Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 10:41   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Heard of the Skoda Jetta? KA RTO goof up

Well, Kerala RTO changed my address and my fathers name on my car RC. Now I need to go ask for a correction. Took about 2 months for the original RC to come, not sure when this corrected one will be delivered.
Since its a used car, only once that is done I can get insurance papers transfered in my name.
Old 11th April 2012, 10:57   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil
I remember my Skoda Laura's RC from 2006 read Skoda Octavia
And let me guess, the RTO told you it's called that in Europe?
Old 11th April 2012, 10:58   #48
BHPian

My Linea had the year of manufacture put down as 2008 although the car was manufactured in 2009. I had to get a letter from the dealer, send it along with the RC to the RTO to get it sorted. All this when I'd specifically asked the dealer if my car would be registered as a 2009, they naturally said yes, since the Linea was never made in 2008!

It took well over 2 months and the only thing that the tranport authorities really did do was paste a small sticker on the back of the RC citing the change!

This is India, mate! Yahan pe (p)aisa hi (sab kuch) hota hai.
Old 11th April 2012, 11:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
BTW, what's the MFG CD on the smart card? Mine reads "SKDAUT".
Mine reads "SKDAUT" too. Just checked. Probably means "Skoda Auto". Just speculating.

But that Skoda Jetta is hilarious! Dont know whether to laugh or .
Is there a way to get this rectified?
Old 11th April 2012, 13:03   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

My Palio stile 1.6 was mentioned as Tata Polio Sport in the RC book.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 18:05   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Received the RC card for my new Jetta. I found the manufacturer was stated as Skoda!!!
Have received the following explanation

(Disclaimer: the logic isn’t mine)

The manufacturer of an automobile is determined on the occurrence of the following two events:

1. Raising of the Factory Invoice on the dealer, and
2. Payment of excise duty on the car.

In (1) above it will be Skoda that raises the Factory Invoice on the dealer as the car is manufactured in Skoda’s factory. Unless, Volkswagen arranges to have the cars shipped to their yard and then raises the Invoice on the dealer and ships the cars from their yard. Volkswagen may not do this as it could involve additional costs of shipping the car (although a work around would be to have their yard adjoining the Skoda factory).

In (2) above, it would be Skoda that pays the excise duty on the car as it is manufactured in their factory and excise duty is payable at the time / point of the leaving the factory gate.

Therefore, since the Jetta satisfies both the conditions and certainly the more important second condition of payment of excise duty, the legal (not logical) interpretation would be that the manufacturer of the car is Skoda.

So all of you read this, please redefine your interpretation of manufacturer to be on the right side of the law.

Now…I’m waiting for the RC card of my new Volkswagen Rapid - watch this space…
Old 17th April 2012, 19:42   #52
Senior - BHPian

The RTA doesnt deem any thing. Issuing a Certificate of Registration based on general/automotive knowledge is not their prerogative.

The RTA makes suitable entries like the manufacturer, class, engine no., chassis no., year of manufacturing, fuel type, color etc based on the documents given by the manufacturer and dealer to the concerned RTA. The MVI inspects the vehicle physically to verify the details provided. Then an RC is isuued.

So, one may check the documents given by the dealer ( one might have, in all probability, have a photocopied set). Another chance is error by the clerk entering the data.

Even if Skoda manufactures the car, the name of the manufacturer needs to be shown as Volks Wagen and not Skoda. Or is it that VW buys cars from Skoda and market them as VW?

Last edited by simplyself : 17th April 2012 at 19:45.
Old 18th April 2012, 09:22   #53
BANNED

Note: (1) The clarification given above is from the Customs and Central Excise Department. This is relevant as it is the first point of levy of any cess / duty / tax on an automobile and the value post imposition of excise duty is usually the basis of other taxes - VAT, Vehicle tax etc. (2) The other regulatory areas governing automobiles such as the CMVR and the MVD do not determine manufacturing status.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 18th April 2012 at 09:33.
Old 18th April 2012, 10:48   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
My Palio stile 1.6 was mentioned as Tata Polio Sport in the RC book.
I was reading this thread in my office and this post made me LOL

BTW the Hyderabad Kondapur RTO has my A-star recorded as a saloon. I hope it gets me extra bucks at the time of sale
Old 21st April 2012, 00:00   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
I was reading this thread in my office and this post made me LOL

BTW the Hyderabad Kondapur RTO has my A-star recorded as a saloon. I hope it gets me extra bucks at the time of sale
Same is the case with me , these RTO guys are not educated well enough , thats what my car dealer told me .
My Chevrolet Beat is also registered as a sedan . When i complained about it to my dealer i was told to return the old Registration Card and they would provide me a new one within 15 days, but I was not so comfortable taking my new car out without papers so the case is still the same.
Old 21st April 2012, 10:39   #56
BHPian

I just received my RC Card from the Bangalore EC RTO after 3 and a half months of Registering.
The Fuel Type on my Petrol car is written as Diesel.
Maybe the RTO is on a mission to convert all Petrol cars to Diesel owing to the increasing Petrol Prices.
Need to complain to the Dealer now.
What happens if this is not changed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks