Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2012, 20:29   #76
BHPian

Re: March 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Movers & Shakers

• From an over-priced competent Jazz to a well-priced competent Brio, Honda’s strategy has taken a 180-degree turn. Once bitten, twice shy I guess. With parts & supplies now coming in from Thailand, the Brio emerges as Honda’s bestselling car ever, recording a whopping 6,355 shipments. The City does respectfully well at the 4k mark, though all other Hondas (Accord, CRV, Civic & Jazz) are royal D-U-D-S. Recently heard that Honda is restricting Jazz volumes because there's no money to be made at the new, slashed price.
With the recent price cuts, thought Jazz was VFM. Nobody offered so much more at 6.5 L OTR. The base version had everything that you really needed - ABS, Airbags, Inbuilt stereo.

They had used the budget to hike the prices silently. THe prices have gone up by about 20k compared, of which around 12k could be attributed to the budget. Not sure even after this , whether it really gives them any margin.
Still I feel market can and will gobble up Jazz, if only they are willing to sell it. Absence of a display and test drive car sums up Honda's thinking.
Having bought jazz recently, wondering if i'll see more jazz on road. While i absolutely love the product, group-belonging would make me feel more secure
Old 4th April 2012, 22:39   #77
BHPian

Fantastic effort, GTO & Jalsa !

Fiat's curios roller-coaster figures of the Punto are amusing , see a rise to 1600 in Jan then a drop to 950 and a high variation from 1600 at highest and 260 odd at lowest point; it looks like a lot of those were December bookings at high discounts. Could have got a 90bhp at Figo prices then ?

The Figo's drop in numbers is perplexing too , admitted the price has risen but it also got added features like alloys that were missing , and is still the cheapest diesel hatch when considering top end variant ( ABS + airbags ). Maybe it was the utter shortage of Swifts that drove buyers to the Figo , but since then the labour issues been resolved and waiting periods have dropped - that might explain the reduced popularity of the Figo.

Last edited by Ricci : 4th April 2012 at 22:42.
Old 4th April 2012, 23:35   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10

Jazz has no takers even after the reduced price. Brio doing good. City has slumped. Is it the diesel effect?

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007
The Honda Jazz is going nowhere. Honda has two winners - the City and the Brio.But their petrol diet is a non-charmer in the Mad Diesel World.
Low Jazz numbers are due to more production of Brio and City. Honda is currently operating at full swing and priority is to clear Brio back log first and then Jazz. Currently Jazz has waiting period of at least 3 to 4 months. Once the production is streamlined, Jazz numbers are expected to go up. We booked Jazz back in Dec. 2011 and are being told that expected delivery is around last week of April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007

The Camry sales at zero is noteworthy. Why they can't tell the buyers that the Corolla and Camry are their best selling models in many markets? Obviously, there will be no takers for their idea as our market is a class apart from any other market.
Toyota Camry sales is Zero as Toyota is not importing any kits of old version Camry. They are gearing up for New 2012 Camry.

As far as Corolla is concerned, it is leading its segment by comfortable margin.
Old 5th April 2012, 08:44   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Jazz numbers are expected to go up. We booked Jazz back in Dec. 2011 and are being told that expected delivery is around last week of April.!
Jazz has lower profit margins after the price cuts and that is the main reason Brio is given priority in production!

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th April 2012 at 08:45.
Old 5th April 2012, 09:01   #80
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO.

Japanese are re-writing the story in India also.

Toyota rules the MUV segment.
Honda now getting the glimpse of hatchback.
Nissan getting the market share of Sedan.

The XUV 500!!! Well done Mahindra. And even the new Xylo looks far better than the old. Somewhat like the "cheaper" XUV feel
Old 5th April 2012, 09:27   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10

Jazz has lower profit margins after the price cuts and that is the main reason Brio is given priority in production!

Cheers!
Yes, agreed. But my reply was on your post that stated that Jazz has no takers. That's not true at all. There are many people waiting for the car and believe me, if it is available off the shelf or with very little wait, it can post much better numbers.
Old 5th April 2012, 10:35   #82
BHPian

Thanks GTO & Team for wonderful report.

Good to see Nano consistently improving month on month, but is still far below its capability. Probably a Diesel & CVT will get those numbers.

XUV will continue to be at around 3K figures till they further enhance capacity.

Though Fiat’s sales & service experience is improving, it’s not showing in sales nos. They have a long way to go to change market perception. They need to consistently work on brand building + A.S.S. improvement + exclusive dealer network + couple of new launches.
IMO they should also go with top down approach once they have their exclusive dealers.

Dzire at 16451 would be highest in history.
Swift is another wonder. 20K second month in a row & I am sure this will continue.
Full marks to Maruti for upgrading their hot selling models & taking the game to next level.

I wonder why Tata Motors takes so much time to respond to competition. Their overall market share is slowly declining.
They must launch Manza CS immediately & should come out with Manza & Vista upgrades.

By the way, JLR in India seems to be doing quite well. Full year nos are at 2288. (Source: Tata Motors website).
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 12:15   #83
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to you guys for this lovely thread! Keeps getting better every month! No other magazine / website provides such details!

--Glad to see Rapid on steady ground! Out of 2.8k sold I bought one
There are already 10 Rapids & Ventos in my office, shows the gaining popularity.
--Great to see the Sunny do well. It outperforms all other competitors like Etios, Verito and Manza in every aspect and deserves to do even better!
--What is Renault trying to do? Pulse doing worse than Fabia and the Punto!
--Nothing seems to stop the Swift! This is the cult car of the millenium!
--People dont seem to mind the shorter looking dzire at all! H.ever I think the numbers for the dzire should drop a little going forward. Many of these customers who are taking delivery would have actually booked the older dzire, and maruti had converted those bookings to the new ones.
--The new fiesta is a goner! No amount of discounts will be enough now! Even the old fiesta classic is losing traction now and is being bought more by fleets / hotel taxis etc rather than for self driving. What a disaster Ford!

Last edited by motorworks : 5th April 2012 at 12:18.
Old 5th April 2012, 13:51   #84
BHPian

I think April'12 will be a very sober month for Passenger vehicles - rate cuts havent happened, and a lot of folks pre-poned their buying in anticipation of a policy change for Diesel cars
Old 5th April 2012, 16:00   #85
BHPian

Sensational performance by the Brio, the Vento and the Laura - the top 3 gainers from February '12 to March '12. That totally seemed to come out of left field!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Guess who got the manual one that too with a discount! They still have one auto in stock. Any comfortline produced is already to order
@Ajmat: Slightly off-topic, but could you please tell us what kind of discount did you manage to extract?

Last edited by Omtoatom : 5th April 2012 at 16:11.
Old 5th April 2012, 16:23   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Yes, agreed. But my reply was on your post that stated that Jazz has no takers. That's not true at all. There are many people waiting for the car and believe me, if it is available off the shelf or with very little wait, it can post much better numbers.
I checked the Honda site and discovered an interesting thing--seems it costs them more to transport a Jazz to Bangalore than a City CE model !!
Jazz Ex Delhi is 5.75, Blr is 5.89 --Difference of 14 K
City CE Ex Delhi is 7.2, Blr is 7.295 --Difference of 9.5 K

How does one explain higher transportation charges for a car that is lighter, has lower volume - Very painfully evident that Honda does not really want to sell the Jazz.
Old 5th April 2012, 17:35   #87
BHPian

I guess we should be proud of Indian D1 car making it to the top in its segment.
Keep it up XUV500
Old 5th April 2012, 18:33   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda View Post
Thanks for fantastic analysis guys.
What's up with the sudden spike Innova numbers off late? It was hovering around 3-4.5K every month last year and had a 3-4 month waiting list as well. Since January 2012, they seem to be selling > 6k units consistently. Not sure if they have increased their capacity significantly to take on the upcoming Ertiga, Evalia & Enjoy. BTW, Toyota dealers in Bangalore are calling up all their existing customers looking for potential buyers for Innova & Fortuner.
Apart from the refreshed model + march effect, its because they are listening to customer feedback! The new G variant has ABS and driver side airbag as standard. An automatic would take it further - i am inline for that one for sure.
Old 5th April 2012, 20:10   #89
BHPian

corolla has just outsold the civic by huge numbers
Old 5th April 2012, 20:34   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worrisomebear
corolla has just outsold the civic by huge numbers
And that's not something that Corolla achieved only in this month. Corolla is outselling all other sedans in its segment for quite a long time now. If you look at last several months, Civic is continuously outsold by not only Corolla but also by Cruze.

Moreover, future also doesn't look good for Civic as their new 2012 Civic model is getting bad reviews from all over the world.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 5th April 2012 at 20:37.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks