Team-BHP - Sour Rivals to choose from!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Sour Rivals to choose from! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/11912-sour-rivals-choose.html)

The Mercedes SLK350 and the Porsche Boxster S are termed as international rivals. Both of them are now available in India. Both of them are very closely priced and both deliver equally good performance figures. So which one would you pick if given the choice?! Give reasons for your choice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mercedes SLK 350
Power: 272 bhp
Engine: 3.5L V6
Vehicle type: front-engine, rear-drive; 2-door 2-passenger roadster

The new Mercedes SLK is a much improved version over its predecessor. Its nose has a F1-inspired look. With the press of a button, its hardtop can be brought into place or put down in the boot. Its faster in operation compared to the older SLK.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Porsche Boxster S
Power: 280 bhp
Engine: 3.2L Flat 6
Vehicle type: mid-engine, rear-drive; 2-door 2-passenger roadster

"Porsche" - the name itself may be enough for customers to pick up those Boxsters. IMO, the old Boxster was a joke with that sad headlamps. These original 911 style headlamps look much better and in place on the new Boxster.

* This is only a comparison between the SLK 350 and the Boxster S
** Technical figures from Top Gear India
*** Pics taken at MotoXtreme, so plates are not blanked out

The Boxster - for that legendary handling. It is meant to be pushed hard and fast.
Cant say the same about the SLK, though the looks are really cool.

Very hard to pick one..but i'll go with the Porsche Boxter S. Its a sports, aggressive and more of a drivers car than the Merc. Porsche are meant to be fast and mean, while the Mercs are fast, but not all that aggressive.

which one gives better FE? lol:

Jokes apart, but since porsche is considered a pure driving pleasure, i'd pick that.... of course then i will wake up and drive home in my rickety old zen.

Cheers
Amitoj

Has to be the porsche for me.
OT-Think its too late now but shouldnt you BLOCK OUT the car number plates??

I voted for Porsche,as theres no option for both. Though, its very confusing to choose between them, i would leave it for a last second decision on choosing any one among them (in my dreams).

Quote:

* This is only a comparison between the SLK 350 and the Boxter S
Out of the two I would choose SLK.
Reasons

Although Porsche has better handling there are no roads to make use of such brilliant handling. Instead with SLK I will atleast get three pointed star.

I personally dislike Boxter rear design.

It's the Porsche for me too. I never liked the previous Boxter but I love the new one. Looks very similar to the 911. It a great handler and definately will be more reliable than the Mercedes.

The Porsche it is

Everyone knows that the Boxster is a poor man's 911. However, the SLK can be seen as a poor man's SL. Relying solely on brand name, build quality, ride comfort and driving pleasure, it would have to be the Boxster S.

Easy one. The Porsche anyday....The name "Porsche" is enough for me to differentiate.

Has to be the porsche. Amazing handling and that typical porsche lights are a total turn on for me.

Though given any i would take it as the merc is not far behind love the F1 type nose.

Mercedes SLK 350.
cos i just love mercs.

If i have to buy a porsche, it wud be a cayenne.

It'd be the SLK for me. Looks soooooo much better and not down on the power either. The only Porsches i'd even consider are the Carrera GT and the new 911.

Boxster for the true enthuiasts. SLK for the posers.

Merc for me. I think this merc costs 60 Lac. and i have seen a Silver Colour here in chandigarh. :p