Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th June 2014, 23:01   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures

Just tumbled upon this video showcasing the growth of Daewoo Motor in its heydays and a video on the original matiz.

And another one. Both of these videos also show the Indian plant.

Also, this makes for worth seeing some cool pics.

http://oldcar-korea.tistory.com/351

http://www.drivingandlife.com/2012/0...an-cherry.html
sidindica is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 18:36   #92
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures

Few days back, a known person dealing in scrap got a chance to visit the plant to check the remains. The story is that Argentum abandoned the plant in 2013 and it has been lying in possession of court ever since. The scrap either has now been auctioned or may be auctioned soon, and soon, this plant will be history. Now, there is news that labour union is not allowing movements of any property outside the premises. Whats the real truth, is unknown, but, some new sights have been uncovered, as early as mid jan 2015.

These pics were posted in a facebook group page also, and have been sourced from there.

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-z-1.jpg
daewoo lanos (lower C segment sedan) and tacuma rotting

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-z-2.jpg
bodyshells of final edition matiz, called matiz 2002

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-z-3.jpg
few imported-from-korea engine components

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-z-4.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-z-5.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-z-6.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-z-7.jpg
Thats the bodyshell of matiz II, a facelift of original matiz which daewoo had planned to launch in India once crisis got over, but that never happened. Instead, we got matiz III aka the chevrolet spark.

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-z-8.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-z-9.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-z-10.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-z-11.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-z-12.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-z-13.jpg

Last edited by sidindica : 26th January 2015 at 18:41.
sidindica is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 20:58   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
These pics were posted in a facebook group page also, and have been sourced from there.
Look at that! It seems Daewoo would have had a good run in India if the crisis in the parent company hadn't crippled its operations here. It's a pity to look at all those components and body in white shells in this condition.

Quote:
daewoo lanos (lower C segment sedan) and tacuma rotting
Apart from the Matiz that was loved by almost everybody, this was one sedan I was eagerly looking forward to see on Indian roads. I'm sure the Lanos would have given a tough fight to the Ikons and Accents of those days.

- This pic made me feel nostalgic. Thanks again for posting.
arvi86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 21:09   #94
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The engine components / body shells for the Matiz - wouldnt it be a good idea for Chevrolet to pick these up and refurbish and use some of them on the Spark??
Old 27th January 2015, 11:38   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The engine components / body shells for the Matiz - wouldnt it be a good idea for Chevrolet to pick these up and refurbish and use some of them on the Spark??
Hm... and can later issue a recall for "rusting"...
Old 22nd September 2018, 03:09   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

A nice video on Daewoo India:

Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 18:49   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this old board:

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-20200824_161534.jpg

Made me quite nostalgic.
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 19:25   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Spotted this old board:

Attachment 2047155

Made me quite nostalgic.
Quite amazed to see that this board still survives. Actually most of the Daewoo cars don’t, and what is left is in worse condition.

Brings memory to a small story. While shopping for car in 2001-02; a lot of people suggested us the Matiz. While in retrospect, I think it looked good when compared to what we’ve seen in the recent years but a lot of conventional people were still warming up to the new tall boy design of the then Matiz and the Santro. So, despite a decent engine and a nice car which garnered rave reviews, we dropped it from our consideration set.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 21:16   #99
BHPian

Team-BHP is a treasure trove because of countless gems like this, which resurface delightfully and unexpectedly ever so often. The original posts, themselves a marker of their time, are fascinating. Seeing the pictures of the plant, as it once was, felt like visiting a museum exhibit. It was disheartening to see that the plant fell into further disrepair but I guess such things are inevitable.

This thread also brought back memories of the Matiz and Santro era, which was so exciting as they were amongst the early non-Maruti, modern cars to come to India. I remember straining to see one on my way to and back from school!
Anjadekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 17:46   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe its the end of the daewoes, after all...
I am still unable to comprehend how i stumbled upon this thread in 2020, perhaps destiny. Thanks a lot for your effort sidindica, I share the same emotions as other members have already mentioned.
Matiz(SD, Venice Grey) was our first new car, served us for 16 years and had to take that painful decision to let it go for lack of spares and technicians.

It was the car I loved the most and was one of those rare moments when me and my dad's choices were the same.
I had told my dad to sell it to me when he wanted something else. During a vacation I still remember opening the bonnet and my heart sinking, the entire engine bay coated in engine oil, coolant was mixed with engine oil, hot wiring across the engine compartment probably bypassing the fuses. I knew right away that it wasn't recoverable. The lack of spares and technicians had did it in.
Until the last year or two the car was fabulous, no issues, fun to drive and quite lovable. It was the car i drove to the limits and a few hairy moments too but the car never let me down.

Daewoo was also my first workshop experience, as a curious 18 year old, I used to be with the car during the entire service, bothering each technician with my questions, they were quite excited as well.
That time i had decided that the car I will buy from my own money will be a Daewoo Nexia after reading about it and driving a Cielo.

At the end, good memories but a sad end. Especially sad since the cars were much ahead of their time and far better than the competition in style, performance and quality.
Was quite a feeling looking at the images.
Thanks again sidindica, excellent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Both cars were excellent and high on technology. I still remember reading in Overdrive or Auto India about the Matiz having the best air conditioner in a dedicated test of air conditioning in all cars. The Suzuki Baleno followed if I recall correctly. The Matiz was also known for excellent fuel economy though I recall my uncle not having a very good experience.

I have good memories of the Matiz. It could barely move when you had the air conditioning running.

I would rate the quality of the Cielo, Nexia and Matiz better than today's Fiat, Tata & Toyota India's budget cars. Heck; they had better interiors than the Honda Brio and Toyota Etios. The Etios interiors look outdated if you were to compare it to the Nexia.
Exactly, I remember reading the brochures and manual explaining the use of friction-free plastic in the engine to improve performance and NVH. The Matiz developed 52bhp from the 800cc 3 cylinder as opposed to the 45bhp from the M800 and felt smoother and better.

On our first highway trip with 5 people and luggage with 10-15% AC and that occasional burst on an empty stretch, it returned 23kmpl! I was happily surprised. I just kept the speed between 80-90kmph as i had read that their test car was driven at 88kmph, under test conditions and returned 32kmpl. But it also went down to 12-15kmpl in town depending on AC/traffic/revs.

Ditto for the AC, it was SOP for me to drop a gear and then switch on the AC.

We exchanged it for a Wagon R in 2016 (technical limitations with garage width, else we were set on the Polo as a worthy successor) and everyone who drove/sat in the Matiz earlier said that it was a downgrade. Right from the looks to interior and exterior quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The Matiz was a well built vehicle and was heavier and more stable than my new Santro that I had purchased at the same time. I always loved it more than the Santro and it lasted more too. Only it's fuel pump used to give issues which were sorted out in later years.

With the Cielo, I tasted luxury for the first time.

Your thread brings back real fond memories...
Agree, the Santro was also available then but the Matiz was just better in all respects.
My dad used to do 700km/day return trips usually in a M800 and occasionally in a friend's Santro. Every time he had to rest the following day due to fatigue. Once he went with someone in a Matiz and he didn't feel any fatigue. We bought the Matiz soon after

I first heard about "frontal offset crash tests" and "euro 2" from that car's brochure. The India spec models just had the steering on the other side, no cost-cutting/structure-weakening was done. On a side note they just seemed to lift the steering column and fix it on the other side, didn't rotate the stalks, this caused a lot of indicator/wiper confusions. Also the fuel filler cap was on the driver's side, so they didn't change that as well.

Ditto on the Cielo.

It was just the better car and ahead of its time.
Had Daewoo been around, Hyundai would have had a very tough time and we as enthusiasts would have been better off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Still remember the 's.p.i.c.e' ad from daewoo for Matiz. Its still a good looking car - and looks better than the current avatar chevy spark..
Exactly, Space Power Innovation Comfort Economy.
That sticker lasted 16 years along with the Euro II sticker, can't say the same about cars these days

Last edited by shancz : 4th December 2020 at 18:10. Reason: punctuation
shancz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 21:07   #101
BHPian

Ah!Nostalgia.

The year 1997, I had just bought a spanking new Cielo. It was nice. Had power windows and a radio antenna that went up every time you switched on the music system (radio+cassette player). Plus it was big.

A month later found me shooting a car commercial for GM’s Opel. The execs working on the film were mortified when they saw me drive up in the Cielo. They tried everything, including offering me sweet deals (buy back and sale of a new Opel) to get me to switch brands. I held fast. I loved my Cielo. Plus the Opel was an additional 3.5 lacs (worth two Maruti 800s) more despite the discount.

Three months later I regretted spurning the Opel boys. (20 years later I think I did the right thing.) First to go was the antenna. Got stuck mid stride. A couple of months later the power window went, first one side then the next. A little later the exhaust went (about a month after the 1 year warranty). And then the power windows and antenna, which were replaced in warranty, went. A couple of month later the AC went. The list became longer till finally the car company went. Leaving me with a car that everyone knew but nobody could service because part weren’t available anymore. I kept the car, it was my decision to buy against all opinion after all, till mid 2004. Then I sold it, added a little money, and bought myself a BMX bike. Cycling was good for the heart, I told those who might have been interested.

Daewoo is a chapter best closed as far as I am concerned. My Cielo was a good car marred by terrible quality standards. Nostalgia is great. But those days pushing the car out of Saki Naka at peak rush hour not so much.
MadinMumbai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 22:48   #102
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot to all for the appreciation. Its an 8 year old thread and yet it feels so yesterday.

Enjoy the good old days when the plant and company was alive and kicking.

Courtesy: www.indiacontent.in and www.timescontent.in

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-1.jpg

Name:  img 2.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  33.1 KB

Name:  img 3.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  img 4.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  img 5.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  img 6.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  41.8 KB

Name:  img 7.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  img 8.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  37.4 KB

Name:  img 9.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  img 10.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  35.8 KB

Name:  img 11.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  img 12.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  img 13.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  39.6 KB

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-14.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-15.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-16.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-17.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-18.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-19.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-20.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-21.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-22.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-23.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-24.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-25.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-26.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-27.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-28.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-29.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-30.jpg
sidindica is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 22:53   #103
Senior - BHPian

Name:  img 1.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  84.0 KB

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-2.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-32.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-33.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-36.jpg

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img-37.jpg

And some more for your viewing pleasure.
sidindica is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 10:04   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadinMumbai View Post
Ah!Nostalgia.

Three months later I regretted spurning the Opel boys. (20 years later I think I did the right thing.) First to go was the antenna. Got stuck mid stride. A couple of months later the power window went, first one side then the next. A little later the exhaust went (about a month after the 1 year warranty). And then the power windows and antenna, which were replaced in warranty, went. A couple of month later the AC went. The list became longer till finally the car company went. Leaving me with a car that everyone knew but nobody could service because part weren’t available anymore.
Nostalgia it is.
But your experience was horrible, can't imagine how it felt in those days, even worse, for a premium car. I have been lucky not to get into any of these issues also my car just had the AC, so probably that helped.

Quote:
I kept the car, it was my decision to buy against all opinion after all, till mid 2004. Then I sold it, added a little money, and bought myself a BMX bike. Cycling was good for the heart, I told those who might have been interested.
but I share the feeling, I have been in a similar situation with a different manufacturer but to very low degree though, but will spare the details since its off topic.

Quote:
Daewoo is a chapter best closed as far as I am concerned. My Cielo was a good car marred by terrible quality standards. Nostalgia is great. But those days pushing the car out of Saki Naka at peak rush hour not so much.
Agree, if the ownership experience is bad that brand has already lost.
Slightly off topic but I have two friends who swore never to buy a Royal Enfield again after being fed up of the A.S.S. and immediately sold their bikes after having to push them through rush hour traffic. I would have done the same.

Quote:
And some more for your viewing pleasure.
Thanks again and kudos to your effort
Old 9th December 2020, 14:02   #105
BHPian

A few old pics of the our car. Excuse the pic quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img_20151210_075614946.jpg  

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img_20151210_075644371.jpg  

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img_20151210_075720494.jpg  

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-img_20151230_152016584.jpg  

shancz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed