Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 12:34   #61

Re: April 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Lately - over the last month or so - it appears that the only new car one can see on road is the Ertiga at least at my backcountry location. Based on this very scientific way of surveying the new car market by keeping a watch on what's getting on road, I wonder whether Ertiga is in fact cannibalizing its stablemates, e.g., Dzire, Swift and Ritz. Since I could also see a number of new Innovas on road over the same time frame I cannot say that Ertiga is eating into Innova's market.
Old 4th May 2012, 13:09   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
I think Maruti should stop Grand Vitara after launching Ertiga (not a replacement of Vitara but 7 seater) or seriously think of diesel engine for Vitara. From statistics only 8 were sold in last 7 months
Sorry, but what’s the logic there? Both are different type of cars and most probably will not result in any cross-shopping. And the Vitara anyway is a CBU. It’s like saying Honda should stop the CRV after the launch of the Brio.

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th May 2012 at 13:09. Reason: typo
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 14:10   #63
BHPian

Aria, New Fiesta, Fabia, Yeti - please learn a lesson from XUV, Verna, i20!

After all the huge efforts behind Aria, it is a real pity to see this happen to Tata. I hope some bright mind is put in as the brand manager and turns it aroud.

Honda City's sales graph - full of ups and downs - is definitely not encouraging. I am sure the management is on its toes.

Has VW hit a wall with the sales numbers? Looks like. The preference for Skoda brand over VW is evident - Rapid outselling Vento consistently. VW really has to spread itself wider in the country to prevent stagnation.
Aragorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 14:33   #64

Great job GTO and Jalsa777.

Alto dropping off the ladder might be a sign of things to come. I think the K10 is pretty decent, but the 800cc might get replaced soon.

I was also expecting the Figo to climb up the ladder. Nice to see Beat and Ertiga raking up the numbers. Like GTO says, the UV segment is going to get big, and that means the Ertiga would be the biggest gainer.

Whatever is happening to Honda in India. It's the art of messing up a cute brand!
Old 4th May 2012, 16:41   #65
BHPian

Quiet impressed with i20 and the Verna sales. If Hyundai can bring the i30 and position it between i20 and Verna, it would be an awesome lineup.

Ford oh my dear Ford, still haven't woken up from your slumber?

Bring in the diesel, Honda. And please no money for the badge.

VW is really caught in a ditch, similar products (to Skoda) will hurt its sale in the coming months too. Any idea when the VW Up is coming to India?

Chevy has gone back to their slumber after the success of Beat and Cruze.

Mahindra, awesome showing. Maybe its time for a shot in the C2, B2 and B1 segments.

Good to know that, one in every 5 cars in India, is made by an Indian company.

Last edited by Optimus7 : 4th May 2012 at 16:42.
Old 4th May 2012, 18:49   #66
BHPian

- Spark now needs a facelift to up the game. IMHO it is a brilliant small car without a good image. It is a better allrounder compared to Alto and Eon. Some refreshment and an upgraded interior scheme can do the trick. Styling has started getting old while interior design is odd ball. Rest of the car is great.

- Brio deserves numbers atleast two times. Honestly. Honda needs to promote it more as a family car. Invite small car buyers,provide free test drives and campaign well. In India : Small cars are not exactly small cars Promote them as family cars.

- Nissan needs to bite the bullet and price the sunny and micra diesel variants bit lower. Sunny in particular has got the potential to fully establish Nissan in India.

- Innova's numbers are insane. How to justify the jump in sells after the price increase and new competitors !?

- Ford Fiesta diesel automatic. This is what can make the difference if Ford wants.

- New Hyundai i20 : Luxury,equipment and class matters more than ride,power and power

- XUV > Aria : Smart work + hardwork > hardwork

Last edited by Turbokick : 4th May 2012 at 18:51.
Old 4th May 2012, 19:08   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
Corolla altis outsells everyone in that segment and by huge margin ?

Any reason?

Looks like people are happy with 1.4l diesel engine. I always wondered that compared to other cars in that seg corolla altis is a nice decent luxury car !!!

What say GTO???
Would really like to know the break up of how many diesel Corollas Toyota has sold compared to the Petrol ones. Honda's Civic at one time had taken the game away from Toyota with a brilliant product. Which it still is. But Toyota has fought back and how! I'm sure a significant chunk of 881 Corollas sold were Petrol models. If not its atleast got to be way higher than the measly 51 units that Honda managed to sell.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 4th May 2012 at 19:38.
Old 4th May 2012, 20:42   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS
The Toyota story is a clear case study. It clearly shows that the India buyers is maturing faster than what the manufactures are anticipating. Maruti is an Outlier in India but their badly positioned models that do not sell.

The Liva and Etios is case in point where Toyota thought they will sell big number of a non-premium car just by their name. Believe me, if they had got the Yaris they would have been selling more than the current Etios numbers. You will notice more and more Etios as taxi's in the last few months. Whenever I go the airport, I tend to notice more Etios taxi's. In my belief, the Etios will be a remain sub 5K seller with share of taxi segment increasing.

Hyundai remains quite consistent in its over all numbers, though the mix is changing. Being a proud Verna owner (June'11, 11K odo), I am very happy to see the fantastic numbers this car is posting MOM

Drop Alto numbers are big surprise, would it mean a face lift is coming?

Cheers

KPS
I tend to agree. Toyota took the Indian consumer for granted and is trying to sell a substandard car at not so sub standard prices. Result - sub standard sales. We might pay 25 Lakhs for a 15 Lakhs fortuner, but will not pay 8 for a 6 Lakh car because of the quantum difference in quality, both actual and perceived.

Last edited by prashanthyr : 4th May 2012 at 20:47.
Old 4th May 2012, 21:13   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I'm sure a significant chunk of 881 Corollas sold were Petrol models. If not its atleast got to be way higher than the measly 51 units that Honda managed to sell.
No way i would say. To overtake Civic, it surely has the 'diesel' support, else its hard for any sedan to outsell the Civic in a petrol-petrol battle.
Old 4th May 2012, 21:30   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal
No way i would say. To overtake Civic, it surely has the 'diesel' support, else its hard for any sedan to outsell the Civic in a petrol-petrol battle.
Please check previous months sales numbers. Civic overtook Corolla only in its initial launch months. Since the day Altis came out, Corolla is beating Civic left and right. Moreover, Corolla used to do around 700 even without diesel and with 1.4L diesel, Toyota would have expected around 1200-1300 for Corolla but it is still doing around 800-900 (due to small 1.4l engine).

There is no way that 1.4L diesel is helping Corolla to maintain its lead over Civic. Please check US sales data as well, Corolla with old 4 speed AT (in India, we have 7 speed Petrol AT) is selling more than newly launched next-gen Civic.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 21:34   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal
You mean to say the diesel Corolla outsells the petrol one by 800 odd nos?

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 4th May 2012 at 21:37.
Old 4th May 2012, 21:55   #72
BHPian

As always great job GTO et al !

Nice to see Jazz achieving a well deserved four digit figure. Not very sure whats going on with City, thought after the price cut City is a better value car. Would be interesting to see Honda's future strategy, bring on the diesel engines Honda !

venks
Old 4th May 2012, 21:59   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Please check US sales data as well, Corolla with old 4 speed AT (in India, we have 7 speed Petrol AT) is selling more than newly launched next-gen Civic.
As a Corolla owner I can tell you that I won't touch the diesel with a barge pole. Price and power is the main reason. Putting a hatchback engine into a sedan and expecting it to sell at a premium price is not done.

As for the new US Civic - my fears have come true Honda has let us down. The new 9G Civic has been trashed and is no longer recommended by the Consumer Reports.

2012 Honda Civic EX: Tested…but not Recommended

This car, when introduced in India, will get kicked with its bland styling when compared with the hot 8g Civic. The 9G reminds me of a Toyota!!

Sales of 51 Civics in April is rather embarassing. With the reported Honda Siel issues in India, Honda needs to wake up! Their smugness ought to be history by now.
Old 5th May 2012, 00:37   #74
BHPian

This month's sales numbers did not intrigue or even interest me. The only thing that amazed me was the prompt presentation and representation of the sales and charts every month. Thanks to one and all who make it possible.

The thoughts that crossed my mind were:

- Can Aria really see the limelight if the price is reduced for the otherwise capable and eligible car.
- Can a diesel heart in Honda's stable turn the sales in their favor? I for one would vouch to buy a Honda if it ever came with an oil burner.
mezereo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 03:59   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

As for the new US Civic - my fears have come true Honda has let us down. The new 9G Civic has been trashed and is no longer recommended by the Consumer Reports.

2012 Honda Civic EX: Tested…but not Recommended

This car, when introduced in India, will get kicked with its bland styling when compared with the hot 8g Civic. The 9G reminds me of a Toyota!!
I do hope they release the revised 9G once it is launched world wide instead of current 9G. Since 2013 civic is coming soon probably by july in USA, if Honda can launch the same in India with a diesel engine, they could be back in game big time. Knowing honda, chances of diesel engine are slim and so are any chances of 2013 civic landing on Indian seashore.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks