Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2020, 22:13   #106
BHPian

Re: Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures

Our 2001 Daewoo Matiz SG still going strong and nearing two lakh kilometres soon.
Had a repaint once 10 years ago with some body rust repairs.
Other than that only Coil is giving us frequent trouble.
No other issues with daily commute of around 5-7 km on an average.
Glad it was saved from the above graveyard and put to thorough use inspite of loss of service network.
We had hoped Chevrolet would rescue us then but such was the destiny that they couldnt even rescue themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-20201210_220418.jpg  

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-20201210_143914.jpg  

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-20201210_143900.jpg  

bhpindian is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 20:51   #107
BHPian

Re: Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures

Guys,
Any idea what Mr. S.G Awasthi is doing these days. Is he still in the auto industry or did he move on to greener pastures?
Aaroah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 00:37   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Spotted this old board:

Attachment 2047155

Made me quite nostalgic.
Yes. Basudeb were the dealers for Daewoo. After the Korean company collapsed, they switched to Tata passenger vehicles. Had their showroom on Ranchi (Main Rd?), next to Capitol hotel?(I forget...). Do they still have that franchise or some other OEM?
arjab is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 01:52   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Yes. Basudeb were the dealers for Daewoo. After the Korean company collapsed, they switched to Tata passenger vehicles. Had their showroom on Ranchi (Main Rd?), next to Capitol hotel?(I forget...). Do they still have that franchise or some other OEM?
They still have Tata dealership, along with Kia Motors dealership(belongs to the same group). I'm not sure if the Main road showroom still exists, but they have opened a new showroom at Bariatu Road.
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 14:40   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpindian View Post
Our 2001 Daewoo Matiz SG still going strong and nearing two lakh kilometres soon.
Had a repaint once 10 years ago with some body rust repairs.
Other than that only Coil is giving us frequent trouble.
No other issues with daily commute of around 5-7 km on an average.
Glad it was saved from the above graveyard and put to thorough use inspite of loss of service network.
We had hoped Chevrolet would rescue us then but such was the destiny that they couldnt even rescue themselves.
Great to know about a Matiz which is surviving with 2lac + kms. on the odo. My dad owned one from 1999-2016. SD is the variant to be precise. The car had clocked 325000 kms. However, lack of availability of genuine parts and a competent mechanic were the reasons why we had to sell her. The car had been scrapped in May, 2021.

Attaching a pic of the car that I clicked on its last day with us.
Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-image0183.jpg
TurboKat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 16:10   #111
Senior - BHPian

Glad to see few Matizes still kicking but Cielos and Nexias are all gone. I don't remember seeing them for years now.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 17:45   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Glad to see few Matizes still kicking but Cielos and Nexias are all gone. I don't remember seeing them for years now.
To be honest, I've never seen a Nexia in my eighteen years of existence. However, there's one Cielo in my city which is in an immaculate condition. God knows from where the septuagenerian owner manages to source parts. I'll definitely upload some pics if I spot the car again.
TurboKat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 15:05   #113

Hi All,

It makes me sad to look at all the images of the abandoned plant.

We had a Cielo Executive during my childhood and that car was the reason I started loving automobiles. I eventually became an Automobile Engineer!

I had gone through this thread multiple times. One day, I decided to travel to Greater Noida to glance at the factory and look into what’s left of it.

To my surprise, the guard told me that the entire factory assets have been sold off in scrap and the complete plant structures have been demolished. This broke my heart. The factory assets including the test cars didn’t deserve to be sold in scrap.

I went on researching and found the guard’s statement to be true as the same was visible on Google Map’s satellite image. (Image below)

Daewoo indeed would have done wonders in India if the parent company hadn’t become bankrupt.

Sharing another image of the abandoned plant’s entry. (It was raining heavily that day).
Attached Thumbnails
Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-edc0412250574f5cbbc2ab57f9dcaff3.jpeg  

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-8c56ea4810cb49e08a932c84157523f7.jpeg  

Attached Images

Daewoo1995 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 17:01   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroah View Post
Guys,
Any idea what Mr. S.G Awasthi is doing these days. Is he still in the auto industry or did he move on to greener pastures?
As per internet records, he last served Bharat Gears as a Non Executive Director before he resigned in 2017.
Daewoo1995 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 00:46   #115

https://m.economictimes.com/industry...w/94392879.cms
Daewoo1995 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 17:51   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewoo1995 View Post
May his soul rest in peace.
Old 27th September 2022, 13:09   #117
BHPian

Fellow BHPian Samit Mukherjee's immaculately maintained 2000 Matiz SS.
Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures-20220313162606.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks