Team-BHP - *Rumour* : Maruti 800 production to end in April 2012
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   *Rumour* : Maruti 800 production to end in April 2012 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/119325-rumour-maruti-800-production-end-april-2012-a.html)

*Rumour* : Maruti 800 production to end in April 2012-maruti-800.jpg

DNA India quotes Mr. I V Rao, Managing Executive Officer (engineering), Maruti Suzuki stating : “We are stopping production of this model from this April-end".

For a car that put modern India on wheels, and made Maruti Suzuki the No.1 Indian manufacturer within months of launch, it has been one heck of a journey. The Indian market has lapped up 25+ lakh copies of the Maruti 800 till date. Most of us learned how to drive on an 800, and it's certain that each enthusiast has driven the car at some point of time. The Maruti 800 brought previously unseen contemporariness, reliability, ease-of-driving & fuel efficiency to our market. Unlike the HM Ambassador & Premier Padmini, the Maruti 800 didn't overheat, nor did its radiator require a daily top up of water :). No surprise that the waiting period for this li'l car ran for 5 years in the eighties, and is perhaps a rare car whose premium (for instant delivery) was more than the ex-showroom cost itself.

As our market matured, it was obvious that the ageing 800 could not hold on to its mantle of a best seller. Maruti didn't even bother to upgrade the 800 to BSIV emission norms, thus removing it from sale in the 13 major cities. In recent months, the Maruti 800 managed a mere 2,000 odd sales each month.

Maruti smartly repositioned the Alto to take over from the 800. After 2 decades of reigning over the market, in May 2004, the 800 ceded the title of a best-seller to the Maruti Alto.

Truly, the end of an icon. Take a spin down your favourite ghat section in a 5-speed Maruti 800 MPFI. A wide smile is guaranteed :D

Related Threads:

800 replacement by December 2012

Maruti 800 Nostalgia

Alto overtakes 800

Recommended Book

The Maruti Story - RC Bhargava

As you rightly said, most of us learned to drive in the humble M800. I hear SUV owners boast of their vehicle's go anywhere attitude but this was really the car with a go-anywhere attitude.

However, considering the feature loaded cars being offered in the market today, not to mention the comfort, safety, handling standards, this one had to make way.

This is an iconic car. We bought this car in '98 and had it till '11 end. Even then it was fit and fine with minimum basic maintenance. I learnt driving in that car. The car had its fair share of abuse(from me),bad roads, no roads and off roads(not extreme stuff but it was a lot for a 800cc car) and still it soldiered on without any complaints.

It has never stranded us during its 80k kms it travelled with us. It was very peppy yet frugal in the city. On the highways it happily cruised at 80-90kmph but was capable enough to go to 120kmph at times needed.

The only grouse we had with it was- it was cramped(I am 6ft tall,dad is 5ft 9'') and its brakes were inadequete. Still I wanted to hold on to it for my use,yet mom and dad decided to let it go.
I still feel nostalgic about our old blue beauty. Adios 800.....

True! 800 was the first car I drove and I still miss it so much after selling it. The replacement for which was a Wagon R and it never struck a chord with me inspite of the bigger & more powerful engine & features like the power steering! I was not earning when my dad sold the car; would have definitely bought it from him otherwise.

It's a very very practical car and we never had even a hint of bad time with the car and it never let us down in the four years of ownership.

I wish Maruti does a limited edition 5 speed 800 to bid farewell to the car that anchored their brand in India

I guess its not a end !!! The model is being phased out and will be replaced by new model soon. So M800 will remain in the country & we will soon see new Avtaar running on the Indian roads.

Anyways, M800 is still gem of a car at that price. Its basic but does all the job it needs to do. It is still one of the best cars to use in bumper to bumper city traffic & in small cities where roads are really narrow. It was one of the most reliable cars due to its basic design. It will never fail in between. Maintaining it is like maintaining a 150 cc bike. We have used 3 M800 till date. I would still love to buy one in new Avtaar. Hope Maruti will do it nicely with some more space & easy ingress & out-gress. Maruti needs to design it taller. Lets hope for the best :)

GTO, you have brought out all the nostalgia.

Man!, I drove this car for four-and-a-half years. Nothing like it.clap:

While it makes me really sad to know that it is going to come to an end for this "small wonder", I am all excited about the replacement (new 800)!:)

2000 odd units a month in the last year or so, might not be a big number; but left to fend for itself, I believe it has done quite well to continue selling like that.

29 years... that's a long long time and I am sure it has had a hell of a time!!! In Steve Austin's language, "I give it a hell yeah!"

And for once, I dare say "bow down Sachin, bow down Rajni"!

Thanks,
C_

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2749939)

Truly, the end of an icon. Take a spin down your favourite ghat section in a 5-speed Maruti 800 MPFI. A wide smile is guaranteed :D

My dad gifted me the car after I passed 10th.

It was my daily ride to high school (driven by driver) and collage (driven by me) and what wonderful memories I had with this baby. Whenever I meet with my old friends the common question is “how is your silver M800?”

Mom still now makes sure that the car is washed regularly and maintained in good condition as she knows whenever I go to Kolkata the first thing I would do is take out my car and go for a ride.
Farewell M800, you will be truly missed by our future generations. :thumbs up

Quote:

Take a spin down your favourite ghat section in a 5-speed Maruti 800 MPFI. A wide smile is guaranteed :D

GTO, You have put in words our feelings of the iconic brand:thumbs up. I agree 100% with you that at some point in time BHPian must have rode the 800. I have for sure learnt my driving on the 800 and fondly remembers the victories and the minor mishaps. Surely the car instilled the driving confidence in me. I am smiling as I am writing this post.

Hats off to MS for having the first truly "best seller" of all cars. I remember the ad where the cute Punjabi boy says "kya karoon petrol khatam hi nahin hota"clap:

All good things come to an end.

M800 was our first car in family, bought in 1999 (as a 1yr old used car). And it is still serving as secondary car, no intention to sell in near future. Where will you get such a trouble free car in this price range.

Though in current marketplace it is a humble entry car, but in its heydays driving a M800 was a status symbol.

The M800 for a petrol-head was like the "Sati Savitri" of Bollywood movies.

-It always remained by your side no matter what
-Always taken for granted but still unwavering in its loyalty
and
-Every house had one(almost) lol:

Rest in Peace , you will be terrribly missed dear friend :thumbs up

Well it had to happen I guess. The icon walks off in the sunset.
Wish that Maruti had kept limited edition, an expensive loaded version of it still in production. Something on the lines of a Mini.

Even I had my time with the 800, the old SS80 and also the newer models. My wife's uncle still has an 800 which is now 13 years old and with his style of driving, it still runs sprightly and that's a testimony of it's longevity.

Like others have mentioned, every product has an end of life. But I feel good that Maruti has decided to stop production of this model. Our market is no more the same as the time when the 800 was introduced. And the country deserves safer cars, which unfortunately, the 800 is not much (no offense, but it's a 30 year old platform). So, it's time to move on, but 800, you will be remembered as the car which changed an average Indian's outlook of a car! :thumbs up

This is the car that changed the Indian perception on what a car should be. On one hand we had the Ambassadors, Premier Padminis, 118NE's, Contessa's etc. which were built like tanks, and weighed like tanks. Then came along a car which was a "plasticky match box which would crumple" and "was totally unsafe compared to the tanks". A few years later, the detractors weren't laughing anymore.

We own a 2000 Maruti 800 STD MPFI 4 speed. Prior to this, we owned an 86 Maruti 800 STD carb. Even though we'll be buying a bigger better comfier hatch soon, there's no was we're letting go of the one we have.

Hats off to the car that changed it all.

^^ True.. it had to happen sometime.

Truly a icon of the Indian Automotive Scene. This is the one car that put India on wheels, and truly was the Mini Benz, of most of the car enthusiasts back then..

Even now, the direct steering, and the nifty handling will put many hatches to shame.

"800 - You will be fondly remembered"

Quote:

Most of us learned how to drive on an 800, and it's certain that each enthusiast has driven the car at some point of time. The Maruti 800 brought previously unseen contemporariness, reliability, ease-of-driving & fuel efficiency to our market. Unlike the HM Ambassador & Premier Padmini, the Maruti 800 didn't overheat, nor did its radiator require a daily top up of water :).

Oh, my eyes went moist. Well said GTO, you digged out those nostalgic feelings I had for the car. My whole family learnt driving in this iconic car. It so changed every Indian's perception of car. Nothing like 800! :)