Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2012, 09:10   #46
BHPian

Re: March 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Thanks for fantastic analysis guys.
What's up with the sudden spike Innova numbers off late? It was hovering around 3-4.5K every month last year and had a 3-4 month waiting list as well. Since January 2012, they seem to be selling > 6k units consistently. Not sure if they have increased their capacity significantly to take on the upcoming Ertiga, Evalia & Enjoy. BTW, Toyota dealers in Bangalore are calling up all their existing customers looking for potential buyers for Innova & Fortuner.

Nissan's on a roll with the Sunny. Renault's Pulse numbers just might help keep their dealers above water till they get in the Duster (with a sane pricing).

Good to see Nano hitting the 10k after a long time and hope this continues going forward. This article from ET (to be taken with loads of salt ) indicates that Tata might phase out the 14-year old Indica. If it really happens, we'll get the correct picture of the Vistas being sold every month.

Tata Motors may phase out old models like Indica, Sumo Spacio - The Economic Times
Old 4th April 2012, 09:14   #47
BHPian

Thanks GTO and team for yet another outstanding analysis! Great way to end the FY12 thanks to the budget fears.

Another sad month for Fiat, am sure they would be wondering what they need to do to come back. Newer models, strengthened communication, announcement of independent sales outlets, serving italian coffee has not helped. They are not brining in the much sought for 1.6 MJD in linea which kind of makes it a lower C segment car with upper C segment pricing. I think discontinuing the 1.4 FIRE, replacing it with Tjet and announcing 1.6 MJD might make some difference, though the costs may be prohibitive for fiat - chicken and egg story here for sure.

City and brio hold up the Honda flags. Sad to see the best premium hatch JAZZ (IMHO) is seeing such bad numbers. A friend of mine had booked one in Aug and no news on delivery yet. Such a wonderful product and no push from Honda. Are you listening Honda?

Mahindra flag shining high, all products doing good numbers. They would be hoping to do better with Xylo for sure. Waiting to see how big a threat Duster and Ecosport are to their products.

Maruti sailing high, but they would still be wondering what they should do to take the flag higher - upper C segment onwards. That said, waiting for response on Ertiga and more than that waiting for the T-bhp review of it.

Sunny - wow amazing story, good to see it doing more than 4k in numbers. Nice caaaar for sure. Eagerly waiting for GTO's ownership review of it.

Finally Thanks again to the mods for such a wonderful analysis!
Old 4th April 2012, 09:19   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
There were only 3 available in stock in Bangalore - one Brown manual and two auto's. Guess who got the manual one that too with a discount!
You got a Jetta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
I really do not understand. The Bangalore dealer is folding up, 3 white Outlanders to offload then it shuts shop!
Yeah, last time when I checked, there was no Bangalore dealer listed in their website.
Old 4th April 2012, 09:28   #49
Senior - BHPian

Great, clear and simple analysis, thanks GTO & Jalsa.

Interesting to see that 800 is still registering sales figures, i guess these are the left over stock in Tier2 & 3 cities.

Honda must be really irritated, on one hand the Brio is doing 6k sales while the erstwhile 6k sale car the City went down. I guess they need that diesel pretty quick.
Old 4th April 2012, 09:30   #50
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the excellent analysis GTO and Jalsa

This post is for the manufacturers Hyundai, Honda, Toyota and Chevy. You have the international launches for Elantra, ix35, Civic, Camry and Captiva, do think of moving fast in the Indian market. There is demand and growth in their segments. All of these are excellent cars and I am sure will be favourites amongst buyers.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 4th April 2012 at 09:31.
Old 4th April 2012, 10:37   #51
BHPian

I was eagerly waiting for this! Great work by jalsa & GTO as usual!

The excise increase let to a rush and while i was sure it was going to be a bumper month, i didnt expect this kind of jump!

Maruti Dominates as usual, nothing more to say! http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2719789

Hyundai Eon is moving up slowly and i see lot more cars on the road! Doubt it they can unseat alto! The other cars not showing a big fight!

Tata NANO is selling and i am feeling happy about it! I somehow have a soft corner for TATA (Due to Mr Ratan Tata) and hope they go from strength to strenght!

Ford sales are dissapointing! I must eat my own words, i had predicted that the new price should set the sales ringing for the new fiesta but sadly i was wrong. I am looking for a new vehicle (waiting for ecosport/Duster) since i sold my Swift but if the dismal sales continue i think i will wait a while to bargain for a good deal on the Fiesta Automatic.

Mahindra will continue to rock the chart! with Mini Xylo on the way, one more small SUV expected before diwali, i think they will only become stronger in months to come! Bolero continues to stump me but nevertheless the customer is always right! I must be blind to miss something there

I expect April month to be dull in terms of numbers with increased tax and lot of customers preponing thier buys! I am going to wait and watch if the indian customer will continue to baffle me!
Old 4th April 2012, 10:42   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
I expect April month to be dull in terms of numbers with increased tax and lot of customers preponing thier buys! I am going to wait and watch if the indian customer will continue to baffle me!
+1 to that. This morning I was watching CNBC-TV18 & happened to listen to Mr. Shashank Srivastava, Chief General Manager (Marketing). His comments for March 2012 sales figures, "Storm before the lull", don't see significant change in the fundamentals. The first half of this year is going to be difficult. He also spoke @ the new model coming up very shortly in a weeks time, opening up entirly new segment, MPV. He was hinting to the Ertiga. Industry growth rate likely to be 7-10% in FY13, however he said the H1-2013 would be a difficult period.
Old 4th April 2012, 10:46   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda View Post
Thanks for fantastic analysis guys.
What's up with the sudden spike Innova numbers off late? It was hovering around 3-4.5K every month last year and had a 3-4 month waiting list as well. Since January 2012, they seem to be selling > 6k units consistently. Not sure if they have increased their capacity significantly to take on the upcoming Ertiga, Evalia & Enjoy. BTW, Toyota dealers in Bangalore are calling up all their existing customers looking for potential buyers for Innova & Fortuner.

Nissan's on a roll with the Sunny. Renault's Pulse numbers just might help keep their dealers above water till they get in the Duster (with a sane pricing).

Good to see Nano hitting the 10k after a long time and hope this continues going forward. This article from ET (to be taken with loads of salt ) indicates that Tata might phase out the 14-year old Indica. If it really happens, we'll get the correct picture of the Vistas being sold every month.

Tata Motors may phase out old models like Indica, Sumo Spacio - The Economic Times
Your guess of capacity being cleared up for additional production from Plant 1. The Altis has moved to plant 2.

Plant 1 is running full capacity with overtime to clear out the existing waiting period. The Plant 2 will be handingly the Camry assembling as well with expected production of 200 units a month.
Old 4th April 2012, 11:05   #54
BHPian

Well, one of the 6000 odd RITZ is mine
But to share an observation that struck me during our buying process:
We visited some 5 Maruti showrooms just to compare prices, and in each of the showrooms, the sales agent were aggressively pushing the Wagon R down our throats, even though we started our conversations quite frankly about a RITZ VXI non ABS model.
Across different dealerships, sales agents would give us the Wagon R brochure along with the RITZ brochure, the test drive of the RITZ was followed by a test drive on the Wagon R on the agent' insistence, and they all argued how Wagon R has more features, is more fuel efficient, more value for money and what not!!
I was really surprised, coz i always expected agents would try to coax me into a more costly model or a higher variant atleast. Given that the next model after Ritz, viz, the Swift has a huge waiting period, i was expecting arguments for the Ritz VXi ABS. But here they were actually trying to push a car a good 50,000 less in price. Even Maruti as a company was offering 25,000 discount of wagon R compared to just 20,000 on a Ritz (this too was touted by the sales agents repeatedly).
i wonder why Maruti has this step brotherly attitude towards the RITZ. IF they are bringing about a newer model of Ritz, shouldn't they actually be trying to sell the old model more?
What exactly is the story behind such marketing strategy?
Old 4th April 2012, 11:05   #55
BHPian

Wagon R is doing great numbers despite not having a diesel variant.

i10 has not shown the growth, it ought have in the last month of the season.

Eon has had little impact on Maruti products but more on its own sibling the i10. I feel Eon would have crossed 20 thousand units if it had a 4 cylinder motor.

With Hyundai's strategy, they are not utilizing the full potential of Eon. I seriously believe i10 will continue to hover around the 10k mark and that it will struggle to increase its tally. The reason being price wise it is competing with the bigger hatches like Swift, Ritz, Figo etc on one end and its chief nemesis the Wagon R on the other. I just feel Eon has to be given a heart transplant with the irde2. Santro i am afraid has run its course and the writing is on the wall. Yes it is selling around 5k at this moment in time but how long ? They cannot hold back the Eon to lengthen Santro's lifespan. This the product strategy i would like Hyundai to increase their total sales tally. In the ascending order.

Eon with the three cylinder motor.

Eon with irde2 and Santro with its current motor. Phase out Santro when its sales drop below 3k mark.

i10 with irde2.

i10 with kappa2 in both manual and automatic variants.

With this strategy the Eon will be able to broaden its appeal to both mass market and enthusiasts as well. The i10 with its kappa2 engine will continue to sell well because of its feature list, engine and space. When the diesel engine becomes available in i10, the diesel variant it will sit at the top of the tree.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 11:15   #56
BHPian

Thanks to GTO and Jalsa for the great analysis and the neat charts. And wow, what a month it has been for the industry folks. As GTO says, this will be only temporary, a pre-budget rush to get the car and save a quick buck.

Nevertheless, great to see Nano doing 10k numbers. Finally, the Tata efforts are paying off.

Also good to see Honda doing better than the previous month. Way to go. They build great cars and have to do better.

The top losers has been a surprise. A-star, City, Punto, Micra, SX4 are all great cars and sad to see them not doing well. Any particular reasons?
Old 4th April 2012, 11:27   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
Mahindra -- anand mahindra has the guts. One big salute to you

GM -- PLEASE GET SOMETHING IN PLACE OF UVA AND AVEO. Y WASTE TIME.
Mr. Anand Mahindra told in a session in our company" If SUVs & MUVs lose their market/interest in India he might have to take premature retirement". Seems with XUV and Bolero he extended his retirement age. Hats off to you Sir.

GM is replacing AVEO. Probably after November AVEO will be out of selves. Is Optra Next? Please GM keep it for some more time,at par with civic in sales figure. Being a diesel car not selling more than CIVIC might be a concern for GM but they are themselves to blame. No GM centre interested in selling this car.

Thanks GTO and Jalsa for this detailed analysis.
Old 4th April 2012, 11:51   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post

GM -- PLEASE GET SOMETHING IN PLACE OF UVA AND AVEO. Y WASTE TIME.

Fiat - I don't blame on you. Build up faith. In India faith = maruti

Renault --- stop this rebranding job. Get on ur own or else learn from nissan

HM mitsubishi -- let god alone save this company that rolls out fantastic products

Skoda -- how long will you drag. Time to get some product refreshments
Couldn't agree more on above points.
Why GM is hell bent on selling duds like Aveo, UVA & to some extent even optra. Needs serious rethink. Also, what are they doing to Captiva?
FIAT: I think they are suffering from the branding"FIAT", which reminds most people of Premier Padmini, & hence however hard they try, I don't think they are going anywhere with FIAT badge coupled with pathetic A.S.Service network.
HM-Mitsubishi: Fantastic products, marketed by company with mindset of 60's. So no hope whatsoever. Even God can't save this company.
Skoda: Time for product & "Service Attitude" refreshment.

Hats off to GTO & Jalsa for such a wonderful report.
Old 4th April 2012, 12:02   #59
BHPian

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment. Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out vehicles (Prius, 370Z) as they have negligible impact in overall market share. Hope this is helpful.

March 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg
March 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg
March 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg
March 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg
jessie007 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 12:33   #60
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic month for the industry and an amazing analysis. The "Movers and Shakers" summary (which was sorely missed a couple of times in the past) was the icing on the cake. Thanks GTO and Jalsa!

With ~3100 shipments for the XUV5OO in Mar'12, Mahindra seems to be going through the 7200 bookings really fast. I am betting on April-end or May-firstWeek for the next lot of bookings to open.

The segment chart for D1 segment is interesting, with Mahindras showing how a well-priced car can shake a segment and can claim numbers never heard from other peers in the segment.

PS: Looking at the overall activity on the XUV thread as well as the FB page, looks like the overall hysteria about the XUV is soon getting over. That's good new for serious buyers.

Last edited by SDP : 4th April 2012 at 12:34.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed