Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2006, 14:29   #1
BHPian

What Indian cars are available abroad?

Just inquisitive to know what "MADE IN INDIA" (ie. physically coming from India) cars are now available overseas?

Any info BHPians?
Old 31st March 2006, 14:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

City Rover [Tata Indica] for sure.

Is the Tata Aria into production in UK?!
Old 31st March 2006, 14:52   #3
BHPian

Reva

It will be hard to believe for you gugys but I have seen more Reva (electric car) in London than in India. Have clicked pictures of a couple and will post them soon.

Its strange that such a ugly looking car sells in UK. I am assuming that western countries have accepted the current fact that eco cars have to be ugly (all of them are!). And that more and more people pondering over buying a electric/hybrid car, they probably think Reva is a fractional financial cost to go green, as compared to Prius or a Lexus Hybrid. Will try and find the price for Reva in UK.

Redcandle
Old 31st March 2006, 14:59   #4
BHPian

One reason of huge selling of Reva in London is that they are exempted from Congestion charge and other taxes!

Tata's did sell some City Rovers but I don't know if they still do after collapse of MG-Rover.

Alto 1.1 also sells in UK. But wonder if they are built-in India or not. Because in India, Alto 1.1 is no longer available.

Tata Safari is also available in UK. Though sales figure is not very good!

Last edited by sbasak : 31st March 2006 at 15:07.
Old 31st March 2006, 15:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

All Tata vehicles (UK, Spain, Australia, South Africa, other African nations, Malaysia, Indonesia, SAARC countries except Pakistan), Hyundai Santro and Accent, Mahindra Scorpio, Classic and Rakshak (Armoured Armada), Premier Padmini (yes it was exported !), HM Ambassador (sold in the UK), some Maruti vehicles (Zen earlier, Alto now), Ford Ikon (South Africa) are the ones I can think of.

Ashok Leyland buses and trucks.
Old 31st March 2006, 15:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

No more City Rover under the MG Rover brand are sold. I think Tata has plans to start selling the Indica under its own branding but keeping the City name.
Old 31st March 2006, 17:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

To add to whats been stated already :
The Pulsar sells in multiple countries - in Asia, South America for sure. Bajaj Chetaks used to be sold till recently in the US. Tata also sold the pickup in the UK, and it has a 'reliable workhorse' reputation too! I believe some Bulls make it too, though dunno in what form.
Old 31st March 2006, 20:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
To add to whats been stated already :
The Pulsar sells in multiple countries - in Asia, South America for sure. Bajaj Chetaks used to be sold till recently in the US. Tata also sold the pickup in the UK, and it has a 'reliable workhorse' reputation too! I believe some Bulls make it too, though dunno in what form.
The Bajaj three wheelers are also sold in Argentina/Brazil and some other South American countries.

I guess the Scorpio also officially sells in Kuwait (but as mini-trucks).

The Ford Ikon sells as the Ford Bantam Pick up in South Africa but i believe is made in India.
Old 31st March 2006, 20:12   #9
LLL
BHPian

Seen a Santro in Chicago last year..it was named something else, but was doind alright on the expressway.... ..felt good to see a Made In India product...

[[ felt strange to see Sewer covers with made in India marks on the wall street in NY]]
Old 31st March 2006, 20:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus17
The Bajaj three wheelers are also sold in Argentina/Brazil and some other South American countries.

I guess the Scorpio also officially sells in Kuwait (but as mini-trucks).

The Ford Ikon sells as the Ford Bantam Pick up in South Africa but i believe is made in India.
Bajaj Three Wheelers are seen everywhere from Nigeria to Thailand. I drove one in Sri Lanka recently and it didnt have the front brake lever that we see in Indian models - the brake pedal on the floor is connected hydraulically to both the front and the rear.

Scorpio is sold as the Scorpio in the middle-east and the 'Goa' in Europe (primarily Spain).

Ikon is sold as the Ikon in South Africa. Its quite popular, too. The Indica/go platform is the fastest growing set of small cars in South Africa.

@ LLL - The 'Santro' you saw would be called the Atos.

Last edited by Steeroid : 31st March 2006 at 20:36.
Old 31st March 2006, 20:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
@ LLL - The 'Santro' you saw would be called the Atos.
Yups, the earlier santro zip is called Atos, and Xing is called Atos 'Prime'
Old 31st March 2006, 20:55   #12
BHPian

I have seen...
Tata Indica in Rome (Was taken by surprise. The funniest part is I saw it when I was with my client bragging about Indian car manufacturers and Tata group in particular) LOL
Santro Xing (Atos Prime) & WagonR (Dont remember what was it sold as. Not suzuki.. I guess Opel it was) in Brussels.

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 31st March 2006 at 20:57.
Old 31st March 2006, 22:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

I had a classmate from Peru and he told me that TATA 407 was popular there !!!
Indian Santro, Ikon and Bajaj bikes are sold in Mexico. I believe Indian plant is the world base for all Santros.
I've seen Srilankan Police using 100% TATA Sumo 4x4s.
Scorpio will now be assembled in Russia and Malaysia.
Of course Bajaj Pulsar in Singapore.

I believe if TATA, Bajaj and Mahindra can beat the Japs in India, they can beat them in similar 3rd world markets like Africa/S.America/S.E Asia.

Last edited by Mpower : 31st March 2006 at 22:48.
Old 31st March 2006, 22:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL
Seen a Santro in Chicago last year..it was named something else, but was doind alright on the expressway..
Santro/Atoz is not sold in the US. Did it have Mexican plates?
Old 1st April 2006, 15:01   #15
BWN
BHPian

I have seen Tata Indica in Pisa,Italy.We were really dumbstruck(with a sense of pride) to see a tata vehicle standing in the middle of Mercs & Alfa romeo's.... Here' the photo....

Moreover, i have seen Hyundai Atos(santro) with Pricol speedos in Hamburg.They were Pre-xing models.santro xing(called atos prime), Wagon-R,Alto and Old Gypsy's(called vitara) are a common site here, but not sure if they are manufactured in India.

Most Viewed