Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:50   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

April 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES
1: Only cars that sell over 500 units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

2: Only 7 cars meeting the above criteria have logged increased sales this month.

A big shout-out to Jalsa777 for preparing the beautiful charts & graphs!

Last edited by GTO : 3rd May 2012 at 16:30.
GTO is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:52   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: April 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Movers & Shakers

April is usually a mediocre month, as most car purchases are preponed to the month of March to avail of maximum depreciation benefits & protection from the post-budget excise duty hikes. We also see some correction in inventories at the dealer levels around this time. Where the total market size was between 2,40,000 – 2,80,000 for the January – March 2012 period, April saw a massive dip to 2,18,000 only.

We had predicted last month that UVs (SUVs & MUVs combined) will overtake sedans soon. Well, that prediction has proven right, with UVs now accounting for a 23% share of the market (compared to 20% for sedans).

• We have a new no.1 in the market, and that’s the Maruti Swift! This is a rare time that a car other than the Maruti 800 or Alto has laid claim to the numero uno spot in the last 2 decades. There’s nothing new about the Swift touching 20K units, it’s done that for the last 3 months. What I’m intrigued with is the Alto’s fall to 18K dispatches. That’s about ½ of what the entry-level hatchback has managed each month of the last quarter. My best guess is, an extra-ordinary event (production hit, line maintenance, supply issue etc.) is at play here. The Dzire also records an especially strong month with sales at the 15,000 mark. It seems that the market just cannot get enough of Maruti’s new compact sedan. No doubt, it’s got far more comfort, refinement and quality than the outgoing car (small boot aside). Petrol prices don’t affect the Omni’s popularity amongst commercial operators at all. 5,400 copies of the Ertiga have been shipped out in April, and this number could only go higher considering the VFM pricing of Maruti’s new 7 seater. Expectedly, the Ertiga has completely cannibalised the more-expensive (and very mediocre) SX4. No one in the market seems to want the A-Star, Estilo, Grand Vitara or Kizashi.

• The Eon remains Hyundai’s best-selling car for the 3rd month in a row. The hatchback is slowly & steadily making inroads into the entry-level segment, outselling all competitors (800, Spark, Indica, Nano) except for the Alto. Hyundai’s C-segment weapon, the Verna, had its best ever month with a stunning 6,251 sales! I’m sure this kind of market performance has left the competitors surprised, and stuff to learn from as well. The face-lifted i20 climbs up the premium hatchback ladder with 7,500 sales, though the older i20 was also a frequent visitor to the 7-8k mark. The i10 is facing a lot of heat due to petrol-only engine options. Santro is clearly giving way to the Eon. New Sonata is unable to make any noticeably impact in the segment, and even the Santa Fe doesn’t seem capable of maintaining initial momentum.

• A completely forgettable month for Tata. While most competitors went up on the year-on-year rankings, Tata took a massive step back. Overall, Tata is only 2,600 units ahead of Mahindra. The Nano isn’t able to hold on to the 10,000 mark, and slips down to 8K. Remember, the break-even point for this li’l hatch is 20,000 sales / month. The Indica & Vista record their lowest number in 6 months, and have managed about 3,000 each. The Indigo & Manza shipments have dropped to 40% from the February & March levels, and 30% of January 2012. We can safely predict that the Indigo / Manza have sold merely 1,800 units each. The well-priced Sumo Gold variant leads to reasonable demand for the UV. On the other hand, it’s clear that the Aria is going absolutely nowhere with the current pricing. Its direct competitors just sold 50 – 100 times more (the XUV & Innova). You just wonder what Tata was thinking when they signed off on the outrageous launch price of this otherwise competent MUV....a market failure if I ever saw one!

• The outdated Bolero retains its popularity, as well as the title of the best selling UV in India. The XUV500 & Scorpio have a bright, sunny April too. On the flip side, it’s becoming increasingly evident that the Xylo’s facelift improvements have no effect on its competitors.

• A mixed bag of a month for Toyota. The Japanese giant has mass market aspirations from the Liva & Etios which record their worst month in 6. The Liva, especially, put up an incredibly poor show. On the other hand, the Innova, Fortuner & Corolla remain “reliable” cash cows for the company. No imports for the Camry at the moment; local assembly & delivery will start later in 2012.

• Chevrolet needs to wake up & smell the coffee. While the Beat & Tavera put in respectable performances, its list of market duds is only getting longer. The Spark is slowly joining the Aveo, UVA and Optra on the back bench. Let’s not forget that the Spark was till recently a consistent 3,000 / month performer. The Cruze also isn’t getting the marketing support it should, and is performing at a 30% lower-than-optimal level for the last 6 months.

• Not much action over at Ford. The Figo has a reasonable run, nearly touching 6,000 units, while the Endeavour also records a noticeable spike in demand. On the other hand, the new Fiesta (a victim of over-pricing) sells a mere 227 units. That’s even lower than the other failed sedan, the Fiat Linea!

• The Brio sells 3,600 copies. Decent, but not up to the mark when you consider the sheer competence & VFM pricing of the product. The City continues with its unpredictable dance, this time dropping to ~2,000 units. The Jazz has its best month in history @ 1,300 despatches, but it pales in comparison to the Hyundai i20’s market performance. The Accord, Civic and CRV record a forgettable month. Honda needs a complete overhaul of its India strategy and fast. Right now, it’s looking rather direction-less.

• Only the Polo brought some good news for VW in April. The Vento, at the receiving end of sibling rivalry (from the cheaper & identical Rapid), sees its poorest month ever at only 1,949 dispatches. Doesn’t look like the recently launched mid-variant had much of an impact. The Jetta & Passat have a sub-par run as well.

• Nissan’s star performer, the Sunny, inexplicably drops 50% from the March 2012 level. The diesel variant led to the Sunny becoming a strong performer in the C-sedan segment, and Nissan’s going to have to learn how to maintain the momentum. Status quo for the Micra.

• The Rapid outsells the Vento, by however slim a margin. We’ll have to wait & watch on the impact of the Superb’s new well-priced variant. However, the Laura is clearly facing the heat, while the repositioned Fabia is fast losing favour with the market. No doubt, the ridiculously priced Fabia Scout isn’t going anywhere either. Compact SUV Yeti appears to be looking for the bottom of the pit, with the Tata Aria for company. VW group sales have overall taken a beating, and the company is said to be very concerned about this situation.

• At the back of the pack are Fiat, Renault & HM-Mitsubishi. Not much to report here, except for the new Pajero Sport outselling all other Mitsubishis combined.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd May 2012 at 16:51.
GTO is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:53   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Last edited by GTO : 3rd May 2012 at 16:30.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:53   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:54   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Last edited by GTO : 3rd May 2012 at 16:31.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:56   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:11   #7
BHPian

As usual, great work, GTO and Jalsa 777.

It seems from the charts, despite some drawbacks, Maruti, Hyundai and Mahindra are surging ahead of the pack. Others are all left sweating with the ever intensifying competition. A big cheer to auto lovers.

A big surprise is the drop in Sunny numbers. At least in Kerala, it seems it is raining Sunnys these days.

Last edited by CoolFire : 3rd May 2012 at 14:18.
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

@GTO

Firstly let me thank you for the most awaited thread of the month. As usual great statistics and kudos to all involved.

Swift dominating Alto comes as no surprise as the demand for the diesel cars have gone up exponentially and Alto does not have any diesel variant. I was surprised to see Ertiga figures esp the Feb month. Wasnt the Ertiga launched in March. I guess the coming days we could see Ertiga eating into Swift sales too considering 22K odd bookings in two weeks.

What made Nissan Sunny sales drop so much. Ford needs to come up with a workable solution for the New Fiesta or they would end up losing all they gained with Figo. What prompted Endevour sales? price cuts?
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:20   #9
BHPian

Most expected thread , was looking for past two days. Eon overtaken its own sibling i20 catching up wagon R !!!!

Beat at 4.5 and figo at 5.8 both have lost 18% from earlier month!
Jazz catching up faster that expected!
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:21   #10
BHPian

As I had predicted in one of the other threads, Jetta sells close to half of last month's sales. Its a damn good car but way too overpriced. Thanks for the charts GTO and team.
Sorry for nitpicking GTO, but Ertiga is spelt as Eritga.

Last edited by shivasuma : 3rd May 2012 at 14:34.
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:29   #11
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the numbers!

While almost all models had a slump in sales (compared to March), the Jazz had close to 150% increase in the numbers. Looks like Honda is finally getting a grip on this one.

The SUV scene is quite interesting. Surprising nos. by CRV and Endeavour. And really bad show by the Yeti. I guess the pointless 4x2 is not helping them much.
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

@GTO & Jalsa, great job! We know its the start of the month only when this thread comes up!

1) 150 odd aveos and UVAs-Who's buying these? I seriously would want to understand the buyer's mindset when they go out and buy a car like the Aveo which has failed since the day it was launched! Or may be it was discounted so badly that some one who wanted to buy the spark ended up buying these!
2) City's numbers never cease to amaze me! Such volataility in the past 3-4 months, I dont know whether this slump is again due to some supply crunch.
3) Renault pulse 2400 units in the last 4 months! And in spite of being available only in diesel! This is 10% of swift's sales every month!
4) What is ford waiting for? Agreed they may not need volumes, or that is what they claim, but they are doing worse than even the Linea!
5) Verna-> A true example that no one is actually bothered by high speed dynamics or driver feeback! Diesel + Hyundai+ over the top curves=Sucessful car!
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Most awaited thread is back.

- Surprised to see a sudden burst in Endeavour sales. Not that they have made any changes. Perhaps fresh inventory being placed with dealers at the beginning of the new fiscal.
- Fortuner and Superb maintain their dominance of the D2 segment. XUV going great guns in D1 so is Verna in C2. Sad to see poor Yeti sales. Such a capable vehicle let down by a 'perceived' lack of space. Innova also holding its own in the middle of the rut. Civic is nearly dead by lack of company policy. Bad month for Accord too.
- Pajero Sports has taken over what was left from Pajero sales.
- Honda City and Nissan Sunny playing the topsy turvy game.
- Swift is setting a benchmark which will be hard for others to follow. Watch out for the Ertiga to do the same.
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:32   #14
BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful analysis. Was looking forward to this.

BTW, please check the MoM% from Hyundai Eon onwards as they seem incorrect.
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:39   #15
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the wonderful review and charts. April like always is a bad month for sales. Most manufacturers have dropped. Alto's drop seems to be an aberration so the new number 1 in Swift also must be a temporary phenomenon

I would like to point out a few errors in the report. The first charts i.e TOP Losers and Gainers which compare the top and Bottom performers MOM shows Feb 12 and Mar 12 while it should read as Mar 12 and Apr 12. Also the chart which shows model wise sales across manufacturers, is showing erroneous YOY% figures. Eg: Dzire has grown 31.5% YOY but the model wise chart shows a 50% drop. Similarly, SX4 is showing a growth of MOM% while it has dropped significantly

Is this an error or am I reading it wrong??

Last edited by nurni76 : 3rd May 2012 at 14:55.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks