Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2012, 21:56   #46
BHPian

Re: WARNING: Chennai & Bangalore run short of diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithvi53 View Post
It took me 3 hours to finally get diesel. And after the long wait the attendant said that he will only fill diesel worth rs 500. After a little pleading and arguing he finally agreed to fill diesel for 3K.
3 Hours?? Man that is frustrating. I have never understood the logic behind the fuel stations imposing rations whenever the price goes up. What exactly are they trying to do?

Rajan
Old 28th May 2012, 22:03   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithvi53 View Post
I was desperate for diesel today and found a very long queue at a bunk on LB Road. It took me 3 hours to finally get diesel. And after the long wait the attendant said that he will only fill diesel worth rs 500. After a little pleading and arguing he finally agreed to fill diesel for 3K.
I Just hope I never have to spend so much time waiting for fuel next time.
3 hours? I thought 1 hour 15 mins i spent last week was bad. Lucky you didnt end up with any scratch. People get really desperate and start to bully each other after a long wait.

Rs 3k worth of diesel? Thats 68+ litres! Which car? My car goes to full tank within 1600rs.
Old 28th May 2012, 22:18   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
3 hours? I thought 1 hour 15 mins i spent last week was bad. Lucky you didnt end up with any scratch. People get really desperate and start to bully each other after a long wait.

Rs 3k worth of diesel? Thats 68+ litres! Which car? My car goes to full tank within 1600rs.
Yeah it was absolutely ridiculous, but then I needed diesel as all my cars were out of fuel. I did get a few bike guys hitting the bumper in their mad rush to get petrol but luckily no damage to the car.
They only had xtramile diesel so I got around 60+ litres. I was in an Audi A4. I think the tank capacity is 65 lts. So it should last me for around three to four weeks.. Thank god for that.
Old 28th May 2012, 23:30   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
BP bunk in Camp Road had diesel with about 4 cars waiting in queue, but IMO the diesel sold here is adulterated as my car beings to "cough & stammer".
I go against this point if the bunk mentioned is Indian Air Force- Indra Nagar Junction one, as all my commercial vehicles atleast 5 of them fill up everyday here with no problem in fuel quality.

And as mentioned in the first line, there is indeed less or no queue in this bunk.
Old 29th May 2012, 00:24   #50
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Update: Today evening the Shell bunk in Chromepet was out of diesel stock and by 7:45 pm, the place in front of the fuel station had become a war zone. This was because almost all the bunks on GST Road (HP &BP) were closed due to zero stock. These bunks opened late in the night and I could see long queues for diesel and petrol. Even the Velachery HP bunk had atleast 20 cars waiting for the fuel as late as12 midnight. Even though, I have half a tank of fuel left in my Fiesta, I called my friend who runs a Petrol bunk in Ambur asked him to send some diesel by three regular lorry service. He has sent 100 litres and I hope this will be enough to run the DG in my office and my car till the situation is back to normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narchennai View Post
I go against this point if the bunk mentioned is Indian Air Force- Indra Nagar Junction one, as all my commercial vehicles atleast 5 of them fill up everyday here with no problem in fuel quality.

And as mentioned in the first line, there is indeed less or no queue in this bunk.
Thank you for the feedback.

I had filled at the fuel station twice in my Fusion and the car instantly transformed into a rough, sluggish and jerky vehicle. This happened twice to me and the car became normal when filled with diesel from a different fuel station. Possibly these were two isolated incidences. Please also note that the difference is felt only when you drive the car. These two occasions were enough for me to avoid filling in the fuel station in future.

Possibly the commercial vehicles have engines which are more tolerant to adulterants in diesel than the common rail TDCi engines from Ford.

Last edited by MAS : 29th May 2012 at 00:45.
Old 29th May 2012, 08:18   #51
BHPian

Today's newspaper quotes that the Fuel Tankers will reach chennai by today evening. Expect the worse for today. This situation will go out of control and I dont expect things to get normal before weekend.
On the way to airport saw quite a few bunks with a long long queue.
Old 29th May 2012, 13:47   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Please also note that the difference is felt only when you drive the car.
Yes indeed my personal vehicles are not filled up in this bunk. So I take your point.

Quote:
Possibly the commercial vehicles have engines which are more tolerant to adulterants in diesel than the common rail TDCi engines from Ford.
All the current commercial vehicles owned by me are DI or old diesel engines, so tolerance could be more. I didnt consider this when I quoted
Old 29th May 2012, 16:13   #53
BHPian

Stuck at home for last two days as my car has only 1/4 tank of petrol and keeping it for emergency purposes. Heard that the supplies will resume from Tuesday evenings. Has anyone seen the bunks open today around Ayanavaram, Purasaiwalkam or kellys?
Old 29th May 2012, 16:37   #54
Senior - BHPian

There is no problem in Bengaluru. Hope that title of the thread will be changed.
Old 29th May 2012, 18:00   #55
Team-BHP Support

After three dry days, Chennai to get petrol and diesel today

Quote:
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has announced that three ships carrying 67,000 kilo-litres of petrol and diesel have arrived in Chennai; 2000 kilo-litres of diesel have come by road from Bangalore.
Old 29th May 2012, 18:03   #56
Senior - BHPian

The BP bunk next to Spic building in Guindy received both petrol and diesel this afternoon. As of now both are available.
Old 29th May 2012, 18:20   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy28 View Post
Stuck at home for last two days as my car has only 1/4 tank of petrol and keeping it for emergency purposes. Heard that the supplies will resume from Tuesday evenings. Has anyone seen the bunks open today around Ayanavaram, Purasaiwalkam or kellys?
Most of the pumps which were closed yesterday in these areas and vepery are open today but there are long queues.
Old 29th May 2012, 18:30   #58
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Latest update: All bunks in GST road have received tanker loads of both petrol and diesel. I just splashed my fiesta with a tank full of diesel at the BP bunk opposite airport and next to Hotel Raddison. Seems like things are retuning back to normal.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 19:21   #59
Senior - BHPian

whoa, early reminders to us that we need to keep working on alternate fuels! The oil wells wont be replenished at the same rate and there is only so much that can be taken out of a rotating sphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
3 Hours?? Man that is frustrating. I have never understood the logic behind the fuel stations imposing rations whenever the price goes up. What exactly are they trying to do?
Perhaps its not the price itself, but they might be trying to ensure that everyone gets a little bit which could be useful in emergencies. My PoV, but not really sure they think on similar lines.
Old 29th May 2012, 19:26   #60
Senior - BHPian

Fuel shortage in Chennai will end soon: Jayalalithaa

The Hindu's online website carries this news -

With the arrival of 67,000 kilo litres of petrol and diesel at Chennai Port, the fuel crisis in the city will come to an end immediately, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said on Tuesday.

The Chief Minister, who held a meeting at the Secretariat to chalk out ways to overcome the shortage of fuel, said the city required 2,100 kilo litres of petrol and 2,500 kilo litres of diesel per day and the immediate distribution of the fuel from the Port would bring an end to the crisis.

Ms. Jayalalithaa said three coastal tankers carrying 67,000 kilo litres of petrol and diesel had reached Chennai Port on Tuesday afternoon and steps had been taken to distribute immediately the fuel to 72 bunks of Bharat Petroleum and other bunks of Indian Oil Corporation and Hindustan Petroleum Corporation.

Besides, the government had arranged for delivery of 2,000 kilo litre diesel from Bangalore to Chennai through road. Moreover, Indian Oil Corporation and Hindustan Petroleum Corporation have taken measures to supply more petrol and diesel to bunks in Chennai and suburban areas.

The Chief Minister said the halt of work at the Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals for ten days, non-supply of diesel to Bharat Petroleum and a spurt in the requirement of petrol and diesel resulted in fuel shortage in Tamil Nadu.

More info here:
The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : Fuel shortage in Chennai will end soon: Jayalalithaa
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks