Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2012, 12:50   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Much water has passed below the bridge, but here are my two cents anyway.
I consider myself a more informed buyer than the average Joe. I love driving and appreciate a good car. But when time came to buy a car with my own hard earned money, Fiat did not even register on my radar. Okay, there was possibly a brief flicker, but nothing more. What was it that was holding me back ?

Imagine you are out there, with a wad of cash waiting to buy something. There are two people who can give you what you want for exactly the same amount of money. One of them is conservatively dressed in a dark suit , and then there is the other person, shirtless and in shorts , red hair and tattoos all over him who at times breaks into a juggle with wads of cash. Both give you roughly similar things , but you know whom you will go to. The latter is the perception of Fiat in the minds of the general buying public.

Its easy for me to say they should change this perception blah blah blah...but I dont know if it is even possible at this stage. However, I wish them luck.
Old 5th May 2012, 13:24   #152
BHPian

Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Much water has passed below the bridge, but here are my two cents anyway.
I consider myself a more informed buyer than the average Joe. I love driving and appreciate a good car. But when time came to buy a car with my own hard earned money, Fiat did not even register on my radar. Okay, there was possibly a brief flicker, but nothing more. What was it that was holding me back ?

Imagine you are out there, with a wad of cash waiting to buy something. There are two people who can give you what you want for exactly the same amount of money. One of them is conservatively dressed in a dark suit , and then there is the other person, shirtless and in shorts , red hair and tattoos all over him who at times breaks into a juggle with wads of cash. Both give you roughly similar things , but you know whom you will go to. The latter is the perception of Fiat in the minds of the general buying public.

Its easy for me to say they should change this perception blah blah blah...but I dont know if it is even possible at this stage. However, I wish them luck.
Thats exactly the difference between Learned Crowd and Herd Crowd .

For eg. The Learned Suzuki Management goes to the Bare Tattoe bodied FIAT in Red Shorts instead of the VW Men in Black Suit to buy the Superior Technology with the same WAD of money .
FastLove is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 14:02   #153
Senior - BHPian

If FIAT really wants to make it big here in INDIA,the idea suggested few posts back about the factory owned showrooms and service centers is the way to go. At least they should start this in the metros.

More aggressive measures would be to stop supplying engines to Maruti Suzuki after the 3 yr contract is over.

Bring the 1.6 MJD and plonk it in the Linea along with the 16" wheels from the Tjet variant.

Bring the FIAT Sedicci, it is only common sense that it will be competing with ecosport and the duster which seems to be hottest segment.

Sales will fly and the same time please spend some money on advertising FIAT.

I own a swift, I did consider the PUNTO during my purchase process. Things that I wasnt comfortable with when i visited the tata showroom.

1. There was no sales man standing next to the PUNTO.
2. I wasnt interested in mingling with indicab folks when I had to give my car to service.
3. Fit n Finish issues reported on the forum, which I believe are being addressed.

What FIAT needs to understand is that car is significant investment in a average indian family and most of them can afford to maintain a single car at a time.
So they need trust, its all a matter of hassle free ownership.
Old 5th May 2012, 14:28   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post

Heard of the Subaru Impreza WRX Colin Mcrae Edition or the Mitsubishi Evo Tommy Makinnen Edition? These are extremely high performance cars and have been endorsed by rally drivers to further enhance their appeal.

There have been quite a few enthusiasts I know that have passed on the yellow S10 and bought the regular 1.6 because this endorsement actually had negative appeal to them.
So are you comparing the S10 to Impreza WRX CME or Evo Sp Ed.?

I still feel if a car is good enough it will sell itself provided there is a market for it. Evidently there was no market in India for S10 thats why it failed. Tendulkar's sign has no role in it. Even if Michael Schumaker himself came down to hand over keys to you personally still not many would have bought it. Its peoples hard earned money we are talking it, that too lakhs of it. You dont buy a car because XYZ is endorsing it. Thats banal thinking. You buy what you want to buy and can afford to buy. Those who wanted the S10 badly enough anyway bought it. Sadly the problem was, at least at that time, there werent too many like that in India!
Old 5th May 2012, 14:47   #155

I think its a good move coz poor sales partly to be blaimed to the dealers as well coz I remember not long time back I visited a Tata - Fiat dealer inquiring about the Punto but the sales guys were hell bent in selling the Indica rather than Punto.
Old 5th May 2012, 15:40   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Showing your commitment to India is by improving your service to customers in India, gaining their confidence, and demonstrating that you have cars that are right for the Indian customer and not by getting a cricketer to sign your cars and then avoiding the rest.

There have been quite a few enthusiasts I know that have passed on the yellow S10 and bought the regular 1.6 because this endorsement actually had negative appeal to them.

The source is Autocar India magazine - have read this editorial myself - don't think the editorials are available online.
You had advocated the signature of Michael Schumacher instead of Sachin. I have given my point about that.

Also, every company tries all the measures you have listed and fiat is no exception. This is add on measure which they had experimented.

Editorial coming in the magazine doesnt mean that Fiat took the decision based upon that editorial. Editorial could be the outcome of this discussion doing the rounds already in the company.
Old 5th May 2012, 16:09   #157
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 6th May 2012 at 01:54.
satnam141 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th May 2012, 17:56   #158

I too am one of the satisfied Fiat car owners from a service perspective. Both for my sold Adventure and current TJet. It'll be interesting to watch what happens to the likes of us in the next few months.
Old 5th May 2012, 20:33   #159
Senior - BHPian

I own a Fiat car (Palio) for the past 8 years, and have serviced with both Fiat's own SCs (initial 2 years) and later Tata Fiat SCs.
In my experience, Fiat SCs did a good job, they were competent & knowlegeable, spares was readily available, was confident of giving my car to them for service.
It was not the same with Tata Fiat SCs, they struggled to fix issues, were mediocre in basic jobs, spares not readily available etc.
Hence, I preferred an independent garage having Fiat experienced technicians rather than going to Tata-Fiat SCs.
This is a bold move by Fiat, only way to grow in the highly competitive market, they need to pump in money in marketing the brand & raising the brand awareness.
Heard Fiat Caffe in metros had good response, if they can offer good sales & service experience to customers apart from the great cars they make, people will definitely have confidence to buy their cars.
finneyp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 21:38   #160
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
So people would have bought Fiat just because of that Michael Schumacher name!!!
Quote:
Looks like Hyundai sells its i10 because of Shahrukh Khan only.
Quote:
All matters is, Shah Rukh Khan.
Quote:
So all you wanted was a Michael Schumacher's signature and not a car
Quote:
So are you comparing the S10 to Impreza WRX CME or Evo Sp Ed.?
Given that you are prone to applying the same reasoning in all the above cases, a response doesn't appear necessary.

Quote:
You dont buy a car because XYZ is endorsing it.
Quote:
Those who wanted the S10 badly enough anyway bought it.
You are contradicting yourself here, so please read the posts again. And comprehend.
Old 5th May 2012, 23:11   #161
BHPian

Some inside info on FIAT India i would like to share on this thread.

1. FIAT chose to opt out of the Agreement with TATA (as it came up for renewal this year).

2. A new APAC Team has been formed to concentrate only on India and China.

3. Chrysler has seen a turnaround in US by registering a 20% YoY growth. After U.S. the focus of FIAT-Chrysler is on India on a similar war footing.

4. There is a comprehensive Product Plan being made specifically for India for the next 10 years.

5. The dealer network plan is in full swing and lot of New Dealers are already in the line to open up shortly . All existing TATA dealers will continue as it is till December 2012.

6. FIAT is aiming Expansion and looking to acquire a market share of 7-8% in India.

7. FIAT-Chrysler alliance is looking at India in a totally different perspective as a Very Important Market.

8. As far as new launches are concerned Only a Facelift of Linea and Punto will be launched next year. All "New Models" from FIAT-Chrysler expected from 2014.

Last edited by FastLove : 5th May 2012 at 23:32.
FastLove is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 23:31   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLove View Post
As far as new launches are concerned Only a Facelift of Linea and Punto will be launched next year. All "New Models" from FIAT-Chrysler expected from 2014.
This is the worrying part. 2014 is 19 months away. A lot can happen between now and 2014. The rate at which Fiat sales is spiraling downward, I wonder what sort of numbers they would be clocking in December 2013.
Old 6th May 2012, 11:49   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. FIAT chose to opt out of the Agreement with TATA (as it came up for renewal this year).

5. ... All existing TATA dealers will continue as it is till December 2012.
These two are as reported by my source in the Trivandrum dealership. However, their 7-8% growth target is IMHO, something as realistic as OBL plotting to assassinate BHO..

The Trivandrum dealership might not apply for Fiat as the owner is planning to apply for a Jaguar/LR dealership, I am learnt. JLR has invited applications for opening one in Trivandrum, last week.
Old 6th May 2012, 12:47   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Really? and he trusts Skoda a.s.s, wish him well
If he want a car, he want a Luxury Brand. a.s.s is nothing to do with the decision.

Ask any non-BHPian to choose between Fiat and Skoda; 99% (if not 100%) will choose Skoda.
Old 6th May 2012, 13:07   #165
BHPian

Quote:

3. Chrysler has seen a turnaround in US by registering a 20% YoY growth. After U.S. the focus of FIAT-Chrysler is on India on a similar war footing.

8. .. All "New Models" from FIAT-Chrysler expected from 2014.
If "launching models from 2014 onwards" is what FIAT means by acting on "war footing" and the dealers displaying and selling only 2 cars in their showroom(Linea, Punto) in the meantime, then only god can help Fiat India and its dealers.

I am surprised to know that there are people willing to put money in their dealerships which will practically be sitting idle for 2 years. It will be interesting to know where from does FIAT recruit people at its managerial positions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks