Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2012, 18:20   #1
BANNED

New Maruti sedan is coming?

Source: Maruti Suzuki developing sedan between Swift Dzire and SX4? | IndianCarsBikes.in

"Maruti Suzuki could be developing a sedan to be positioned between the Szift Dzire compact sedan and the SX4, in a dramatic new development of sorts."

"Considering that the 2012 Swift Dzire is a compact sedan wit a tiny boot, this move from Maruti could be one that gives the customer the option of full boot, at a price lesser than the SX4."

So, the rumors about a full sized sedan - possibly based on Swift - is coming true, IMO. May be using the new K14 VVT engine used in Ertiga, with a length of 4.3 - 4.4m, and boot of 400 - 450L, IMO.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 3rd April 2012 at 18:22.
romeomidhun is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 18:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Maruti sedan is coming?

Here is the Twitter link to Hormazd Sorabjee's tweet on the same.

Twitter

Interesting to see how they go about it on the pricing front - tight considering the narrow gap.
Dzire - 4.96 to 7.28 here (showroom)
SX 4 - 7.31 to 9.5
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 18:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

So that makes it 4 or 5 cars in the 5-10L bracket from Maruti (Swift, Dzire, New sedan, SX4, Ertiga).

Having successfully placed one model every ~30K or so in the <5L market, Maruti is trying the same in the >5L market as well.

Is the new sedan the SX4 replacement?
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 18:59   #4
BHPian

Call me idiot but I am hoping that this new sedan will mark the return of Esteem (yes, I'm a past Esteem owner)
  • I'm not satisfied with K12 engine as a replacement of Esteem's 1.3L MPFi engine. SX4's engine is too thirsty. K14 seems a perfect replacement of the 1.3L MPFi gem.
  • A car positioned between Dzire and SX4 sounds like a perfect size for Esteem.
  • I'm hoping that it would have superb ride characteristics of Swift and comfort of an SX4.
  • Last hope but not least- the new sedan to have the name - Esteem!

Let's see. Keeping my fingers crossed
DevilsCry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:23   #5
BHPian

I guess Maruti Suzuki is going to exploit the extended Swift platform, on which the Ertiga is built.
Its 4.2metres length is adequate & spacious enough for today-era's full-fledged Sedan.
And also its very much suitable for 1.3 Multijet Diesel engine usage also.

If the above news is true, I'm expecting a Spacious full-fledged Sedan from Maruti Suzuki built on Extended Swift/Ertiga platform in a Re-skinned avatar mated to 90PS VGT 1.3 DDiS diesel & K14M petrol engine this time & with adequate legroom for Front & Rear Seats.
CRtorquefan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Even I want a "new" Esteem. Till them I am holding on to my year 2000 MPFI one, which still brings a smile on my face due to its peppiness. I just do not like the Swift shape nor the Desire. SX4 petrol is no match to the Baleno engine, while the diesel could do with more power.
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

The easiest guess will be a >4 meter sedan based on the new Swift platform with the K14B & MJD VGT inside. Or is Suzuki working on a new platform?

Now, the important question. Will SX4 be getting the axe?
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:40   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

My wish list

1. Nice interiors
2. Spacious & comfortable rear seat
3. 1.3 MJD 90 BHP engine
4. Good ride & handling package!

Hope this new car suffices in all fronts and we have a FANTASTIC package to lure at!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Is the new sedan the SX4 replacement?
From the initial news floating around, NO, it's not a SX4 replacement but to position below SX4.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd April 2012 at 21:43.
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

After seeing the Sales analysis thread and just when I was thinking about Maruti having no presence in that segment to compete directly with City, Rapid, Verna, etc. Neither Dzire looks proper sedan (it looks very compact) nor SX4 (due to higher GC and macho looks), this thread comes up.
Yes, when almost all the companies taking this segment very very seriously with new and spectacular launches (Verna, Sunny, Rapid) one after other, it looks that either MSIL is either too busy to bother about this segment or is taking one step at a time by first reducing the size of Dzire and now should launch a proper looking sedan. If they do it, it would definitely complete their portfolio and give their competitors sleepless nights..
Imagine a stunning looking, sophisticated and VFM sedan from Maruti stable (sounds over optimistic) and the sales chart firing up even further.
PS: They can re-launch All New Esteem like City and Verna but going by their history, they should not do the same what they did with Zen. We all love Esteem very much.

Last edited by carwatcher : 3rd April 2012 at 21:54.
Old 3rd April 2012, 22:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

SX-4 needs a replacement, nothing has helped its cause: diesel engine, 1.6 VTVT engine, autobox, its got it all but the market is not too enthused by these changes. It's actually a decent car with decent backing and yet has flopped despite being a Maruti.
Maruti needs to bring back the Esteem magic: Light build, eager engine, great FE and a sexy shape.
Old 4th April 2012, 01:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Guys Guys Guys ! it is most probably a full sized dzire that was planned earlier and was to be added to the Dzire range. It isnt going to be some revolutionary car.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 08:30   #12
BHPian

Yes, a full size modern looking Dzire is the need of the hour as the CS Dzire look a bit odd for many. (they should have done a lift back design instead of the cut boot) A dzire with Manza/ Indigo/City like rear room would be nice. fingers crossed
Old 4th April 2012, 09:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Wow, this news sounds like Maruti is now trying to shoot in the dark hoping one would hit the target in the full size <9L sedan segment. I am sure they are bouyed by the sales of the new Dzire.
Old 4th April 2012, 12:21   #14
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The problem i see with SX4 is the pricing. Cut the price by 50K-75 and it should do well.
Skoda Rapid starts at 6.75 lacs, City starts at 7 lacs...so i am not sure why would someone go for SX4 unless he is a MS fan.
Old 4th April 2012, 12:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Call me idiot but I am hoping that this new sedan will mark the return of Esteem (yes, I'm a past Esteem owner)
  • I'm not satisfied with K12 engine as a replacement of Esteem's 1.3L MPFi engine. SX4's engine is too thirsty. K14 seems a perfect replacement of the 1.3L MPFi gem.
  • A car positioned between Dzire and SX4 sounds like a perfect size for Esteem.
  • I'm hoping that it would have superb ride characteristics of Swift and comfort of an SX4.
  • Last hope but not least- the new sedan to have the name - Esteem!

Let's see. Keeping my fingers crossed
I completely am in agreement with you. It has been quite a while since Maruti launched Esteem. Given the huge number of Esteem lovers (myself included), it could be worthwhile for Maruti to come up with a sedan that matches with the Esteem class with a K14 engine. It could as well retain the name 'Esteem' and add a sub-name like they did with Zen Estillo, the Estillo though did not match up with the earlier Zen. But if it is Esteem (plus some name) and the ride quality nothing less than the Swift, this could be a master move to fill up the void that Esteem has left in the Sedan class. Hope for the best !!
HorsPwr is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed