Team-BHP - Refreshed 1st-gen Indica with 90 badge
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Refreshed 1st-gen Indica with 90 badge (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/119229-refreshed-1st-gen-indica-90-badge.html)

Facelifted Tata Indica test mule caught with mysterious 90 badging, in an ICB exclusive | IndianCarsBikes.in

An Indica test mule has been spied with a refreshed front end and a Indica90 badge at the rear. The photographer claims it was diesel model on test.

The front looks similar to the current Indigo CS range(with those amber indicator integrated double barrel headlamp) and matt-silver grille. The front bumper has also been lifted from the CS.

First things first, can it be true that Tata is plonking the Fiat multijet with VGT in 90BHP avatar in the Indica? Seems unbelievable to me. Even if its true then why the 90 bhp VGT and why not the 75bhp FGT?

Can it be that the photographer was mistaken and it is a 90 bhp petrol? Even the large petrol doesnot make sense in the current scenario.

Secondly,which is also important, how long will Tata drag this dated model with permutation and combinations of parts from its equally old models?

Recently there was a news that Tata will phase out Sumo and Indica models. But as per the recent news Tata will continue with current Indica since its still popular with cabbies. Again the same question,why the 90bhp when the cabbies still prefer the 54bhp IDI engine,not even the CR4 or the turbo range?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 2747951)
Can it be that the photographer was mistaken and it is a 90 bhp petrol? Even the large petrol doesnot make sense in the current scenario.

Again the same question,why the 90bhp when the cabbies still prefer the 54bhp IDI engine,not even the CR4 or the turbo range?

I would suspect that it is an uprated CR4 engine to get guinea pigs feedback before they launch the Indica XL.

Long back ACI reported in its scoop for the Indigo XL that the then 1.4 DiCOR could be tuned upto 90-100 BHP. However at that point of time the gearbox was the main reason why they restricted it to 70 horses.

The 54 bhp IDI cannot be sold in BS4 markets and the Multijet would be too expensive considering that it is built by Fiat Powertrain.

As an owner of a NA Indica, if they can improve the ergonomics a little bit and work on the suspension bits - it still comes with hydraulic shockers, even the 70 BHP version would be a very good car.

My 2 cents.

I wonder whether it will be thoroughbreds or ponies! Just joking. The TATA/FIAT/Maruti Multijet has a 90 bhp variant (I think a VGT instead of a Fixed Geometry Turbo). It does service in the one of the FIATs (Linea?). So good that Tata are catching on.I hope the suspension and (more import) brakes are upgraded.

Too Good to Be true IMO . On one hand, they are trying hard to differentiate the current VISTA from earlier Indica;s and now this scoop will take away all the good so far wrt to differentiation. Strangely enough scoop master has choose to Hide the surrounding and number plates for some strange reasons . Some thing is fishy

Tata has an indigenous engine development department. I don't think they will plonk the 90hp MJD in their highest selling car, the Indica. I feel the Indica body is just being used as a surrogate mother for the BS5 version of the CR4.

I spotted a Tata test mule in Khambatki ghat on Friday morning. The rear was camouflaged, but there was nothing at all on the front half.
Surprisingly it had stopped at the small temple near the top of the ghat, but I could not stop due to traffic. I definitely saw the Tata badge in the rear view mirror. And from the size of the car, it seemed more like a Vista than a Manza. I wonder if it could be the Manza CS though?

I hope TATA does something to mask the size of the car. Indicas have traditionally been very roomy on the inside (except for the average boot space), and this size does show on the outside especially when viewed from the rear. Add the puny stock tyres to the equation and the Vista looks a bit odd. I hope TATA does something in this area.

There is no way on the planet that Tata would launch the ageing ol' Indica with the Manza's version of the Fiat MJD. For one, it would sprint quicker than the Vista, and that wouldn't do anything for the Vista's positioning. Second, NO ONE wants a more powerful 1st gen Indica. The car is meant to be a cheap workhorse, that's it.

I don't believe this scoop at all. Even if the photographer actually saw a 90 sticker, you can bring it down to a Tata R&D engineer with a fabulous sense of humour.

EDIT : Best case scenario, it could be a mule to test out certain components. But no ways is this car going to reach the local showroom.

I don't if it has a 90bhp engine. But the indica with the new front end is definitely being tested.spot it everyday along with the XL and the nano Test vehicles.

(Off topic - Nowadays The TATA test fleet is also followed by two white FIAT lineas and Puntos.They keep their distance and park away from the TATA fleet. they are also devoid of any badging )

If tata is going to make this car, I'm going to be the #1 customer for it :D
or even a 90 ps vista
Tata Please!

I doubt it's the diesel variant any how! If TATA launches the 90 bhp MJD, than I am sure it will be in the Vista first and then to the older platform [shown in the pic]. Again I don't find this happening as

1. I believe the sales of Vista is quite decent [and improving as well] & they many not want to introduce an additional variant to boost sales.

2. Price factor; they will NOT be able to price Vista VFM compared to the competition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 2748465)
or even a 90 ps vista...Tata Please!

Well, the soot in the tail-pipe says it IS a diesel! :)

I can make multiple inferences, but can't believe that they are testing the old Indica with VGT version of MJD.

- They might have put the engine in a wrong car and testing it. Like Tata did the blunder in their 2010-11 Annual Report :D.

- Why should we always infer the figure 90 with the BHP? They may be calling this as the Indica of the Nineties.

- This may not be a test car at all. Some customer inspired from the QJD 90 might have used the 90 Badge in his car.

Most probably, I think my last guess should be the case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rameshnanda (Post 2748636)
- This may not be a test car at all. Some customer inspired from the QJD 90 might have used the 90 Badge in his car.

Most probably, I think my last guess should be the case.

That maynot be the case as the front end is different. By different I mean it sports the front end of Indigo CS.

Tata might be testing the engine in the Indica shell, or something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 2748465)
or even a 90 ps vista
Tata Please!

AFAIK,there is a 90ps Vista,though in the petrol avatar. You can get yourself one of this.:D

Oh my GOD! I just remembered this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1582042
GARRETT turbos for Tata passenger cars and vans - Applications - TurboMaster

the topic of a 90Bhp Indica/Indigo dicor had come up in the past, and we had dismissed it then, even though there were a few clues which pointed to its existence. It makes sense now. We had always whined about how little the dicor makes compared to its IDI TC sibling (just 2 bhp?) and how it had potential for more. Given that it was probably not the most reliable tata engine (especially with such talented competition such as the xeta engines), tata might have originally played it safe. Now that they have supposedly ironed out all the issues and the CR4 is more or less a beta version (i'd consider the dicor a strictly alpha version) it makes sense to push the engine a bit more and coax 90 bhp out of it.

At least that's my theory. Any takers?