Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2006, 17:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

The aim is to get ur car run smoothly and as long as possible without paying too much money. So gettin say 10litres of fuel from Reliance, they will give you a litre of fuel extra for FREE, according to what u said. Now why would i not like that...

Pay less = Get more

Oh by the way, most pumps actually give u less fuel than what u pay for, so they are the REAL frauds.
Old 4th April 2006, 17:28   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Zappo I seriously doubt if Reliance is transporting fuel all the way from Jamnagar to Kolkata, Jammu and Trivandrum to its own outlets.
Well, I do not know about that directly but I have a few pointers to go by. First, I saw those huge oil-carrier trains/rakes with Reliance Petroleum emblazoned on them somewhere near asansol (East). Why would those rakes be there in the first place unless they were transporting fuel from Reliance's refinery? Reliance does not buy any crude from within India (leave aside Asansol) to say that they were there to carry crude back to Jamnagar. I think.

Second, do you think they will sell refined oil to the state owned refineries and then buy them back at market rates (based on the $3 per barrel margin) for retailing when they themselves produce it at 1/3 the rate?!! I think it will rather make more logistical sense for them to transport from their refineries. Also, I suspect that with the size of their refinery and the cost of production it works for them to have a hub and spoke model in distribution rather than have refineries everywhere or procure it from the state owned cos. which will require huge manpower and supporting infrastructure. Its just like the same way they handle their retail sales through a central system rather than having to account for each pump separately. Running a tight ship probably works out easier that ways.

Last edited by Zappo : 4th April 2006 at 17:29.
Old 4th April 2006, 17:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

So they give extra FE due to more fuel. Well the matter of fact being Reliance Fuel makes the engine knocks as its not pure.
Old 4th April 2006, 18:14   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
So they give extra FE due to more fuel. Well the matter of fact being Reliance Fuel makes the engine knocks as its not pure.
Huh! where did you get that one now?! I felt that their quality of fuel is far better and in fact standardized all over. This can not be said about the state owned pumps. I took the family Indica to some remote parts of Bengal last year. We were not at all interested in taking fuel from anywhere but XtraMile diesel from the trusted IndianOil pump. However the situation became such that ultimately we were forced to. Luckily we spotted a small Reliance pump on a remote road and stopped (it was really really small one by any standards). We were very skeptical about the quality at such a place. And yet as it turned out the car ran its best and cleanest (not to mention, a little more) on the Reliance fuel. After that we filled up at Reliance pumps in similar remote places. Every time the fuel quality was simply superb.
Old 4th April 2006, 18:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

That must for private owned ones but the company owned one in New Mumbai is not as good as Speed or Power or rather its no where near. The engine Knocks and Reliance Employees have also admitted that there is Jhol in their fuel. They themselves dont fill there.
Old 4th April 2006, 18:24   #21
BHPian

Hi All,
Reliance is actually selling Fuel acquired from State owned company. Reliance had started up a petrol pump in Meghlaya Assam border recently (Burnihat). Its a tie up between Reliance and Assam OIL.
The fuel is acquired from Numaligarh refinery (Assam oil.)
So far, we did not find any difference in FE. But after reading this thread, i really have to measure the quantity.
Old 4th April 2006, 18:56   #22
BHPian

Any bunks in Mumbai?
Old 4th April 2006, 19:44   #23
BHPian

I have doen nearly 45K kms, in my indica ,,, and 90% its RIL fuels, ,,i cant think to put any other fuel rather then RIL,,,they are the best...
Old 5th April 2006, 17:58   #24

Hi friends. This whole matter of Reliance fule being good or bad is making me smile.
1st of all let me tell my background - Im working in the Refinery at Jamnagar in maintenance since last 8 yrs.
This co has become so big that its not possible for doing such things as giveing more or less fuel in a planned way. Everything is automated & metered & monitored etc etc.
Funnily enough our own employees say our fuel gives less average & more engine trouble than say ESSAR fuel!
Old 5th April 2006, 21:20   #25
BHPian

@nsbhat: glad to hear you. Now we can get all our doubts clarified.

- Haque.
Old 6th April 2006, 05:55   #26
BANNED

Off Topic : What is the octane rating of petrol available from Reliance pumps ? Is it normal 87 octane ?

I've known that Reliance don't have any premium fuels ?
Old 6th April 2006, 10:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhat
1st of all let me tell my background - Im working in the Refinery at Jamnagar in maintenance since last 8 yrs.
So would you be so good as to clarify our doubt as to whether or not Reliance actually ships fuel from Jamnagar to its pumps across the country? I'm quite intrigued.

Quote:
Funnily enough our own employees say our fuel gives less average & more engine trouble than say ESSAR fuel!
That is a very well known trait in India - people dont trust the company they work for. Anywhere else you'd take pride in using the products from the Co. that you work for - its quite the opposite in India. Ask the Essar guys - they might tell you we use Reliance fuel.
Old 7th April 2006, 16:56   #28

Clarifying the doubts

Quote:
So would you be so good as to clarify our doubt as to whether or not Reliance actually ships fuel from Jamnagar to its pumps across the country? I'm quite intrigued.
Friends...
All fuel sold in our retail outlets is produced in Jamnagar refinery.
We have setup depots & terminals across the country to supply to the outlets

Quote:
That is a very well known trait in India - people dont trust the company they work for. Anywhere else you'd take pride in using the products from the Co. that you work for - its quite the opposite in India. Ask the Essar guys - they might tell you we use Reliance fuel.
Well let me share my experience at least. I have been using Reliance fuel since 1999 even before we started retailing. Initial 4 years in a Santro & last 3 years in Ikon petrol. Absolutely no issues so far. I even tried ESSAR fuel for a few months to see if what my colleagues were saying was true. FE was slightly less but not significantly so.

Of course nowadays with so many of our own retail outlets sprouting up, I fill up over there only when away from home. The place is clean & nicely maintained, the A-1 plazas wherever present serve good food & the fuel is of assured quality.

Maybe Mithun-da needs to check the measuring vessels calibration!

If still not convinced, what can I say. Stop visiting Reliance outlets when they finally start giving the exact amount & not 10% more!
Old 7th April 2006, 18:53   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Friends...
Ok Steer... there you are It clarifies the issue now. So obviously the hub and spoke model makes sense for Reliance, just as I suspected.
Old 14th April 2006, 20:32   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Friends...
Nsbhat r u sure about that coz one of Friend happened to acquire Franchissee of Reliance Petrol Pump in Meghalaya. According to him the fuel acquired from Assam oil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks