Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2017, 19:51   #46
BHPian

re: The Suzuki Swift Sport (not coming to India)

Now that's a good news to hear. Time to put my plans into motion to get one of this true bred, not that expensive, ASS friendly, mass accepted, enthusiast certified etc etc. thing on 4 wheels . I will have the blue one then.

Please Maruti Please.
Old 5th December 2017, 20:23   #47
Senior - BHPian

I guess suzuki doesn't like the tag 'Flop' to any of its model! Since market is moving towards electric, I do wish that last ICE car I own would be the best I could afford! Hope they launch the sport with the 1.4 engine here.
Old 5th December 2017, 21:25   #48
BANNED

It costs 12-13 lacs in most global markets and that is with features like adaptive cruise control, AEB, city safety, 6 airbags, ESP etc.

I see no problem inn Maruti using its localisation of the Regular Swift to aid in lowering the price closer to 9-11 Lakh range, most likely by deleting the above mentioned features. For that price, we would finally have a reliable and Modern Warm hatch in the country. I see no reason then why the forum won't be flooded with them
Old 6th December 2017, 08:32   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Review up in Video, Again confirms its India Launch, ( Swift Sport and Vitara)

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th December 2017 at 08:34.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 09:23   #50
Senior - BHPian

Finally. A performance oriented car from a brand that rules in reliability and after sales support. Could not get any better than this.

With a Fiat Abarth, you hesitate cause you don't know when Fiat India might pack its bags and leave, again.

VW's GT Tsi leaves you wary of the damn gearbox and the possibility of VW leaving you on your own post the extended warranty or even earlier.

The previous generation Swift Sport was a stonker. The new one can only be better and the interior looks slick. The only thing you need to get past is the not so slick rear end. Once you step on the gas, I guess you'll forget about that.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 6th December 2017 at 09:24.
Old 6th December 2017, 09:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

I am just waiting with bated breath to see if this is really true, or do I need to pinch myself and face the reality of being disappointed again! SVP speaks with a fair degree of conviction when he says that this hot hatch is headed for our shores, and I cannot imagine why he would do that unless there is indeed some grains of truth in the news.

The car is bound to be a stonker, though I am fairly certain it will cross the INR 13-14 lakhs mark, given that the Baleno RS with the far inferior engine itself costs 11 lakhs plus on the road. Consequently, it is bound to be out of reach, or not appealing enough for the masses. But then again, this car was never for the masses, was it- it was always meant for the hardcore enthusiast, and to serve that purpose, no recipe sounds better than this. All other performance hatches which have hit our market have suffered from reliability and service concerns, or poor brand image of their maker, and here is the chance for Maruti to blow that equation out of the park with its strong brand equity as far as service and reliability is concerned.

Interestingly, I was at Pratham Nexa last weekend for a friend's Baleno delivery, and the sales advisor said that the S Cross is likely to come with the 1.4 booster jet next year. Quite possible, given that the 1.4 L engine seems to be headed to our shores in a few upcoming models. Interesting year ahead for sure!

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 6th December 2017 at 09:48.
Old 6th December 2017, 09:52   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
the sales advisor said that the S Cross is likely to come with the 1.4 booster jet next year.
It is not the S Cross, it will be the VITARA. Of course the SA will not be know the details, but the Vitara too will be a NEXA product.
Old 6th December 2017, 10:23   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
It is not the S Cross, it will be the VITARA. Of course the SA will not be know the details, but the Vitara too will be a NEXA product.
Yup, aware of the Vitara, but he did mention the S Cross- possibly a lack of knowledge on his part. Whichever it is, happy to know that the Boosterjet will make it to us, the engine has received rave reviews on various international drives.
Old 11th January 2018, 16:15   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Swift Sport - Test drive in Japan, (forget the language, enjoy the virtual drive!)

Quote:
Yasuhisa Shimoshita, a motor journalist who actually tried on the winding road, hides the surprise as "there is a taste of mature ride (adults) in the new type of driving" and "a high quality sports quality can be felt"

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th January 2018 at 16:19.
Old 11th January 2018, 17:16   #55
BHPian

I have a strong feeling that Maruti will give the Swift Sport a miss. Mainly for the following reason

PRICE
Swift customers would need some real talent and convincing that its better than a Baleno, Ignis, Baleno RS and hence the high price tag. Enthusiasts don't need convincing, but thats not the market Maruti is after.

Fingers crossed.
Old 11th January 2018, 17:25   #56
Senior - BHPian

Problem is Maruti is literally working over time to produce cars to satisty the insatiable taste of our country men for it's products: so they don't (or can't) think out of the box & give products that really appeals to the heart rather than brain. I think after the success of NEXA they should start a string of dealerships called 'NFS' (NeedForSpeed) as a sporty extension of their mundane cars and give us some products like Swift Sport!
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 19:22   #57
BHPian

Maruti-Suzuki - I hope you prove me wrong, And sorry for being a pessimist.

But, lets address the elephant in the room. With a country with questionable petrol quality in majority of the places, obsessed by kitna deti hai and where history shows the fate of the powerful hatchback - let's face it don't sell well (well... Abarth, GTI, etc), I don't think Maruti will give us a segment first 140bhp 1.4 Swift.

So, yeah! I don't think that will debut in India. Expect a pretty face, 16 incher blacked out wheels and mildly stiffened swift with a 100ish bhp 1.0 boosterjet engine called the Swift well RS.

PS: Again i hope Maruti proves me wrong, but this is the company that runs a single diesel engine all across its range. Its seems highly unlikely we see 2 turbo engines across the range.

You might argue that the GT is a powerful hatch too, but that just sells because its an AT

My two cents!
MartinVirage is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 10:44   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

SWIFT Sport review (launched in Australia ).

The Suzuki Swift Sport (not coming to India)-ss.jpg

The Suzuki Swift Sport (not coming to India)-ss1.jpg

Quote:
Fans of old school hot hatches will be delighted that the new 2018 Suzuki Swift Sport adheres to the borrowed philosophy that always made it so fun: light is right.
Quote:
it's the manual (with spiffy metal pedals) that we preferred, with a lovely shift action and a better clutch weighting than before. Second gear is very short. Broadford is a third-gear track, luckily...

The little turbo engine also happily lets you throttle blip to rev-match on downshifts, which makes it laudably responsive.

Dynamically, the stiffer new platform and 80kg weight loss (about 40 per cent of which comes from body mass savings) make this version yet more nimble.
Quote:
The new electric power steering is very light but offers sufficient response from just off-centre and loads up at speeds well enough, but it's the chassis tuning that grabbed us, and the grip levels. Go into a sharp corner a little too hot, and the Swift just bites and turns in.

The suspension - struts up front with Monroe shocks, but a basic torsion beam at the rear - is tuned like a daily driver, with a nice spongy feeling over corrugations. But this doesn't translate to a wallow-y feeling through corners: the body stays fairly flat, and directional changes are rapid.
Quote:
Another big improvement is the braking. The vented discs at the front and solid discs at the rear don't have much mass to haul in, but after two solid hours of track time in 35-degree heat showed no clear sign of fading.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 11:42   #59
BHPian

For majority Indians, Swift = average.

I don't think MSIL marketing team will allow to launch anything that is not extremely fuel efficient & has Swift moniker on it.

However if MSIL has any plan to launch it around 10L ex-showroom Delhi with 1.4 boosterjet, FIAT should stop the production of Abrath & clear the stocks before it is launched.
Old 12th January 2018, 12:12   #60
Senior - BHPian

I can think of several ways in which Maruti can make this work.
If I were Maruti, I could easily price it in the 15-20L range (if someone can pay as much for a Polo GT, imagine one with similar performance and better reliability and service! )
People serious about performance would cough up the money.
In the meantime, Maruti would not be serious about selling it - their objective would be to use this as display vehicles to build traffic to their vanilla maruti dealerships, which have recently lost most of the fancy vehicles to Nexa.
If course, most people, when they ask a sales exec about the price, would have a heart attack, and the sales guys wouldnt be interested in selling them either. For these customers, Maruti would certainly have a set of swift accessories to dress up your base swift to look like the 20L car, for only 2 lakhs more. (bodykit, wheels, spoiler and some stickers, which would cost Maruti <1L)

if i were Maruti, I would launch the sport first, and then the vanilla Swift later (so that the buyers of the sticker editions get some time to take credit for their so called 20L car)

Last edited by greenhorn : 12th January 2018 at 12:13.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks