Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2012, 22:57   #31
BHPian

Re: March 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Goa already has one vintage car museum. Why would someone want to set up a second?

Seriously, why would anyone -- government babus or lesser mortals -- want an Amby? Is there any USP to it?
Good Joke.

Imagine a potbellied yourself travelling by road after a very heavy lunch.
You will thank Amby's rear seat which is best for an afternoon siesta.

Atleast in Kerala Govt vehicles have moved on from Ambassador.
Old 3rd April 2012, 23:00   #32
BHPian

Thanks a lot GTO, had been waiting for this since 1st. Once again, a great analysis.

The small but significant things that I noticed:
  • Gives me a tinge of happiness to see Indian/Indian origin car makers fight to take the top three
  • Ford was battling hard until last month to be ahead of Chevrolet in market share but just gave away this month - reminds me of international sales scenario
  • Despite the addition of a new product to its lineup, Ford's YoY sales have gone down!
  • The launch of comfortline couldn't have been done in a better timing to take the lead back from its sibling. VW, it took you the sales of your siblings to make you realise that error?
  • Looks like Maruti has just realised it has got two cars in every segment, one the segment leader and other selling in its shadow except for C1 where Dzire is the only car. That once again answers how Maruti felt they need a car between Dzire and SX4
  • It is noteworthy that Superb sales has also gone up by a big 92.8% MoM despite the excise duty. Can't make a comparo with its sibling at all!
  • Although City's sales is not big this month, just look at the legendary numbers as spikes in C2 segment graph and you'll realise what City as a car in the market and hence Honda is just capable of. Beware, diesels underway!
vvijay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 23:03   #33
BHPian

As one analyzes the sales figures month on month, one thing becomes clear is that sales of the C1 and C2 sedan categories are rising pretty fast through the past one year. This despite the fact that in the last 1.5 years a plethora of new sedans in these two categories have been launched.

If a breakup of diesel and petrol versions could be obtained it would be clear that the lion's share of these sales are of the diesel versions. Also it is evident that as more of the middle class and upper middle class become upwardly mobile they are either graduating from a hatch or getting a C1/C2 sedan as their second car. What this means is there will be a huge pressure on the diesel subsidies in the next 2 years. Everybody has now caught on to the fact that petrol prices will travel north very fast now while the government is stuck with their policy making on fuel pricing. I think even hatches like Beat, Polo, i20 and of course the Swift have a 70-30 ratio of diesel to petrol sales. With no additional taxes on diesel cars, the party is going to continue and 6 months down the line the diesel "subsidy" bill will probably bring a heart stopping moment for dear old Pranab da.

As usual excellent reporting with all this slicing and dicing of the data helps develop a deeper insight into the psyche of the car buyers.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 3rd April 2012 at 23:05.
Old 3rd April 2012, 23:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If February was good, March was a blockbuster! This, dudes & gals, has been the best month in the history of the Indian automotive industry. Another (strictly temporary) stimulus was the Budget '12 and the resultant hike in excise duties across the board.
oh yeah. i was one among those 7073 figo owners,rather an unexpected owner. all thanks to budget + rumor of hike in diesel cars. Went with friend for his test drive and ended up buying car for me

I still cant imagine what made 100 people buy Aveo + UVA.
1117 Ertiga delivered last month or shipped to dealership for delivery upon launch ?
Gypsy has almost doubled in number
any news of TATA Xenon, Rio, Force Motors SUV

GTO what about Merc/BMW/AUDI sales? also any VW Pheton sold?

Quote:
The Honda Jazz is going nowhere. Honda has two winners - the City and the Brio.But their petrol diet is a non-charmer in the Mad Diesel World.
May be Honda Should target GOA now. For sure there will be lot more buyers

Last edited by recshenoy : 3rd April 2012 at 23:36.
Old 3rd April 2012, 23:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
1117 Ertiga delivered last month or shipped to dealership for delivery upon launch ?
Shipped to dealers for delivery.
Old 3rd April 2012, 23:32   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

The figures do all the talking- its a record month for our automobile industry. Many models have had the best sales figure ever.
Imagine the bleak picture during the 2011 festival season when there was a slowdown in the demand and sales.The strikes and lockouts notwithstanding!
The present figures are fully buoyed by the budget phobia of most of the car buyers, who tried and saved on the Central Excise duty component.
Maruti has shown that it is King and its Alto, Swift and DZire coupled with the Wagon R are all the models that keep it going. I am sure that the profits netted by these Fab Four to the MSIL finance department make up for the financial losses that are caused by the A Star, Estilo, Kizashi and the Grand Vitara. The latter two were badly mauled and injured by buyers and have been again assaulted grievously by the budget! Add the Ritz, Eeco and the Ertiga to the better selling Marutis. The eerie calm in the labour-management relations at MSIL have also played a major role to set the sales charts afire. Lets hope things continue this way.
GM is banking on its Beat, Tavera and also the Spark as its bread and butter products.
Diesels and smaller petrol engines have been crowd pullers, its obvious.
Fiat seems lost even with Sergio Marchionne, CEO, at the helm but not at all bothered about the Indian market. Believe it hardly matters to them.Will they say a TATA to the Indian market sooner or later?
Ford seems to be lugging along with the Figo and to some extent the Fiesta Classic. The New Fiesta has not been marketed well. The Endeavour sales at "Sweet 16" is not charming either, though 16 is a lovely figure.
The Endeavour and the Chevrolet Captiva need to bid goodbye with this kinda "Mitsubishi" figures.
And the micro surprise is from the HM stable. Ambassador sales have increased by 20% from some 160 to 200 units!
The Honda Jazz is going nowhere. Honda has two winners - the City and the Brio.But their petrol diet is a non-charmer in the Mad Diesel World.
Coming to Hyundai, but for the Sonata (they are launching a newer Sonata every alternate year), almost all models are reporting very good sales.Their Eon is a master stroke in a segment where they were once absent.
Mahindra's XUV sales (3196) at are higher than its Xylo (2805).The Scorpio has sold 4394 units, but the Innova has soared to 6765 units.The Bolero creates a record with its 10,000 plus units sold.I however feel that Bolero is a larger definition of all the UV's clubbed as brand Bolero (Camper,Maxx, Savari, Pick-Up, Major as they don't rather never, reveal the sales figures of these variants).The Mahindra Verito is another example of a product that was a non mover to one thats again in demand.
The Nissan Micra and Sunny will keep the company going.
I pray that Renault touches four figure sales of at least two of its models or else we can say that its threesome combined don't even sell more than the now Indian Verito.The Logan ghost (read Ghosn) is haunting them.
The Skoda Rapid will look after the financial health of Skoda at Ranjangaon as the other models are ailing even in a buoyant market, even with their diesel hearts. Pity Skoda!
The Tata Nano has reported five digit sales for the first time in history. And the diesel power has done wonder to the Indica-go sales.
Toyota has its Liva, Etios and Innova to keep it going.The Camry sales at zero is noteworthy. Why they can't tell the buyers that the Corolla and Camry are their best selling models in many markets? Obviously, there will be no takers for their idea as our market is a class apart from any other market.
The Volkswagen Beetle at zero is another "chart stopper". Their Polo and Vento however have many fans to take care of brand VW.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 23:33   #37
Senior - BHPian

Great analysis as usual.

Wonder what happened to CRV in Feb? Stock clearance with fabulous discounts?

Pajero Sport seems to be competing with the Amby for highest selling vehicle award in Mitsu's stable. Mitsu sure screwed things up with the pricing. They have some of the best vehicles in the market, all ruined due to poor business decisions.

Fortuner sales hasn't dipped yet!

Last edited by nilanjanray : 3rd April 2012 at 23:38.
Old 4th April 2012, 03:09   #38
BHPian

Dzire at 16k is a stunning figure..

The swift platform sells more than the Alto...mindblowing!!

Ford has killed the Fiesta with its pricing..Shame as it is a very competent car.

Nissan sunny figures are surprising,4k sales without a proper dealer network.Had it been a Maruti,am sure would have sold around 10k if not more.
joy_swift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 03:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Tata Nano has reported five digit sales for the first time in history.
Sorry to nit-pick. But this is not the first time. It did cross 10k in April 2011 and came close in couple of months during its production run.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...igures-12.html
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 06:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

I am also rather disappointed with the Ford Figo performance. It is really one capable (and spacious) hatch. I use my colleague's TDCI occasionally when my car is not available.
Methinks it is time for a refresh/facelift. And maybe an AT variant as well.
And I wonder why the Fiat Punto is doing so badly despite diesel in its arsenal? Price or ASS?
Old 4th April 2012, 07:02   #41
dot
Senior - BHPian

With almost 300% increase in sales of the Sunny in the last six months, Nissan must be feeling pretty good.
I am really hopeful that Nissan will bring out more and more products as their cars are really great.
Old 4th April 2012, 07:54   #42
Team-BHP Support

Pretty good show by the Pajero Sport. Just launched, and it’s indeed the second largest selling SUV in the D2 segment. Not bad at all for a CBU!
Old 4th April 2012, 08:29   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Pajero Sport seems to be competing with the Amby for highest selling vehicle award in Mitsu's stable. Mitsu sure screwed things up with the pricing. They have some of the best vehicles in the market, all ruined due to poor business decisions.
Actually the Pajero might have outsold the Amby had it not been the piquant situation the transport department in WB specially Kolkata is in . There is a high court order that all commercial vehicles more than 15 years old should be off the road hence there is a need to replace the Amby taxis here. But then HM only makes BS3 ones in the 1.5L version which the taxi guys use here because of the price and BS3 versions are not allowed to be sold in metros. Its only through a special high court concession and in violation of central government directives that 1.5L BS3 Ambys are allowed to be sold till April 30th, 2012 in Kolkata after which I think Amby sales will again fall back to below 100 per month. HM have themselves confessed that they are years from making a BS4 compliant 1.5L engine even after 3/4 years "research" into it.

The strong fascination of the taxi cab community in Kolkata towards Ambys is because this claptrap of a contraption is much easier to rig for faulty meter readings compared to other cars which have more electronics involved of course in collusion with the totally corrupt RTO in Kolkata.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 08:42   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Exactly. I10 was once placed No 2, only behind the mighty Alto, and now, it is placed a distant eighth in the top-10 list. Heck, it would have been placed 9th had Mahindra sold only 80 Boleros more.

In refusing to introduce (ASAP) a diesel variant, Hyundai seems to be losing the plot on an otherwise fantastic car. With stiff competition from other hatches (which have dual petrol-diesel options), the i10 is struggling to grow in the market and is stagnant with 9000-10,000 sales.
You are right. But one thing I would like to point out is that the i10 is the lone petrol only car in the B2 segment that clocks 10k units month on month consistently. It's not that the i10 dropped from 2nd to 8th per se, but 6 other lower segment cars took it's position. Every average Indian car buyer would think twice before buying a B2 petrol hatch these days.

I also think that the Honda's Brio is the one car that might give stiff competition to the i10.
Old 4th April 2012, 08:43   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I was hoping to see Jetta fall below 100 units so I could squeeze some decent discount on it. But I guess I will have to wait for some time. .
It looks like VW have screwed up on production mix and volumes. They built too many highlines. There were only 3 available in stock in Bangalore - one Brown manual and two auto's. Guess who got the manual one that too with a discount! They still have one auto in stock. Any comfortline produced is already to order

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
alive.

What are you doing Mistsubishi? A lame looking Pajero Sport ain't going to set the sales charts on fire. What is the point of selling an EVO X? Bring in the updated 150 horse power Lancer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Pretty good show by the Pajero Sport. Just launched, and it’s indeed the second largest selling SUV in the D2 segment. Not bad at all for a CBU!
I really do not understand. The Bangalore dealer is folding up, 3 white Outlanders to offload then it shuts shop!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed