Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2012, 17:08   #1
BHPian

Registration Number fraud! Someone else using my number plate

Hi,

A bizzare thing has happened. In a week I have had two people coming over to my place complaining that they have been duped a person who has been driving a Maruti eeco (I have an I10). Apparently this guy is driving around using my number plate. I was out of town on vacation and will be returning back this week end. These guys came hunting for the car to my residence after checking my address from RTO.

While I will lodge a police complaint can RTO give my address to anyone who approaches them?

Has anyone come across such instance? Am pretty concerned considering the crimes which could be committed and consequences which I may have to face.

One of the persons duped happens to be a garage owner where this guy serviced the car and vanished promising to get money.

The other happens to be a guy in Baner village whose relatives took a lift in this car and then this guy vanished with their bags etc

These people happened to meet my neighbour (coincidence that both times he was around) and I haven't met them. They have not claimed any compensation or created a scene but they will be registering a complaint themselves is what they informed my neighbour.

Will revert with details when I get them.

Last edited by GTO : 18th April 2012 at 16:31. Reason: Merging both your posts.
Old 17th April 2012, 17:37   #2
BHPian

In Pune I have seen pictures of vehicles with same numbers. The report mentioned one of the vehicle was stolen.
Probably the guy stole the Maruti and made forgedpapers using your number and then duping others. Advice you to consult a lawyer

Last edited by GTO : 18th April 2012 at 16:29. Reason: STRICTLY no SMS language please. Correcting post
Old 17th April 2012, 17:37   #3
BHPian

Re: Number Plate copied

That is Bizarre. As far as my knowledge goes one has to lodge a FIR in such matters in order to get the address of a person.

Why are you concerned even if somebody is using your number and committing crimes? they already know that the other vehicle is an eco and yours is a i10 right.

Please log a FIR . Keep us updated on the progress.
Old 17th April 2012, 17:37   #4
BHPian

Eeco driver might be using some twisted/Fancy fonts which might resembles as your number plate, check this option also. Incident of copied number plate reported previously also. You should quickly contact police with your papers. I doubt RTO should be giving address of yours without any police complaint. Yes your name can be obtained by text service which RTO had launched. No idea if that still works. I checked sometime back when it was launched and they were providing name of the owner only.
Old 17th April 2012, 17:40   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
...A bizzare thing has happened. In a week I have had two people coming over to my place complaining that they have been duped a person who has been driving a Maruti eeco (I have an I10).
This is shocking!

1. Did they give details as to how were they duped?
2. Also did these guys had any kind of case in the same place or vicinity?

And above all,

3. Were these 2 guys genuine & credible?

Quote:
While I will lodge a police complaint..
ASAP!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 17:42   #6
BHPian

This is very serious. Could you give more details????

I don't think RTO can give out addresses. Generally you are supposed to lodge a complaint with them. But you can always get details by bribing someone there.
Old 17th April 2012, 17:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
My thought is that your number was randomly picked just like mobile numbers have been picked in movies and the actual owner gets into trouble.
Now that people have started coming to your home, you should find out what the problem was, and report to the police station. It may be advisable to have contact details of these "victims".
Getting info on a car is not difficult, you can submit queries to RTO with a nominal payment, say Rs 20/- or so, I forget which, and get details of owner, insurance etc.
Finaly, do speak to a lawyer.

Cheers
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 18:27   #8
BHPian

That is scary. Ofcourse when both these people see you, they will realize that it was not you who was duping them.

You can start with verifying what the records in the RTO say. Use the RTO links below to see what the registration records are as per them. They worked for my Pune and Delhi registered cars.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-all-rtos.html
Old 17th April 2012, 18:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:

These people happened to meet my neighbour (coincidence that both times he was around) and I haven't met them.

This doesnt looks like a coincidence to me . May be this is a well organised group who may have a motive.

By the way who is this neighbour ? May be you can get a clue from him .
I will suggest to log a FIR as soon as possible before a third person comes in with a new story.
Old 17th April 2012, 18:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nothing to be worried about since you have all the proper documents.
I have read about similar instances in Bangalore also.

It is best that you register a police complaint as well as with the RTO.

The supposed victims cannot do anything as they were not duped by you.
Old 17th April 2012, 19:26   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...These people happened to meet my neighbour (coincidence that both times he was around) and I haven't met them. They have not claimed any compensation or created a scene but they will be registering a complaint themselves is what they informed my neighbour.

Will revert with details when I get them.
Strange coincidence I have to say! I suggest you don't meet up / contact the victims directly or through your neighbour. Please log a complaint and make sure all proceedings are done through cops. It pays to take some extra care in such things.

Edit:: Am not sure how the people who took a lift managed to note down the number unless he raced away in front of them in an obvious get away mode?

Last edited by GTO : 18th April 2012 at 16:32. Reason: STRICTLY no SMS language please. Correcting
Old 17th April 2012, 19:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed scary. You must register a formal police complaint without wasting a second.

Imagine the outcome if these people copy number plate of same model/color. How difficult it will be to prove that it was not your car.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 19:37   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methilsunkara View Post
This is very serious. Could you give more details????

I don't think RTO can give out addresses. Generally you are supposed to lodge a complaint with them. But you can always get details by bribing someone there.
Yes boss, you're right. RTO do not give out addresses to anyone. Unless & until they have inside contacts, they couldn't have got it. They may want to harass him, check that option. Its quite a strange co-incidence that your neighbour was around both times.
Old 17th April 2012, 21:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

I came across a similar case where in some people had filed a police case against a person in a hit and run case. They had noted down the number of the car and informed police. The police came knocking on his doors. Incidentally this guy was out of town for one month and had papers to prove the same. Moreover his car was parked day in and day out in his apartment complex, proof of which also he had with him. It seemed at that time a case of mistake in noting down the number.
Now after reading this account I feel something else may be at play then.

Best option in this scenario, get in touch with a Lawyer and file a Police complaint.
Old 18th April 2012, 00:34   #15
BHPian

i don't think you can register FIR on this unless a victim comes along with you. neither you nor your vehicle is involved in incident so it means you become 3rd party in case and cannot be a direct party to it unless someone involves you. but you should meet the lawyer and local police and take advise on what to do.

On the side note this seems to be a organised racket to dupe you into getting out some money. Why would a person never approach police and try to find vehicle himself when he has registration number with himself??? I seriously doubt the credibility of the victims. you will be surprised on how people devise ways to dupe others, best way talk is to talk to lawyer and your local police officer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks