Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2012, 18:00   #1
BHPian

Santro and Honda City - Favorites at Mahindra FirstChoice Wheels

Good news for those who are looking to trade their Santro or Honda City, they are favorites at the Mahindra Firstchoice Wheels! Read On!

Quote:
'The Hyundai Santro and Honda City from the B and C segments lead the sales at the multi-brand outlets of Mahindra FirstChoice Wheels (MFCW). These outlets display a variety of car models unlike the exclusive OE brand pre-owned car outlets, ranging from a Nano to a BMW 5-series or an Audi A4.

Among the key parameters driving car sales are the quality of drive experience, resale value of the car, cabin space, engine power, safety of driver and passengers with car prices kicking off from Rs 1 lakh and going upwards to Rs 7 lakh for an entry level BMW, Mercedes-Benz or an Audi. However, luxury cars constitute just about three percent of total sales of an MFCW outlet. While a used Santro can be bought at Rs 1 to Rs 3 lakh depending on its age and mileage, a Honda City can be sourced at Rs 3.5 to 4 lakh compared to a new City that carries a price tag of Rs 7 lakh.
Source & Full Article

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2012 at 11:53. Reason: Keeping fair usage practices in mind, it is best to include an excerpt + link to full article
vinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 18:09   #2
BHPian

Re: Santro and Honda City - Favorites at Mahindra FirstChoice Wheels

Indeed a good news. Thanks for bringing-in Vinair.

But - isn't the Hyundai & Honda will give better pricing - if you are planning to buy the new vehicle from the same Dealer ?. Isn't something called Exchange Bonus - which is over & above the price ?.
Old 30th March 2012, 18:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

That's good news. I recently got a quote 70k for my Santro from a Toyota dealer. At this price, I would spend on the new tyres, a few repairs and touchups and with about 20k spent on the car, drive it for another three to four years!

I shall sound out the MFC guys now, too!
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 05:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

The used car market favorites listed below, this one lists top five, i am sure there are more. (Source : India's best selling pre-owned cars| ET Slide Shows)

1. Maruti Alto
2. Maruti 800
3. Honda City
4. Hyundai Santro
5. Maruti Wagon R
Old 31st March 2012, 10:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Where is Swift, Dzire, Indica in the list.
I assume 800 will be not in the radar anymore looking at the current first hand sales!
Old 31st March 2012, 10:32   #6
Team-BHP Support

The fact that these cars lead the charts imply - they are the ones being sold off the most! If they are top selling; it means, owners of City are selling off their cars the most.

I understand why City is a hot favorite - petrol price et al, wonder why Santro has topped the pack.
Old 31st March 2012, 12:05   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The fact that these cars lead the charts imply - they are the ones being sold off the most! If they are top selling; it means, owners of City are selling off their cars the most.
Not sure, if that logic is correct. Except for those who buy them for the sheer love it, majority buy a car keeping the re-sale in mind. So if the city if being sold more, it means it is also being bought more (look at the monthly sales of city, there is no other petrol sedan even close to it). Its natural that after a few years it will land up at the hammer. This indicates a healthy cycle for the car.

if you see the rate at which an Alto gets a new home (from a dealer in Bangalore) its less than 2 weeks (average). Does it mean it gets just offloaded by their owners, not so.
Old 31st March 2012, 13:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
wonder why Santro has topped the pack.
It's truly a VFM car, which is what the used car buyers like to search for. Low cost of maintenance, very spacious, good seating position and overall view, good for elders as they don't have to 'sit down'.
Old 31st March 2012, 13:42   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Good news for those who are looking to trade their Santro or Honda City, they are favorites at the Mahindra Firstchoice Wheels! Read On!
This has been the trait since long. Primary reasons being.
  • Reliability
  • Fuel Efficiency
  • Comfort
  • Ease of Maintenance
  • Practicality.
  • Ages properly.
Any car, that offers these scores high in the used car market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Where is Swift, Dzire, Indica in the list.
Well.. going by the market, I guess Swift and Dzire owners dont part their cars easily, add to that, the nine-ten month waiting periods, and hence the extremely high(outrageous) resale.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 16:33   #10
BHPian

certainly interesting news.

Also, something that will make the City a hot fav is the recent price cuts on the 2012 Honda City. So prices of used cars also drop.

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2012 at 11:55. Reason: As per the recent mass PM, please do NOT use acronyms when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name.
Old 12th May 2012, 09:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I understand why City is a hot favorite - petrol price et al, wonder why Santro has topped the pack.
From my experience, I confidently tell, its a true value for money car (if you run less than 1000km a month). The value for money (VFM) is a trade off between the total benefits and total cost of ownership (TCO).

Total cost of ownership for a car - Vehicle cost + Maintenance Cost + Fuel Costs + Miscellaneous costs (Tax, Insurance, Tolls, Parking charges etc)

Last two factors, we cant help out but the vehicle cost is reasonable and affordable, especially for middle class Indian customers. Regrading maintenance, it is expensive than Maruthi equivalents but the important fact is the number of failures and cycle of maintenance, which I seen low in Santro - at least it don't make repeated problems, once corrected.

The benefits are:
a. true hassle free car - there is a very low probability that you will make a distress call (I never had one till today). This is very important when you are in a highway,especially with your family.
b. good service network
c. driving comfort - good seating position, road handling & feedback, good visibility (even rear view), torque in low speeds
d. Space - Good space - front, rear & boot. Its not cramped like many new modern cars (Astar, Beat, i10, Swift)
e. Power - sufficient power with AC, but obviously its not a peppy car
f. Quality - Hyundai quality (from engine to body to dashboard) is much better than many other competitors

All these gives you a peace of mind.

The only area where Santro is weak is - fuel efficiency (12-13km/l in city) compared to many new modern small cars. One of the reason is it uses a 1100 4 cylinder engine and uses Hydraulic power steering which sucks engine power.

Also the back seat comfort is not good for long drives.

I driven many other cars in B, B+ & C segments, but while driving a Santro, you will feel as a "king in the road"

One caution : Avoid buying 2004 model Santro Xings -as one of the batch have a weak crankshaft problem. (you will have many treads in this matter in Teambhp).
sunil8089 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 21:32   #12
BHPian

Just Curious
What would be the resale value of reasonable maintained 2002 Santro (65,000 kms done with entire suspension overhauled at 50,000 kms)
Im looking to upgrade
Appreciate pointers
Old 8th June 2012, 18:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Accent and Getz Petrol was also sold in good numbers very recently, in fact I picked my darling from here only. I still wonder why the first owner sold such a beautiful car. The price difference between a used Accent/Getz and a Santro/Alto is very marginal in used car market. Mahindra first choice provide good discounts also to end buyers.
Old 8th June 2012, 18:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
'The Hyundai Santro and Honda City from the B and C segments lead the sales at the multi-brand outlets of Mahindra FirstChoice Wheels (MFCW).
I Never knew that Hyundai Santro belonged to B segment.

One more reason to not to buy/follow AutocarIndia magazine.
Old 8th June 2012, 18:50   #15
BHPian

Honda City prices have dropped significantly in the last few months - Just sold off my 2005 City for 2.8L in Delhi a few days back and that's the best I could manage after 2 months of 'aggressive' selling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks