Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2016, 20:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti looking at Swift Sport for India

It could be a sticker job on current Swift, to maintain healthy sale before the new one hits showrooms.
One thing Maruti aims at is mass selling products, so I doubt they will bring it here.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 23:06   #32
BHPian

I still remember how the Swift RS in India looked.

This is not even a news until they really bring something here. We have been discussing about the actual Swift Sport for years now.
Old 26th October 2016, 08:13   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Although I feel the news might finally be right, I doubt the engine choices mentioned here.
The Standard next Gen swift will be most likely with the 1.0L boosterjet engine.

To differentiate the Swift Sport from the Baleno RS, the 1.4L boosterjet which is the international offering ( speculated) is likely to be offered in India too at a pricing higher than the Baleno RS.

Also a few months back it was rumored the Vitara would come to India in the Vitara S avatar.
Going forward and when their plans are to go to premium and bigger segemnts it makes sense to localize the boosterjet engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
One thing Maruti aims at is mass selling products, so I doubt they will bring it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
We have been discussing about the actual Swift Sport for years now.
When the Baleno RS is offered ( upcoming launch) why not the Swift Sport?
The Indian market is now a bit more mature where Premium Hatch and performance hatches are commanding healthy sales figures being spoken of. The hot hatch segment is still nascent with Polo GTI and Fiat leading the way. This segment is expected to grow and Maruti seem to be looking at this opportunity and leading this segment too.

Also since the New Swift is speculated to be built in India for Global markets, like the Baleno, so it would not incur additional cost in the assembly line ( tooling, etc).
The engine, until localized will be the cost dampener but I guess Maruti Suzuki has plans for localization of the boosterjet series for the Indian market.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 20:07   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Suzuki Swift Sport (not coming to India)

While Suzuki is gearing up for unveiling the SWIFT SPORT in September, it is likely the same will be displayed at the Auto EXPO in 2018.

The Suzuki Swift Sport (not coming to India)-capture.jpg

While the 1.0l boosterjet will be the SWIFT RS for India, Maruti Suzuki is contemplating bringing the SWIFT SPORT ( 1.4l boosterjet) as the hot hatch and retailing throgh NEXA.

If launches, with a power to weight ratio of ~ 141 hp/ ton (MT) and 139 hp/ton (AT), this could be Maruti Suzuki's hot hatch for India.
Quote:
While Maruti Suzuki will debut the new Swift at the 2018 Auto Expo in January, there is no official word on whether the Swift Sport will come to India. However, the likelihood of the hot hatch coming to India with the 1.4-litre motor is high.
http://www.autocarpro.in/news-intern...t-reveal-25680
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 10:38   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

SVP (CnB) claims Suzuki Swift Sport and Vitara (1.4L BOOSTERJET)are India bound. Expect the Vitara to come in MT/Auto and only petrol configuration .

Quote:
Suzuki also plonks this engine into its Vitara - the larger Creta-sized SUV that is also coming to India in a year's time.
The Suzuki Swift Sport (not coming to India)-www.jpg

Swift will come to us as a family this time to India. That family will eventually have the petrol, diesel, auto/manual - and the Sport as well as a hybrid.

Quote:
That may get a follow up by the end of the decade with - dare I say it - an electric version too.
The Suzuki Swift Sport (not coming to India)-222.jpg

The Suzuki Swift Sport (not coming to India)-333.jpg

Quote:
The hottest, most exciting variant will undoubtedly be the Swift Sport. It is an absolute blast, and yes India will get it this time!
Quote:
Maruti Suzuki Swift will launch in India in its regular diesel and petrol avatars - though with an automatic option at go
Quote:
But it will soon be followed up with first the Sport and then the hybrid. It may launch a few months later in to the new model's Indian rollout plan
The Suzuki Swift Sport (not coming to India)-444.jpg

The Suzuki Swift Sport (not coming to India)-554.jpg

DRIVE Review:

Quote:
The car feels sporty from word go, and is a delight with its responsiveness and eager nature. The stiff suspension is also nice and direct, with good feedback and very impressive handling

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th December 2017 at 10:59.
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 10:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
SVP (CnB) claims Suzuki Swift Sport and Vitara are India bound. Expect the Vitara to come in MT/Auto and only petrol configuration .

It would be great if Suzuki marketted this through their NEXA outlets to give a premium feel to the Swift Sport variant.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 17:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Whoa..this is big big news if this is indeed true. One of the most sought after models among enthusiasts, and most of us are resigned to the fact that the Sport variant will never make it to our shores. I really wonder how dependable this report is. Fervently wish that it is correct news

If you read the actual report on Car and Bike, SVP states quite categorically that this is news right from the Suzuki Japan HQ, so there might just be some authenticity to it!

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 4th December 2017 at 17:35.
Old 4th December 2017, 18:26   #38
Team-BHP Support

Am I the only one who read that as the 1.4 Boosterjet is for the Vitara, while the Swift Sport will probably get the 1.0 from the Baleno RS (possibly a higher tune)?

I know the report reads the Swift also gets the 1.4, but it will potentially complicate Maruti's pricing and product positioning not just for the Swift, but everything else above it that's pending a petrol motor (Brezza, S-Cross etc.).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th December 2017 at 18:50.
Old 4th December 2017, 21:48   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Am I the only one who read that as the 1.4 Boosterjet is for the Vitara, while the Swift Sport will probably get the 1.0 from the Baleno RS (possibly a higher tune)?
I don't think Maruti would launch the Swift Sport with the 1.4 Boosterjet. The associated costs would be significantly higher and would bring the Swift Sport into the ~12 lakhs OTR price bracket, which would affect the Swift's positioning vis-a-vis Nexa's Baleno and would also create a pricey image for Maruti's bread and butter hatch.
Old 5th December 2017, 08:23   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

I know the report reads the Swift also gets the 1.4, but it will potentially complicate Maruti's pricing and product positioning not just for the Swift, but everything else above it that's pending a petrol motor (Brezza, S-Cross etc.).
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
I don't think Maruti would launch the Swift Sport with the 1.4 Boosterjet. The associated costs would be significantly higher and would bring the Swift Sport into the ~12 lakhs OTR price bracket, which would affect the Swift's positioning vis-a-vis Nexa's Baleno and would also create a pricey image for Maruti's bread and butter hatch.
Globally, the Swift Sport has got quite a cult following among the enthusiasts; it is similar to how VW have placed the Polo GTI – expensive than some of the C-segment sedans but the target buyer will still go and get it.

I hope they don’t dilute it for India to make it VFM. To differentiate, they probably can sell the Sport through Nexa.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 08:30   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

The World's Best Driver's Car Under $18,000 Is A Suzuki - FORBES

Quote:
Yes, there are plenty of superminis out there like the Ford Fiesta ST, Mini Cooper, VW Polo GTI and Renaultsport Twingo 133 just to name a few. But in terms of absolute bang-for-buck and sheer driving thrills, nothing can beat the all-new Suzuki Swift Sport. This is Astro Boy on wheels.

Quote:
just went over its well-proportioned looks, perky turbo engine, brisk handling, sporty interior and extensive safety features in my brain. And the verdict is in – yep, this is the world’s best driver’s car for under $18,000.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th December 2017 at 08:32.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 08:32   #42
Senior - BHPian

Got a chance to check out the new Swift in Dubai. Was really impressed with the new design and interiors look very fresh. Space is liberated, both for passengers as well as in the boot. Good job Suzuki! But it could struggle in India as the market has moved to mini SUVs, at that price point.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 12:51   #43
A M
BHPian

I doubt it'll come with the 1.4 boosterjet since Baleno RS comes with the 1L unit and Swift sits below the Baleno in hierarchy.

It could be possible if Maruti is planning to pull the plug on Baleno RS and offer only Swift sport to the enthusiasts. But even then the pricing will ensure that Swift sport sells in very less numbers.

I believe this is be a brand strengthening exercise for brand Swift which has taken quite a hit after Baleno went on sale and Maruti is not really expecting the sport variant to sell in respectable numbers.
Old 5th December 2017, 13:20   #44
BHPian

If it's price is positioned around Abarth Punto then I think it will turn out to be a success in our market. Also this car may be relatively more reliable and cheaper to maintain as the case with all Maruti cars when compared to Polos or Fiats. I wish they bring this car with 6 speed manual as an option.
I only hope they equip such powerful and light built car with at least 6 airbags and other driving aids such as ESC to be able to handle so much of torque and power.

Going by the specifications mentioned by NDTV auto this car may have power to weight ratio of around 140 bhp.
This car may turn out to be poor man's OctaviaVrs
Storm2.0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 17:48   #45
BHPian

I hope they just introduce the plane jane Swift first without weakening it for India.
I am extremely disappointed with the results of the NCAP for current gen swift. It was all set to be my next car!
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks