Team-BHP - The Suzuki Swift Sport (not coming to India)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   The Suzuki Swift Sport (not coming to India) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/119993-suzuki-swift-sport-not-coming-india.html)

Source: Maruti Suzuki Contemplating Swift Sport Launch | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

"The Indian version of the Swift Sport will be powered by either a 1.4-litre K14 from the Ertiga or the 1.6-litre M16 from the SX4. The 1.4-litre engine produces 94 BHP of power and 130 Nm, while the 1.6-litre engine produces 104 BHP of power and 145 Nm of torque."

Good to know that Indian manufacturers have started offering premium hatchbacks which was not the case in previous years.

But one thing worries me. Swift already is quite a fast car, very chuck-able around the corners, with new 1.4 or 1.6 L engine it would in turn become even more quick. Safety should be the first priority with such high end offering cars.

Suzuki should provide all round disc with bigger brake booster, ABS coupled with EBS and at least 6 airbags. Nothing less than this.

With great power comes great responsibility.;)

Finally Maruti!

If this news turns out to be true and such versions are launched then Petrolheads will be the happiest of the lot.

It would be nice to see the 1.6 L SX4 engine to do duty on the Sport version.:thumbs up

ABS, All round discs and Airbags to be standard and wider section tyres. Not the standard 165 sections:Frustrati

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

IMO even if the Swift Sport is launched, they would play safe and follow VW by offering it only in the Zxi trim variant with the rest of the car being the same. I doubt they would stiffen the suspension or bring in bigger brakes et all and would keep the costs in check.

Yes, it is a good move by Maruti Suzuki to take a step like this which should have been taken years ago, nevertheless its coming soon hopefully. I just wish for a no frills Lxi variant with just ABS and ESP. It would make a crazy project car:D!!

Fiat are you listening?? T-Jet Punto asap!!

Fiat had started the trend with the Palio 1.6 and Punto 90HP models, followed by Volkswagen with the Polo 1.6, but unfortunately these cars have sold very less numbers and the resale value of these models is also very low due to the high petrol prices, comparatively lesser fuel economy and lack of general consumer interest.

Let's hope the Swift Sport is a success as Maruti Suzuki is the largest manufacturer in the Indian market and has got a good reputation when it comes to fuel economy and resale value.

As has been written earlier, the ideal specs would be 1.6l, 104Bhp, all discs, ABS+EBD, airbags and the best body form would be a 3 door version like it's sold in the UK!

Quote:

Originally Posted by eltoro (Post 2764867)

As has been written earlier, the ideal specs would be 1.6l, 104Bhp, all discs, ABS+EBD, airbags and the best body form would be a 3 door version like it's sold in the UK!

Only for people to mock later saying "Beta tune 7 lakh rupiya deke 2 darvaze vala gaadi khareeda?" :D

Anyway, a sporting version would be very welcome, and I certainly hope it is not just an engine transplant. How about also tricking up the suspension, exteriors and interiors a little bit to make it an overall appealing package - like HID lamps, spoiler, aluminium pedals, short throw shifter, Leather/Sunroof etc. Lot of people modify their swifts to do these, it would be nice to have a factory fitted car with same features. Maybe Maruti can price this at 7.5 lakhs ex showroom. It would be about 2 lakhs above the Zxi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2!!! (Post 2764862)
...I doubt they would stiffen the suspension or bring in bigger brakes et all and would keep the costs in check.

That car would definitely be bought only by enthusiasts or the rich. My guess is that any enthusiast would know that he has got a raw deal if its only a 1.6L motor and no other bits to harness that power! I would rather have a close knit unit straight out of factory for a few lakhs more than have to go through a lot of after market mods.

How much could it really cost to get the real-deal? Couldn't it be pretty much a technology statement? Wonder if Maruti would really worry a lot about the numbers being low then. Being a Maruti, i would like to safely assume that it would do better numbers than the Polo 1.6.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 (Post 2764942)
That car would definitely be bought only by enthusiasts or the rich. My guess is that any enthusiast would know that he has got a raw deal if its only a 1.6L motor and no other bits to harness that power! I would rather have a close knit unit straight out of factory for a few lakhs more than have to go through a lot of after market mods.

How much could it really cost to get the real-deal? Couldn't it be pretty much a technology statement? Wonder if Maruti would really worry a lot about the numbers being low then. Being a Maruti, i would like to safely assume that it would do better numbers than the Polo 1.6.

agree: when you say that it would be ideal for Maruti to spruce up the Swift Sport from the factory itself but if you see the link in post #1, it is mentioned that the car in its real avatar costs close to 13 lakhs. Now even if it nudges 8L out here, most people would shy away from it considering: A) its a petrol and B) its a Swift at the end of the day!!

Hence, my speculation of it being a 1.6/1.4L Zxi trim variant and standard bits and pieces. I hope I am proved wrong though.

Firstly, there is no official statement or some kind of scoop pic. This might merely be a speculation.

Secondly, for Maruti's benefit and FE cause, I'd prefer if they bring out a 90bhp VGT version of the MJD. That would be more of a commercial success.

I agree with blue_pulsar,

The concept of the swift 1.4/1.6 sounds extremely appealing but this would have made proper business sense atleast a year or two back.

Nowadays, when three out of four swifts are diesel, it seems improbable to get returns out of the petrol motor. However the 90BHP diesel would definitely find buyers. Throw in a tuning kit and we are close to 100 BHP !

IMHO the current look of the swift is not sporty. Wonder what exterior Maruti can do so that they can share bits from the existing lineup.

This is good news and bad news. A 100~ ponies is what would have lured me to a swift if this news is true. But, yeah... Maruti's late in the game this time. Gone are days of enumerous petrolheads thinking from their hearts instead of the days, thanks to our fuel taxation system. Let's not debate that here !

What would make more sense is for Maruti to tune up the diesel motor to a 100bhp at factory setting. That's definitely going to kick em Punto 90bhps for sure. And any other diesel mill out there in this league. Pricing maybe an issue. But, then like how the germans have done it, the 1.6 fabias anf polos were made available only in the top-end trims.

How would they name it? A ZXXi or ZDDi.. is upto Maruti! lol:

Knowing Maruti and its infatuation with limited editions, it could very well be just some stickers, maybe a new interior trim shade, fogs, a subtle body kit, alloys etc with no major differences under the skin with the existing Swift.

But, I'll be delighted if I am proved wrong. :)

Okay, this should be interesting.

If MS manage to provide a good set of safety features, it will be a good proposition. If they put in the 1.6 from SX4, it could well compete with the 104 BHP of Polo/Fabia 1.6

But will the conservative MS actually go in for such a radical model?

I think the new 1.4 litre kseries engine will be a better option compared to the ageing 1.6 from SX4 !
They can tune engine to liberate 100 horses and since it is a relatively light and efficient engine, fuel economy shouldn't be too different from the 1.2 version.
What maruti needs to do is to price it attractively.

There should be V and Z variants with V having ABS,wider tyres and strong brake boosters as standard.