Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: March 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Been waiting for this thread since the fool' day. Thanks Guys for the Boleroesque execution month on month.

Very happy to see the Nano numbers. I am still not able to understand what is happening with Jazz. Don't they want to sell at all? And it looks like Pulse got the Micra.

Hyundai needs to get that Diesel plant running soon and get an oil burner for the i10. For a frontrunner, a dip in March 2012 is bad show indeed.

Overall, March has been stellar, the shadow of which will fall upon April '12.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. One of the must see threads every month.

One of the probable reasons for Spark sales reducing ever since the Beat D launched could be because GM has a flexible manufacturing line wherein petrol & diesel engines are manufactured on the same line.
fiat_tarun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:09   #18
BHPian

I was hoping to see Jetta fall below 100 units so I could squeeze some decent discount on it. But I guess I will have to wait for some time. April will be the month to watch out for. Most people would have rushed their purchase fearing the diesel tax and budget and hence the super duper sales in March.
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

@GTO, hats off for making the analysis read so interesting. I mean these numbers are not dramatic, and 90 percent of times the same story is repeated every month, and yet I read your analysis with great interest. Superb stuff.
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:19   #20
Team-BHP Support

- New Fiesta sales dont change. A royal dud. This was expected with notional price changes to the diesel trims. Ford really needs to learn how to price a product.
- It pains to such a killer product rusting away in the stock yards.
- Good to see Sunny climb the charts. A real VFM offer from Nissan.
- Equally good to Pulse rising! But I dont expect much in that death segment of hatch backs.
- Dont know why Renault chose to release at this moment.
- They should have concentrated on Duster. They should have a got a good early mover advantage.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd April 2012 at 21:25.
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Hyundai needs to get that Diesel plant running soon and get an oil burner for the i10. For a frontrunner, a dip in March 2012 is bad show indeed.
Exactly. I10 was once placed No 2, only behind the mighty Alto, and now, it is placed a distant eighth in the top-10 list. Heck, it would have been placed 9th had Mahindra sold only 80 Boleros more.

In refusing to introduce (ASAP) a diesel variant, Hyundai seems to be losing the plot on an otherwise fantastic car. With stiff competition from other hatches (which have dual petrol-diesel options), the i10 is struggling to grow in the market and is stagnant with 9000-10,000 sales.

Having said that, the Eon is being accepted in more households and is slowly climbing up the ladder. It is poised to overtake the WagonR in the next few months.

Am rather saddened with the poor sales of the Jazz. The most spacious spacious hatch with loads of features at a tempting price should have had many more owners.

The competent Ritz is, unfortunately, almost always forgotten in Maruti's list of blockbusters. A very capable car, indeed, which can easily do better than the 6000+ sales.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Oh man. These charts just get better and better. They are so well done that I always wait for them when a new month starts. In fact; someone did open a thread that turned out to be a dummy.

Oh Suzuki. There is just no catching up with them from any of the competitors. It is going to take Hyundai or Tata a good 10 years to even think of becoming a threat. That is how good Suzuki cars are.

Nice to see the Nano do good numbers. This proves that the 2012 edition is a genuinely improved mini car. I am considering one in some months.

In spite of a sales and service network that isn't even half of what Fiat offer, Nissan is now a serious contender in the C1 segment. The Sunny has a waiting period. Nobody is bothered about long term ownership costs. This car must be so good that one could not care about things like these.

So much for 2012 edition Fiat's. What a waste of money doing those road shows. Get your sales act together and more importantly, the service and the cars themselves. In spite of walking out of KHT motors when I went car shopping; nothing has changed. The two customers I forwarded to them were treated just as bad. Please stops scratching your heads on whether you need a new model. Just get the Panda for a start.

I have to say, Mahindra is the better Indian product in the UV and SUV segment.

Ford needs to get the Eco Sport right. The Figo ain't gonna last that long for them and one car isn't enough to stay alive.

What are you doing Mistsubishi? A lame looking Pajero Sport ain't going to set the sales charts on fire. What is the point of selling an EVO X? Bring in the updated 150 horse power Lancer.

Really curious to meet and do a Q&A session with new Ambassador owners. Why do you buy this car? 5 lacs for a car that will fall apart while you are in the middle of your payment transaction with the dealer.

The Toyota Etios is the best example I can think of to highlight that we don't give a rats *ss about car design or character. Show the public the Toyota badge, throw in a reliable diesel and that is all this manufacturer has to do. Heck; even my wife wanted me to consider the Etios just because it was a Toyota. I got to agree in one way, the brand has miles more respect than the Fiat I own.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:50   #23
BHPian

Happy to see the Vista going strong @ 10k mark for a long time now. After all praticality is being appreciated and bought. good choice people.
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:53   #24
F50
Senior - BHPian

Great review Rush.

Maruti is yet again miles ahead. I really want Eon to do better than Alto. Jaago grahak Jaago.

The corner boys - 14 to 48 Kizashis? Company cars?

Where's Mahindra Thar?
Old 3rd April 2012, 22:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Great analysis as expected. Thanks to price hike news i saw many people from swift queue decided to buy whoever that has a stock of diesel car

Wondering why figo is taking beating month after another. Agreed its built for a price, but it is one of the most VFM cars available.
Even till the last day dealers had ready stock
I can answer your second question - The Figo, at launch cost Rs 6.10 lakh OTR-Chennai for the TDCi Titanium (2 years back). Now, the same car retails for Rs 7.2 Lakh OTR-Chennai. That's a massive hike (I am quite sure that no other diesel car in the same category have seen similar hikes) IMO and puts it a half segment above. Heck, cars like the Micra XV, Swift VDi cost lesser!

They have completely lost their way!
Old 3rd April 2012, 22:10   #26
PCS
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

WoW my god!!!!

What a sales figure

Maruti -- you are just unbeatable. You are god of indian auto industry. I respect you

Hyundai -- going is good. But why did you delay i10 diesel. Look swift is eating ur shares

Tata-- what's cooking??? Looks like festival time for you

Mahindra -- anand mahindra has the guts. One big salute to you

Nissan -- R u slow poison for other manufacturers ???

Toyota --- u guys rock with innova fortuner etios and corolla man. T badge works !!!!

Ford -- what r u guys upto? One product will not help

Honda --please learn from other manufacturers. Get a diesel. Stop banking on petrol

GM -- PLEASE GET SOMETHING IN PLACE OF UVA AND AVEO. Y WASTE TIME.

VW - Get some volume models. Polo and vent were your brand image models

Fiat - I don't blame on you. Build up faith. In India faith = maruti

Renault --- stop this rebranding job. Get on ur own or else learn from nissan

HM mitsubishi -- let god alone save this company that rolls out fantastic products

Skoda -- how long will you drag. Time to get some product refreshments

Last edited by GTO : 4th April 2012 at 08:48. Reason: Do NOT use SMS / Slang language on Team-BHP
PCS is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd April 2012, 22:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
So much for 2012 edition Fiat's. What a waste of money doing those road shows. Get your sales act together and more importantly, the service and the cars themselves. In spite of walking out of KHT motors when I went car shopping; nothing has changed. The two customers I forwarded to them were treated just as bad. Please stops scratching your heads on whether you need a new model. Just get the Panda for a start.

Ford needs to get the Eco Sport right. The Figo ain't gonna last that long for them and one car isn't enough to stay alive.

Really curious to meet and do a Q&A session with new Ambassador owners. Why do you buy this car? 5 lacs for a car that will fall apart while you are in the middle of your payment transaction with the dealer.
I feel Fiat is definitely trying harder (good frequency of ads, but none is as impacting as CAAAAR) than other manufacturer's and it will take some time to show results, we all know that Tata is incapable of giving proper service to its own customers, expecting them to serve Fiat ones is asking too much. As regards Panda, when I attended their 2012 Linea and Punto launch party, it was clearly told that Panda is being tested but it will not be launched as it will cost 9.5 to 11.00 lacs on road as per current scenario.
If Ford goes wrong with EcoSport, it will become like Fiat with only two products (Figo and Fiesta classic).
Ha ha ha, nice take on Amby. I am sure they have some firm contract to sell 200 cars per month with Govt., Army, etc. I have also read that here in Goa new Amby dealership is opened. I was surprised. So there is something we don't know.

Last edited by carwatcher : 3rd April 2012 at 22:22.
Old 3rd April 2012, 22:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

New Hyundai Sonata is at 92 at launch. Camry has been doing 0 continuously for 4 months. Badshah of this segment remains Superb with almost 350 units. Without a diesel heart there's no way Superb can be 'shaken or stirred'.
Old 3rd April 2012, 22:39   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

VW (Group) sales with the Vento's, Polo's and Rapid's has been great!

Fiat's pathetic sales continues even in India after the miserable run in Europe.

Maruti doing good and holding the top four in the sales charts!

Nissan has a good run with Sunny but dips in Micra sales!

Eon cannibalizing i10 figures.

Jazz has no takers even after the reduced price. Brio doing good. City has slumped. Is it the diesel effect?

Chevrolet needs to revamp their portfolio. Except for Beat nothing to talk of the sales figures!

Cheers!
Old 3rd April 2012, 22:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I have also read that here in Goa new Amby dealership is opened. I was surprised. So there is something we don't know.
Goa already has one vintage car museum. Why would someone want to set up a second?

Seriously, why would anyone -- government babus or lesser mortals -- want an Amby? Is there any USP to it?
misquitas is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed