Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:18   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: April 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post

* Hurrah for the Jazz! I'm really pleased that this spacious beauty has entered the 4-digit figures. So, there are now 1,300 who share my passion for Jazz.
+1 Great to see the Jazz picking up, and how! A jump from 3-figure to 4-figure sales is heartening.

I'm surprised no one brought up the Brio here..

And I'm equally surprised to see the 6k mark that it hit in March. Yes, it's lower in April, but still! For a car that comes only with a petrol engine, managing 6k sales figures is quite an achievement.

Luxury car sales have slumped, and understandably so. With added tax to these cars, it will only take it further away from prospective customers who'd settle for a car a full segment lower.

Number crunching has never been this much fun.

Thanks for the low-down, GTO.
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:20   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

April 2012 has thrown some surprises.The Swift emerging as the no. 1 best seller, appears as a mystery. Is Manesar overtaking Gurgaon? The top car maker remains Maruti, while HM-Mitsubishi is at # 14 (the last). Fiat is # 12 (third last). Both HM and Fiat (as PAL) have ancient roots in the market, but have a "phoren" element now with the Mitsubishi and the Fiat (Italy) factors respectively. Both have been laggards in the present times.

Every car maker following Mahindra (which is at # 4) including Toyota # 5,Chevrolet # 6, Ford # 7, Honda # 8,Volkswagen # 9 and Nissan # 10 have at least a model each that propels the company with appreciable sales figures. The phrase "at least a model each" can be illustrated with names like the Liva, Etios, Beat, Figo, Brio, Polo, Vento, Micra and Sunny.

Toyota's Innova has sold 6582 units and beats its other models outright.Its sales are inching nearer to the Bolero figures.

The Chevrolet Beat is becoming Chevrolet's mainstay. They wanted to sell more Sparks with the Rs 2.66 L slogan but thats not well taken.

Ford would have been a few notches above HM- Mitsubishi, had the Figo (especially the diesel) not been launched.

Honda sustains itself with the Brio, City and the Jazz. With only petrol engines to sell, the brand name and the quality attracts buyers.

Volkswagen springs a surprise with the Beetle selling 1 unit.The older version sold 22 million units worldwide and this one sells 1 in India!

The Polo and Vento sustain the Ranjangaon based company.

Nissan with the Micra and Sunny can retain its hold on the market. The Renault Pulse at 412, in comparison to the Micra's 1435 again proves that Renaults are not well taken by the market.This time around, Mahindra won't be able to buy the Pulse like the Logan/ Verito (1501 units sold now) to pump up the sales.

Coming to the other winners, the Ertiga though for me a newgen Wagon R with an extended wheelbase, marketed initially as a SUV and now as a LUV, has been very well received.It may upset the Bolero's applecart in semi- urban areas as a taxi.

The Hyundai Eon, face-lifted i 20 and the fluidic Verna keep the company's flag flying high.

The XUV 500 has clearly eaten into the sales of the Safari, Fortuner, Yeti and Aria (did the last two have any sales figures?).The Fortuner was selling around 2000 units and now its down to 1270.The XUV bookings are now and the Fortuner bookings were once being most talked about in town.The Scorpio sustains itself well, even with the XUV 500 going stronger. The Xylo seems to be losing some steam though!

Tata sales are slowing down.It has nothing in its portfolio, other than the Indigo/ Manza and the Indica / Vista. The Nano cannot be relied upon, as with marketing gimmicks its selling, but in the long run it may not sustain itself so well.The Safari with its facelift looks more Chinese now than ever before. And the much hyped Aria at 63, is even outsold by the Yeti at 75.

Though April was a month after the March climax, the lowering of the loan interest rates may have somewhat helped car sales.The taxes (Central Excise) are up.Maharashtra has also added more State sales taxes (wef May 1st) to add to the buyers woes.

The car sales beat all such odds and the sales figures spring surprises every month!

Last edited by GTO : 4th May 2012 at 10:10. Reason: Adding paragraph spacing to improve the readability of your post
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 22:45   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806
As it was commented on Ertiga thread elsewhere that MSIL expected Ertiga would be preferred by Sedan buyers and everyone including myself thought Ertiga would finally make a dent in Innova sales.
I have been saying from day 1 on Ertiga thread that it is not going to compete with Innova/Xylo but it is direct competition to sedans and hatch backs. It is really early to draw some conclusion here but look at the sedans with spacious cabins like Sunny, Etios and Manza. All these registered lower numbers an I think these are on receiving end from Ertiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS
Corolla altis outsells everyone in that segment and by huge margin ?

Any reason?

Looks like people are happy with 1.4l diesel engine. I always wondered that compared to other cars in that seg corolla altis is a nice decent luxury car !!!

What say GTO???
If you look at all previous months sales, humble Corolla has always been outselling all flashy competitors by a big margin barring few months. Having said that, I don't think the 1.4D contributes much to sales. It's 1.8L petrol that brings in numbers as it's reliable, powerful enough and has 7 speed AT now.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 3rd May 2012 at 22:47.
Old 4th May 2012, 00:10   #49
BHPian

Ford seems to be a biggest loser with New Fiesta Sedan. Hyundai is laughing all the way to the bank. They are able to push too many Vernas at the cost of Ford! Ford.. big thumbs down for your market research and product packaging, pricing! What a lemon!
Old 4th May 2012, 02:57   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007
The XUV 500 has clearly eaten into the sales of the Safari, Fortuner, Yeti and Aria (did the last two have any sales figures?).The Fortuner was selling around 2000 units and now its down to 1270.The XUV bookings are now and the Fortuner bookings were once being most talked about in town.
AFAIK, the Fortuner never used to do 2000 units a month. Toyota never had capacity of 2000 Fortuner a month. It is always consistently doing 1000-1200 units a month. Even if you look at historical sales data of past moths in this thread itself, no way Fortuner has lost anything because of XUV5OO. XUV has dented most to the C+ segment sedans, Yeti & Aria.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 04:34   #51
BHPian

Overall, it has been a slow month for almost all manufacturers. Of the top 7 gainers, Ertiga & XUV are the two new releases that have captured the market imagination. I20 has been refreshed, and for Jazz, it was the pent up demand. Verna effect is most probably due to budget increases for others in its class. Omni increases is more of a month-to-month fluctuation, and I am not sure about the A-Star increase. But looking at the overall numbers for A-Star, doesn't seem to be too big though.

With many having purchased their vehicles in March to avoid budget surprises, April being a slow month was almost expected. Need to wait & watch to see how May & June goes.
Old 4th May 2012, 07:58   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Compact SUV Yeti appears to be looking for the bottom of the pit, with the Tata Aria for company. VW group sales have overall taken a beating, and the company is said to be very concerned about this situation.
What is the main reason behind Yeti's failure in INDIA ?

The 4x2 with its 110 bhp heart is not helping either. I guess the 4x2 with 140bhp would have worked.

Pre-worshipped value seekers are not able to find any good examples either.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:30   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanksal lot GTO for this well composed report

Alto - Looks like its a production issue or something else. If its was a demand towards diesel car then Beat should have come up with some extraordinary figures considering Alto's dip but that's not the case. Even sales of other diesel options like Figo, Ritz, Swift remains the same. There is no drastic increase in Eon,i10,Santro, Nano as well. So, it more looks like a Production issue.

Dzire - Reduction in Boot space has not affected its Sales at all, in fact its doing 15K consistently(around 40-50% more than the Old Dzire)

Ertiga - Looks to be a smashing hit. SX4 definitely requires a engine upgrade, nothing less

Innova - Holds on to its number which clearly shows Ertiga has nothing to do with Innova sales.

Jazz - Good to see 1K+ sales after long time.

Fiesta - Looks like Ford in blindfolded.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:30   #54
BHPian

With respect to Alto's drop, maybe Maruti was focusing on production of higher margin Dzires and Ertigas and hence had sacrificed the lower profitability products. Correct me if I am wrong - don't know which is produced where.

Also, with the Cruze losing steam, we know that a facelift with an improved engine is in the pipeline. I would personally also come out with the same car with a lower engine such as the current Optra's. It is silky smooth, has excellent mileage and this may allow a drop in prices by a couple of lacs.

Really happy to see Verna doing well. I expected the Sonata to be a dud with only petrol offered. Why the heck they didn't launch the diesel considering the engine options they already have is beyond me.

Bolero - India shining

Thanks GTO / Jalsa. This really makes my day interesting!

Last edited by elantracrdi05 : 4th May 2012 at 09:31. Reason: Typos
Old 4th May 2012, 10:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

Ah! How complicated has the Indian market turned out to be! Though it is heartening to see that the market is maturing too. A bad product, no matter how much discounts it has or how well it is being advertised, doesnt sell! The Swift has made history last month, but why is there such a dip in the Alto's numbers is confusing though. Probably even the Alto segment people are looking for a Diesel heart in their cars? The Cruze, the Global Fiesta, the Punto, are well deserving products which despite having Diesels and being competent, aren't doing the numbers they deserve.
Overall, the sales numbers of most segments reflect the effect of the excise duty increase during the Budget.
Old 4th May 2012, 10:19   #56
BANNED

Source: The Ertiga’s success shows Mahindra has to shape up : Car-Nama

" In a mere 15 days, the car has accumulated bookings of close to 25,000 units."

Though only SX4 seems affected by Ertiga last month, the effect on DZire and will be known once the backlog is cleared. IMO, these 3 cars will be the most affected ones by Ertiga.
Old 4th May 2012, 10:36   #57
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone notice how drastically the overall sales figures of TATAs have fallen down.

Infact it is just about some 2000 units more than Mahindra which has far lesser offerings in the market and no small budget diesel cars... Something is wrong with the TATAs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Source: The Ertiga’s success shows Mahindra has to shape up : Car-Nama

" In a mere 15 days, the car has accumulated bookings of close to 25,000 units."

Though only SX4 seems affected by Ertiga last month, the effect on DZire and will be known once the backlog is cleared. IMO, these 3 cars will be the most affected ones by Ertiga.
Why are you posting the same thing in multiple threads buddy?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 4th May 2012 at 10:39.
Old 4th May 2012, 10:41   #58
Senior - BHPian

Would be interesting to see the numbers once diesel becomes deregulated - IMO 50-60% of diesel car buyers would still buy just for superior FE. Just that the ROI would take a longer time if not heavily used.
Old 4th May 2012, 11:28   #59
BHPian

I think Maruti should stop Grand Vitara after launching Ertiga (not a replacement of Vitara but 7 seater) or seriously think of diesel engine for Vitara. From statistics only 8 were sold in last 7 months
Old 4th May 2012, 11:58   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
* Cant believe that the Estilo (693) and A-Star (926) COMBINED are doing less than Maruti 800 (1705), which is virtually being phased out. Why does Maruti still want to persist with the Estilo?
* It's really sad to find Spark doing only 810 sales. Truly a capable car which should have had better sales.
* Still cannot figure why the aged Omni still outsells its bigger sibling, Eeco (a modern and more spacious carrier).
One reason for M800, Omni (and also WagonR) to clock numbers could be that both come in factory fit LPG avatars and others don't. (Had seen so many Eeco with after market LPG fitments).

But this doesnt explain why Spark (which has an LPG offering) numbers are down!

Would be good to have split on petrol/Diesel/Bi-fuel variants
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks