Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid Catches Fire In Delhi

It is really sad to see such a new car go up in flames. But thank God, no one was hurt in this freak mishap. I too am aware of the recent, similar incident involving a VW Vento. But IMHO, we cannot make any statement against VW/Skoda unless we have a solid proof. This particular Rapid being an 'Ambition' variant, would not have had a stock ICE in the car. So the owner must have installed an after-market ICE in this car. This is evident, thanks to the rear view camera in the bumper. So lets wait for the investigation to be completed and also, lets hope the investigation is done in a fair manner.
Skoda Rapid Catches Fire In Delhi-skoda20rapid20on20fire.jpg
aravind.anand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:38   #17
BHPian

The after market camera seems to be a SGA (Skoda Genuine Accessory) which means it was fitted at the dealer level.

Should this pose a risk as the fitment process must have been certified by Skoda? Also, isnt this strange that cars catch fire even when their engine is not running??
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

We need to stop speculating and blaming after market ICE for the cause of fires. For something to happen to a particular car, it raises the doubt about the car itself and not the after market fitments.
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

While the fact remains that there might not be good quality after market job done on car, is it not the truth that modern cars are not ready to accept even slight work on them ?

I have seen many old cars with so many accessories installed, for eg. Omni, M800, even Eeco with fans installed in the cabin.

Why is it that more modern cars give up so easily ?
Why cant we have better insulation and wiring ? In Baleno, the wires are there under the carpet. Recently we carried a Gas cylinder to our native village where my grand parents live. What if the wire was cut ?

Can we have metal tubing where in wires can be lined ? Also, manufacturers must add a few sockets for accessories.

Moreover, dealers and manufacturers must NOT overcharge for certain accessories which are becoming necessities like Reverse camera, GPS.

Its becoming very dangerous to have external electrical parts installed due to all these incidences. We can/must have better mechanisms even for escaping from the car.

Lastly, the heat. Due to global warming or any theory, the heat is increasing just like anything. This has to be taken into account while the car is being designed and the older/present cars be updated if need be.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 3rd April 2012 at 11:25.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:36   #20
BHPian

You know what is more infuriating is the deafening silence on the part of companies like VW and Skoda when these incidents happen. VW didn't have the decency even to publish the outcome of their investigations of the fire which caused the unfortunate death of the owner. What is so important to them? Their bottomline or the lives of their customers ? This kind of lackadaisical approach can be only allowed by government agencies in India.

Even if the cause maybe an aftermarket modification, what stops the car maker from publishing the results of their findings? It would only make customers more aware and careful while thinking of or making any modifications. Silence on their part looks more like an admission of guilt regarding some defect with their product that they are hesitant to fix probably due to the prohibitive cost of a recall
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
We have , of late, become a consumer market, and hence, are spoilt for choices. Here, we are talking about 6.50 - 10.00 lacs sedan market. Of course, all those cars catching fire car be merely coincidental, but why take chances when we see probabilities, peace of mind and multiple options available?

Skoda has had a history of problems in India, what with the failing DSGs, questionable after-sales service, consumer court cases and dubious dealerships. To add to it, we see cars catching fire. You might say I am exaggerating here, but I am not - because I speak for those who might be putting down their hard-earned 8 lacs trying to upgrade from a hatchback, living their dreams.

I, for one, would be a lost-customer case for Rapid/Vento, because I would rather retain the peace of mind for my family's safety than argue on analogies and possibilities. To each, his own. Thank you.
Absolutely! I couldn't agree with you more. I am, if fact, thinking of changing cars soon. Like you, I would also call myself a lost customer case for VW/Skoda (oh yes I know it will not make the slightest difference to the company's fortunes).
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Do we have some evidence to support this claim, unless there is, nothing can be said about what might happen next. Only facts as to why it happened can help one claim that the rest of the Ventos and Rapids are safe or unsafe.

There is a perception that VW/Skoda are hiding facts (remember its a perception, there is no evidence to support this), and because this has happened twice the perception has strengthened, and can be only erased if some independent body does the analysis and comes out with the truth as to why this happened. Unless that happens folks will always look at the VW group with skepticism.
There is no evidence either way to support the claim that VW is safe or is dangerous. I am applying basic logic to the issue and I come to this conclusion.

Say for the sake of argument there are 20,000 Vento/Rapid's on the roads of India. Of those 2 have caught fire (so far admittedly, but still). That is 0.01% of all Rapid/Vento's sold have caught fire. Therefore the remaining 99.99% of Vento/Rapid's sold have not (bring the number of cars sold to 2,000 and it is still 0.1% catching fire and 99.9% not catching fire). I agree one or two more may, but am just saying statistically the odds are against it happening to any one specific owner. That is not to say that it should happen, but until we know the cause of this, let us not speculate. My heartfelt apologies for the family of the deceased.

Yes people will look at the VW group with scepticism if they do not honestly state what caused the fire and then figure out how to rectify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
We have , of late, become a consumer market, and hence, are spoilt for choices. Here, we are talking about 6.50 - 10.00 lacs sedan market. Of course, all those cars catching fire car be merely coincidental, but why take chances when we see probabilities, peace of mind and multiple options available?

Skoda has had a history of problems in India, what with the failing DSGs, questionable after-sales service, consumer court cases and dubious dealerships. To add to it, we see cars catching fire. You might say I am exaggerating here, but I am not - because I speak for those who might be putting down their hard-earned 8 lacs trying to upgrade from a hatchback, living their dreams.

Besides, whatever might the reason have been, I expect VW group to put up a clarification / apology / condolence, which wasn't done in the case of Vento (Pune). Maruti / Honda / other manufacturers regularly apologize for delays and other inconveniences caused to customers, even if it is to earn brownie points for further sales.

I, for one, would be a lost-customer case for Rapid/Vento, because I would rather retain the peace of mind for my family's safety than argue on analogies and possibilities. To each, his own. Thank you.
To be fair to all concerned, there are other brands of car that have caught fire, including some Japanese ones. The one thing that I will say is that no car is perfect and will have some flaw or the other, though admittedly it may not be as risky as catching fire. However, let us wait and see what the cause is first.

Yes VAG has had various problems in India and the brain fade of not putting up a clarification / condolence / apology is going to hurt them long run, but not all their previous decisions indicate this kind of forward thinking. Sad, but true.

I agree, to each his own, but am just putting the facts out there for everyone to make an informed decision.
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
We need to stop speculating and blaming after market ICE for the cause of fires.
+1. I totally agree! Its not as if aftermarket accessories are being fitted to the cars in the last 2years. And are the cars so fragile that installing a rear parking camera or an audio system or what ever engulfs a standing or even a moving car in flames? I can understand that the car goes kaput but seriously, go down in flames is too much to comprehend and accept.
The question is not about whom to blame. It could be aftermarket accessories or the manufacturer, we don't know until we find out. But the point is that we just don't seem to know the "real" reasons at all no matter who brings in experts and promises reports.
Guess the onus lies with the manufacturer. Look at the price Nano paid cause Tata downplayed the incidents and kept the consumers in dark. No matter who argues for VW & Skoda, when it comes to actually making that payment for a Rapid or Vento, i'm sure you think twice if you know the incidents and the what-if thought crosses your mind.
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:29   #24
BHPian

Coincidentally I passed by the accident scene an hour back. Couldn't click pics, as was in a hurry. Front half of the car was totally burnt, while the rear had no damages. A parked car catching fire seems very fishy to me. Possibly someone deliberately doing it.
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
While the fact remains that there might not be good quality after market job done on car, is it not the truth that modern cars are not ready to accept even slight work on them ?

I have seen many old cars with so many accessories installed, for eg. Omni, M800, even Eeco with fans installed in the cabin.

Why is it that more modern cars give up so easily ?
Exactly i feel the same way, moreover there is no accountability once a blame is put to the after market accessories, Lancer, Honda vtec, Maruti stable oldies like zen carb& mpfi all i have seen people putting after market stuff extensively on them. One thing that clicks my mind is the role of Cost cutting done by various companies in a race to sell more cars thereby depleting the quality of the final product which Indians get.

OT: Its sad that we are unable to enjoy the blessing of driving pleasure to the fullest, the roads we have are super bad, fuel prices are killing, accordingly the cars we get are fuel efficient gizmo loaded toys lacking the essence of a powerful engine, if you want a powerful quality vehicle, the Govt. takes care of plethora of duties & taxes taking away even the thought of owing them one day, what we get in the end is low quality fire catching point A - point B vehicles.
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Having bought a Rapid TDI just a month ago, I'm very concerned about this incident. To me it looks like that there is some electrical malfunction that is happening in the cars and I wouldnt attribute these incidents to engine malfunction or even after market fitments.
Some questions though..

1) The vento that caught fire-> Was it TDI as well?
2) If it is not an issue with the engine or any mechanical part and if it is an electrical issue with the car itself, then how come there are no incidents involving the Polo, which carries almost the same electrical parts barring a few due to the engine change?
3) Can we from Team bhp address an email to Skoda since there are atleast 5-7 new rapid buyers in this forum?

Last edited by motorworks : 3rd April 2012 at 12:55.
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Having bought a Rapid TDI just a month ago, I'm very concerned about this incident. To me it looks like that there is some electrical malfunction that is happening in the cars and I wouldnt attribute these incidents to engine malfunction or even after market fitments.
Some questions though..

1) The vento that caught fire-> Was it TDI as well?
?
Yes, both the cars on fire were TDI :(

In our country too, we have so many frivolous cases filed. Just thinking if filing a case to get VW to act (to get information out) would not be too far fetched?

Last edited by srishiva : 3rd April 2012 at 13:03.
Old 3rd April 2012, 13:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The vento that caught fire-> Was it TDI as well?
Yes.
Quote:
If it is not an issue with the engine or any mechanical part and if it is an electrical issue with the car itself, then how come there are no incidents involving the Polo, which carries almost the same electrical parts barring a few due to the engine change?
We don't even know reason of fire in the Vento and Rapid in first place. Nothing can be concluded.
Quote:
Can we from Team bhp address an email to Skoda since there are atleast 5-7 new rapid buyers in this forum?
Skoda India's reply to me on Facebook-
Quote:
Dear Apoorv, we are aware of the case and have been in constant touch with the customer. Our technical team will carry out an inspection at the earliest to evaluate the case. In the interim, we have extended full cooperation to the customer to reduce any inconvenience.
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:59   #29
BHPian

Quote:
@motorworks - What is it that makes you think that it is an electrical malfunction? have there been any minor incidents on your car/ in some other car as well? could you kindly clarify?
regarding an engine malfunction, i can safely say that for a parked vehicle (assuming the owner didn't leave the engine running), the chance of the engine/ associated mechanical systems being the cause of the fire doesn't exist.
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
@motorworks - What is it that makes you think that it is an electrical malfunction? have there been any minor incidents on your car/ in some other car as well? could you kindly clarify?
regarding an engine malfunction, i can safely say that for a parked vehicle (assuming the owner didn't leave the engine running), the chance of the engine/ associated mechanical systems being the cause of the fire doesn't exist.
I'm absolutely with you here, I didnt think any mechanical / engine part would have caused the fire. The reason I attributed this to an electrical malfunction is simply because I have come across many cases of electrical part such as power windows, etc having issues in Skodas. But the Rapid is all Polo / Vento underneath, so I'm not sure of this either since Polos / Ventos are not known to have such issues.
I have not come across any electric malfunction in my car. The only instance when something did happen was when I unlocked my car, the fuel lid popped open as well, which I dont think is serious.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks