Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2012, 11:28   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Heard of the Skoda Jetta?

I checked my Vento registration. It just says Vento 1.6 MPI...etc. under "model". There is no mention of Volkswagen anywhere on the smartcard except under MFG CD (assume this is manufacturer code), which says VOLKSW (sic)

Also CLASS is mentioned as "LMV" (what the heck!!!). By the way, my Swift is categorised as "Saloon"

Don't bother about all this. But jut to sure, check with other Bangalore Jetta owners what their RC smartcards read.
Old 5th April 2012, 11:29   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
So you owners of the Skoda Jetta, Skoda Passat, Skoda A4, Skoda A6, Skoda Q5. Thats what happens when your car is assembled by Skoda and registered by the Bangalore RTO
Good one Ajmat. I think the officials are not upto speed with the brands getting launched in India.

Anyways, congratulations! And looking forward to a very detailed ownership review
Old 5th April 2012, 11:46   #18
BHPian

@ Ajmat.
One spin-off of this unbelievable classification is lot of bewilderment and suspicion on the authenticity of the RC document, especially when under scrutiny of our popular road naka cops. You would probably have to spend some time explaining the finer aspects of your local RTO's brainwave to them, and I doubt if it will be easy. It would probably get worse if you are touring different States where a Jetta is known as VW Jetta , and not Skoda Jetta!!!
R. Kotwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 12:23   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Gurgaon RTO is even smarter. They printed Skoda Superb on my Laura registration certificate. The automatically got to know that my car has the same Engine and gearbox as Superb, so they decided to upgrade my status.
.anshuman is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 12:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

I think this happens with most of the RTO's. When I got my Punto, I shocked to see that it was mentioned as Fiat Linea. I have also heard people got in their RC as Tata Linea and Tata Palio. This stupidity is happening in Chennai too.
Old 5th April 2012, 13:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Received the RC card for my new Jetta. I found the manufacturer was stated as Skoda!!!

Rang up the dealer who mentioned that since the car is built by Skoda, the RTO deem that the manufacturer is Skoda based on the papers represented for registration!!!
I can most definitely assure you that this isn't a universal (read national) phenomenon. This seems to me to be a localized issue based on an arbitrary interpretation of its laws by the RTO coupled with a total lack of centralized control. I was pretty amused to read your post opener and actually called a neighbor who had bought a Jetta TDi last February. Discovered his vehicle is registered here in Maharashtra and voila, his RC card correctly says 'Volkswagen'!! To his slight annoyance, I got him to double check on that too.

Quote:
So you owners of the Skoda Jetta, Skoda Passat, Skoda A4, Skoda A6, Skoda Q5. Thats what happens when your car is assembled by Skoda and registered by the Bangalore RTO
Yeah, imagine a splurging on an A8, flaunting it suitably, only to be then gently tapped on the shoulder by the government as if to say, "Congratulations on blowing a hundred lacs on a Skoda son!"

BTW which trim do you buy?

Last edited by Omtoatom : 5th April 2012 at 14:01.
Old 5th April 2012, 13:37   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Yeah, imagine a splurging on an A8, flaunting it suitably, only to be then gently tapped on the shoulder by the government to say, "Congratulations on blowing a hundred lacs on a Skoda!"
That won't happen with an A8 since it is imported
Old 5th April 2012, 14:06   #23
~~h
BHPian

Quote:
Received the RC card for my new Jetta. I found the manufacturer was stated as Skoda!!!
...registered by the Bangalore RTO
Lol..and Kerala RTO thinks my Punto 1.2 makes 90bhp.
Congrats on the Jetta.
OT: thought you moved to Bombay, why paying the high tax & register in Banglore ?
Old 5th April 2012, 14:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Just for the records, my VW Polo was registered as a sedan at Maharashtra RTO
Old 5th April 2012, 14:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Is there any way such "errors" can be corrected?

Isint it dangerous to live with such errors on the RC? What if you travel to another state and the inspector there doesnt accept it!

@noopster: Class as LMV for Vento is correct. It is a car

Last edited by joslicx : 5th April 2012 at 14:20.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 14:26   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, why not?
Bangalore RTO are calling these cars what they really are.

One of my neighbours told me that all Fiat cars run on Tata's award winning diesel engine and I did not know how to correct him.

If the Aurangabad plant is really registered in Skoda's name, then RTO is helping everyone understand who's who .
anandpadhye is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 14:29   #27
Team-BHP Support

This is totally ridiculous. You should ask them to show you other RC books they have on file for Jettas as well as other models to see if they have similar issues.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 15:51   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Heard of the Skoda Jetta? KA RTO goof up

Look at the bright side, Ajit : Maybe, it's one petrol-head RTO officer who is mighty cheesed off with all the platform sharing, and decided to give the manufacturers a taste of their own medicine

Seriously though, you should get it corrected while the iron is hot. Don't let it stay the way it is, could come back to bite you at the time of sale.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 16:08   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Gurgaon RTO is even smarter. They printed Skoda Superb on my Laura registration certificate. The automatically got to know that my car has the same Engine and gearbox as Superb, so they decided to upgrade my status.
I hope you didn't have to pay the Road Tax & Insurance amount that of Superb! So from these posts, looks like it's a common problem across India! Has any of these been reported to the dealers or the company?!

Going by these, should NOT we see Fiat Manzas too? The Ranjangaon plant belongs to the Fiat right?

Edit
::Frankly, seeing the title I was thinking Skoda is gonna re-badge Jetta and bring in a "Skoda" version of it!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th April 2012 at 16:11. Reason: Added the "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 16:22   #30
BHPian

Re: Heard of the Skoda Jetta? KA RTO goof up

- I don't get this. The name "Jetta" belongs to the VW Group. Going by that logic atleast, VW Jetta should be on the RTO.

- But wait, going by that logic, will we see a VW Carrera?

- Maybe the space on the form was not enough for a long name like Volkswagen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks