Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2012, 12:34   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Maruti sedan is coming?

Pricing and feature-wise placement would be very crucial if MS indeed decides to introduce a sedan between Dzire CS and SX4.

Given the price band at which it plans to have the sedan, it would be interesting to see the engine specs and feature list that MS gives this sedan.

The market sub-5 lakhs is drastically diff. from the market on the other side; so I'm not sure if the strategy of having a huge range of products within sniffing distance of each other would work post 5-lakhs too.
Old 4th April 2012, 12:48   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
The problem i see with SX4 is the pricing. Cut the price by 50K-75 and it should do well.
Skoda Rapid starts at 6.75 lacs, City starts at 7 lacs...so i am not sure why would someone go for SX4 unless he is a MS fan.
Completely agree with you.

Other changes needed for SX4:

Trimmed rear bumper
Remove front quarter glass, or make it Ertiga-like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
I guess Maruti Suzuki is going to exploit the extended Swift platform, on which the Ertiga is built.
Its 4.2metres length is adequate & spacious enough for today-era's full-fledged Sedan.
And also its very much suitable for 1.3 Multijet Diesel engine usage also.

If the above news is true, I'm expecting a Spacious full-fledged Sedan from Maruti Suzuki built on Extended Swift/Ertiga platform in a Re-skinned avatar mated to 90PS VGT 1.3 DDiS diesel & K14M petrol engine this time & with adequate legroom for Front & Rear Seats.
I agree. My expectations:

Platform: Ertiga
Length: 4260mm
Width: 1695mm
Boot: 425L
Petrol engine: 1.4L K-Series VVT
Diesel engine: 90BHP DDiS
Price (Petrol): 6L - 7.5L
Price (Diesel): 7L - 8.5L
Name: Swift Znior (read as Senior)

Last edited by romeomidhun : 4th April 2012 at 12:54.
Old 4th April 2012, 13:20   #18
BHPian

If my words matter.

Maruti has been churning the ugliest of cars lately. Different shapes and sizes of 'Samosa'(Samosa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

I would love to see a relaunch of the Esteem, same shape and sleek lines, mated to a k series petrol and Fiat Diesel engine along with ABS and Airbags. A sure winner.

If K and MJD are not possible: 1.3 MPFI Esteem gives an average of 13+, with good performance. Something that many petrols in the country cannot match. I would still love to have a retuned and standards compliant 1.3 MPFI engine. Production should not be an issue, as Gypsy still uses it.

MaSh
Old 4th April 2012, 13:36   #19
SDP
Team-BHP Support

From the New DZire thread, I was under the impression that the DZire has been shortened so as to avoid canibalizing the SX4. Now positioning a new sedan between DZire and SX4 would just reintroduce the canibalization. Doesn't make sense to me.

In my opinion, if Maruti could cut prices on the SX4 and reposition it, that would leave a place for a proper new sedan in the C1 segment which can compete with City/Verna/Vento. That would also make the SX4 a VFM offering and could solve the problem with SX4's volumes.

Last edited by SDP : 4th April 2012 at 13:39.
Old 4th April 2012, 13:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure how cannibalizing SX4 sales matters. It hardly sells in the first place. Plus a dud remains a dud until some real deep discounts are given and even that strategy is short lived cause you end up eroding margins & profitability.
I think a new sedan from Maruti above the Dzire in the City/Rapid/Vento category is the need of the hour and i'm glad Maruti is looking at an all new sedan rather than just rehashing the SX4 package.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 14:25   #21
Team-BHP Support

Do we really need another sedan from Suzuki? Actually a refreshed SX4 sedan should do the job for them, considering the market penetration they enjoy.
Instead of trying to cash too much on the so called VFM segment, I hope they act a bit differently and bring in cars like the SX4 hatchback, or even the Swift Sport.
The Ertiga is one good initiative from them (not talking about the car as such, but on opening up a new segment).
Old 4th April 2012, 15:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

I dont know how the 1.3 MPFI of Esteem can give the same performance and efficiency on a car that would be heavier than Esteem. Wasn't the same engine used on Swift before?

What they need a is a replacement for SX4.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 15:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Do we really need another sedan from Suzuki? Actually a refreshed SX4 sedan should do the job for them, considering the market penetration they enjoy.
Instead of trying to cash too much on the so called VFM segment, I hope they act a bit differently and bring in cars like the SX4 hatchback, or even the Swift Sport.
The Ertiga is one good initiative from them (not talking about the car as such, but on opening up a new segment).

I don't think a refreshed SX4 will take them place with its oddball styling ! The Inherent design quirkiness like the height of the vehicle and the funny kink near the rear view mirrors on the front doors cannot be fixed in a facelift. The rear end too is a bit goofy looking.

A full sized DZIRE with a better effort made by Maruti in terms of styling (differentiating it from the Swift) may take them places.

If im not wrong, the SX4 is based on the previous gen Swift ? Is it possible that they are now working one the next gen SX4 based on the new Swift ?
Old 4th April 2012, 15:30   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I don't think a refreshed SX4 will take them place with its oddball styling ! The Inherent design quirkiness like the height of the vehicle and the funny kink near the rear view mirrors on the front doors cannot be fixed in a facelift. The rear end too is a bit goofy looking.

A full sized DZIRE with a better effort made by Maruti in terms of styling (differentiating it from the Swift) may take them places.

If im not wrong, the SX4 is based on the previous gen Swift ? Is it possible that they are now working one the next gen SX4 based on the new Swift ?
Well, I should have reworded it
What I meant was a new/updated SX4 to fill in the segment.

The odd styling is again due to the fact that it’s a not-so-proportionate boot addition to the SX4 hatchback. From what I know, it was not derived from the Swift (not sure if there was any platform sharing).
Old 4th April 2012, 17:22   #25
BHPian

if at all Maruti wants to do that, it needs to do a Junior Kizashi. Work on improving the looks. Add lots of bells & whistles along & give Maruti's final punch - Killer pricing. It will then sell.
Old 4th April 2012, 17:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Is it A-Star sedan ?

Source: Maruti to launch A-star sedan by 2013 | mydigitalfc.com

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Sedan Launch In 2013
Old 4th April 2012, 18:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Is it A-Star sedan ?

Source: Maruti to launch A-star sedan by 2013 | mydigitalfc.com

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Sedan Launch In 2013
Well this doesn't seems to be true. A-Star sedan to fit between current Dzire and Sx4.
Astar is very small car (B segment) , a sedan version highly unlikely. On the contrary when B+ segment car makes a smaller sedan car. How can smaller segment make big sedan car ie between current Dzire and SX4.
LongDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 18:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Maruti should do a "Baleno" on the SX4. When the sales of Baleno stagnated, they reduced the price, and Baleno started selling like hot cakes.

At 1.5K in March and 2K in February I would not call SX5 a dud. In fact these numbers are more than those garnered up by Fiat, Renault and HM.
Old 4th April 2012, 18:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Can it be the Ritz? If not better the DZire, a Ritz sedan can complement its sales, the way the hatch has been doing.

- Full size (compared to the Dzire CS)
- Spacious than the Dzire
- Cheaper than the SX4
Attached Thumbnails
New Maruti sedan is coming?-ritz-sedan.jpg  

Last edited by ashutoshb : 4th April 2012 at 18:59.
ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 19:03   #30

Maruti would definitely gain if they introduce a proper Dzire sedan alongside the current notchback. It will help tapping the set of customers who currently have no choice but to go with Etios or Manza for the want of a full size boot. The previous generation Dzire was such a hot seller in spite of the debatable looks. The SX4 however may not appeal to the entry level sedan buyer even after a price cut. The Dzire brand definitely has better brand recall.
n.ananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed