Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2012, 10:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Meru Plus launched : A premium multi-point rental car service

Most of the Meru cabs are logans? Why should I pay more for a travelling in a dzire when the logan is much more spacious and equally if not more comfortable?
I really dont understand the point of launching a premier taxi service and having dzires in the fleet.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:13   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I tried Easycab - no login nonsense
Cabs - much better condition
Always available
I never use EasyCabs because I ve had to face situations when their drivers did not turn up even after getting a confirmed booking from their call center. I dread EasyCabs now.
Old 13th April 2012, 11:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used to be an ardent Meru fan but i stopped, why?

1: Need to log in to book on line
2: When I want an airport drop at 7.15 am, giving 12 hours notice - no cabs available!
3: Cab getting a bit grotty

Always available
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Personally in Bangalore my experience with both Meru and Easy cabs has been pretty good so far, but then my usage is mainly for to/for from the airport which all cab vendors prefer due to long distance and big bill. In terms of car conditions, overall Meru is slightly worse than easy cabs in my opinion but I think its just a matter of time for easy cabs as well, since I believe Meru has been around longer.
You cant think of booking a Meru Cab in case of an emergency i.e at a very short notice . And most of the times , cabs arent available to destinations other than the airport .

If I have to book a Meru Cab in Bangalore/Mumbai , I always plan with some buffer time . Dec 2011, I had to take an autorickshaw at the last minute at 4 am in the morning to the airport as the Meru Cab didnt turn up inspite of a confirmation .

These days , I use the parking at the Bangalore airport for any weekend trips .Or it is Easy Cabs
Old 13th April 2012, 14:03   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Most of the Meru cabs are logans? Why should I pay more for a travelling in a dzire when the logan is much more spacious and equally if not more comfortable?
Asked my sister (as an example of a non-petrol head) what taxi she'd pick from the Dzire & Logan. Pat came the answer = Dzire. Asked Mom. Same answer.

See, the market isn't as informed as we are. To them, the car that looks more contemporary and a Maruti (image of Mahindra isn't exactly associated with comfort) is more comfortable.

If people didn't rent out Dzires, fleets wouldn't buy them in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
you don't have to sit in old abused logans
SO true. Meru's fleet is getting old, abused & creaky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
once every quarter the Meru's are off road for so many reasons.
Good one. Meru definitely has more than its share of labour problems.
Old 13th April 2012, 14:21   #20
BHPian

Meru cabs are in horrible conditions. Last week in Mumbai, I was allocated a old esteem - windsheild of this cab was foggy (because of abuse), the car was not clean and rattled like anything.

Next day, I got a tab cab, the cab was in good condition - may be because the service is new.

Meru should realise that there is competition and get their act together.
Old 13th April 2012, 16:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
See, the market isn't as informed as we are. To them, the car that looks more contemporary and a Maruti (image of Mahindra isn't exactly associated with comfort) is more comfortable.
Tend to disagree with you on the comfort factor being lower on Dzire wrt Logan. Firstly the only significant advantage Logan has over Dzire is in terms of rear width - which doesnt matter unless you need to seat three at the back. Secondly, the Dzire has really soft and comfortable seat squabs ( without the sinking feeling) which are far more comfortable than the Logan's during city commutes ( of course my experience on Logan extends to the Meru's in question again). Kneeroom is also not an issue provided the driver hasnt pushed his seat all the way back. Plus the Dzire doesnt scream cheap interiors the way the Logan or even the Etios does.
To summarize, it meets the following criteria which are essential for a taxi service :
1. High FE
2. Entry level plush
3. Great level of spares and service
4. Great reliability
Old 13th April 2012, 21:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need to log in to book on line
Absolutely!

Or else you pay Rs.50 or so more if you use the call center. Meru must be crazy to think that Customer is at its beck and call. I used to use Meru a lot and am now with easy cabs(whenever am in India).

I can stand anything except smacking arrogance!
Old 14th April 2012, 14:46   #23
BHPian

Meru used to be preferred taxi service in mumbai. but then bad cars, rude drivers and failed appointments got too frequent to tolerate. My experience says if its a long drive with at least 500 as bill you can be sure the driver will turn up. if its a small trip then there is a high chance that it will fail to turn up. Cant blame the drivers myself. As one of them explained they run a parallel business using meru as brand name. And as long as the driver is not a defaulter with MERU's emi there is nothing the company will do. So for me its the end of the fleet taxis. Back to my local taxi stands. Most of them have wagonR / santro's. Not very comfortable but at least assured of a good service.
Old 15th April 2012, 07:27   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
You cant think of booking a Meru Cab in case of an emergency i.e at a very short notice . And most of the times , cabs arent available to destinations other than the airport .
Also, its a risk booking for a Friday evening trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
If I have to book a Meru Cab in Bangalore/Mumbai , I always plan with some buffer time . Dec 2011, I had to take an autorickshaw at the last minute at 4 am in the morning to the airport as the Meru Cab didnt turn up inspite of a confirmation .
Very true..even i faced this issue couple of times, they canceled the booking last minute saying there is a technical issue (a standard reason). I ended up paying the same amount to auto after heated argument. Now I book easy cabs or cel cabs.
Old 15th April 2012, 20:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidmumbai View Post
Meru used to be preferred taxi service in mumbai. but then bad cars, rude drivers and failed appointments got too frequent to tolerate. My experience says if its a long drive with at least 500 as bill you can be sure the driver will turn up. .
I have never faced any problem with the drivers . Infact , i have found Meru drivers to be amongst the most honest and well behaved of drivers .

But yeah , if I have to take a cab ,Meru is the last option for me
Old 15th April 2012, 20:44   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I used to be an ardent Meru fan but i stopped, why?

1: Need to log in to book on line
2: When I want an airport drop at 7.15 am, giving 12 hours notice - no cabs available!
3: Cab getting a bit grotty

Always available
I stopped booking Meru service after the cab i booked (and confirmed by Meru) for a customer site visit failed to turn up and i was informed of that only about 10 mins before the cab was due to arrive.

Never faced this problem with Easycab. Moreover, i found a reliable cab driver near my home who can get me a cab within 30mins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Asked my sister (as an example of a non-petrol head) what taxi she'd pick from the Dzire & Logan. Pat came the answer = Dzire. Asked Mom. Same answer.

Yes, me too got the same answer from few of my colleagues. Asked them why and the answer: Marutis are reliable. No chance of breakdown on way to airport!!

Last edited by Pallavi : 15th April 2012 at 20:48.
Old 15th April 2012, 22:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Aren't we all deviating from the topic? We are discussing Meru premium and not normal Meru. Btw, my nano came from its service and there were a couple of Manza's from Meru Plus cab fleet. So, people are using the service.
Old 15th April 2012, 22:44   #28
BHPian

Amtak ,
Meru premium boils down to meru on a larger picture . There is a lot which has happened with many in regards to meru cabs, once a prefered cab when launched in bangalore to go to new airport , but not every one has the same view now , trying to get the maximum out of a client is not a proven strategy . after 2 failed appointments , i have shifted to KSTDC , good thing is they do not levy late night charge for 6 am trips .
Old 12th June 2012, 18:48   #29
Senior - BHPian

My Experience with Meru Plus

I have used Meru Plus for about 5 times now and I am extremely happy with this Service (save for the money part). It is expensive but at least Handy in certain situations.

I am in Mumbai now as my job takes me here and i hope to get relocated to Chennai within an year or so. It did not make sense for me to bring my TN registered Santro and Re-register it or buy a used MH car. I did not prefer to drive with TN Plates owing to police & RTO checks.

Scenario 1:

I needed to take my wife for a Scan as she is expecting shortly. Doctor Strictly suggests against using Auto-rickshaws. Meru / Tab-Cab / Easy cabs refuses to wait, so I decided to try Meru Plus. Meru Plus waited till the scan was over and dropped us back to house.

Scenario 2:
Wanted to visit the doctor for checkup and ditto as Scenario 1

Scenario 3: (Airport Pickup)
My In-laws were supposed to come and i needed to pick them from Domestic Airport and take them to Malad East. Meru has a token system and need to pay 50/- if hailed from airport. I called Meru Plus and they picked up from Airport.

Airport to Malad by Meru - (12kms X 17 per km) + 50 parking charge = 254/-

Airport to Malad by Meru Plus - (12kms X 21 per km) = 252/-

Cost works out to be the same but at least Meru plus is faster in receving. No need to wait for a cab till our coupon number comes or wait on occassions when there is a cab shortage.

Advantages of Meru Plus (My Experience):

From a lay-man perspective, who does not care between a dzire or logan or accent.
  • No Refusals
  • All confirmed orders
  • Will Wait for us during a round trip (My most impressive factor)
  • Cleaner looking & modern cars
  • Courteous drivers
  • Picks from Airport, so no waiting in Queue for coupon.
Demerits
  • Expensive in the tune of 21 per km (Innovas cost lesser)
  • waiting charge is 150/- per hour (Rs 2.50/- per min)
  • Not practical for say "Lonavala Khandala tour" type of requirement
I would be definetly using Meru Plus whenever the Scenario demands. I am very Happy with the service.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 12th June 2012 at 19:14.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 00:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Meru plus is available only in Mumbai I think. Are the prices still Rs 21per Km? Here in Delhi all cab services including Meru (normal one and not the premium) charge Rs 20 Per Km.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks