresponding gasoline Asta and Magna will set you back by 7.3L and 6.9L respectively. So the eventual difference is much larger - almost 1.8L over the Asta itself. What is Hyundai thinking??!

The 1.2 Asta now has a start-stop button, driver's height adjustment and all-disc brakes (not 100% sure). The 1.2 Sportz comes standard with ABS, rain-sensing wipers, auto headlamps, 14" alloys and so on.
Old 31st March 2012, 11:34   #116
BHPian

Finally looked up the new car. Incidentally it was parked right next to the pre-FL version so doing a quick comparo was easy. Quick takeaways:

1. Most definitely, the front looks a lot less meaty. The straight line across the nose (a la the fluidic Verna) makes the car look mellow in equal measure. The deck lid actually pushes the carmaker's logo down making the whole front lose its aggressive character and appear "slouched- down."

2. While not exactly despising them, I do not like the silly protruding tail-lamp cluster. It is not flush with the side body and this is a quirkiness trait that the Japs/Koreans are given to every now and then.

3. The new upholstery is kinda cheesy with generous amounts of brown thrown in. I think the earlier greys were better.

4. Hyundai has done away with the tacky-looking silver finish on the center console. It is now an understated mix of black and grey (or what appears to be grey) - surely a welcome change. It immediately lends the feeling of a segment a couple of notches higher.
Old 31st March 2012, 17:33   #117
BHPian

Quote:
@FlyingSpur; The difference in my Santro was about 75k while at the same MS was charging about 100k. Just checked the prices of the i10 the differentials are under75k!
Both of these companies use Imported components for their AT set of cars, like:
-Santro AT used Imported AT Gearbox mated to Locally build 1.1 Epsilon engine.
-i10 AT uses Imported AT Gearbox mated to Locally build 1.2 kappa engine.
-i20 AT uses Imported AT Gearbox mated to Imported 1.4 Gamma engine.
-Dzire uses Imported AT Gearbox mated to Locally build 1.2 k-series engine + ABS + Some additional Cosmetic bits.

Another factor affecting the price is the Market difference, as Suzuki Imports the components from Japan while Hyundai from Korea. So, Currency difference & Tax structure difference also comes into play for these business transactions.

So, due to all these varying reasons the Price difference between these cars vary differently.
Old 31st March 2012, 18:50   #118
BHPian

Folks I bought i20 asta diesel 4 months back. Now I am missing
1. Auto light
2. Auto wiper
3. Arm rest
4. Rear parking assist camera
5. Push button start
6. 6th gear
7. Gear shift indicator

They left cruise control for next facelift. Is it?

Though, Most of them makes me feel jealous, The front looks of last gen i20 is too good and sorry for the new one except for DRL (LEDs Isn't it?). That front look of current model makes up for all features missed . However, IMO Rattling and price might bring different views.
Old 31st March 2012, 19:21   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Today I had a look at the I20 . The bronze color looks royal. Important points

1. The head light is a dual setup with separate bulbs for high and low Beams .

2. The dashboard color is changed to grey. The seats are still brown.

3. The rear leg room is increased due to the length increase of the car.

4. Gets the fluidic verna type reverse camera and parking sensors with the display in mirror.

5. Rain sensing wiper and auto head lamps sensors has been incorporated into the wind shield behind the mirror.

Launch on April 4
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 20:05   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
...3. The rear leg room is increased due to the length increase of the car...
Length of the car increased? Highly unlikely! I don't think there is any dimension changes. The rear space increase might be due to some seat design changes.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks