Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 09:07   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: WARNING: Chennai & Bangalore run short of diesel

Panic reaction by diesel users to fill up at current prices ? May be they fear an increase in diesel prices also ? (Not that the fears are un-justified)
Old 24th May 2012, 09:11   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS
Huge shortage of diesel in Chennai today. I'm now at shell 150% of the normal price of diesel. Is it better to have a petrol engined second car?
+ 1.

After checking around 8-9 bunks, I got into a queue at IOC near airport, waited 1.15 hours and filled extramile diesel. Even shell bunks were crowded.
Old 24th May 2012, 11:07   #18
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
+ 1.

After checking around 8-9 bunks, I got into a queue at IOC near airport, waited 1.15 hours and filled extramile diesel. Even shell bunks were crowded.
I was in the queue too at the same fuel station, but since I had to go urgently, I went to the Shell fuel station in Chromepet and brimmed the tank @ 63 bucks a litre.

No diesel stocks in HP and BP fuel stations. Only IOC fuel stations have stock of diesel.

@ CONDOR - This is not panic filling. There is a genuine shortage of diesel in Chennai.

God knows where this country is heading...

Last edited by MAS : 24th May 2012 at 11:09.
Old 24th May 2012, 11:14   #19
BANNED

I guess thy are anticipating the 10%+ hike as in petrol and not supplying the bunks. In an case we are heading back to the quota-permit raj days. Remember the days when the Attorney General argued in the SCI that the right to life was not a Fundamental Right. It is the same bunch of jokers around.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 11:33   #20
BHPian

This might be due to excess usage of diesel in the city due to power cuts. Most part of the city runs in genset daily, as they used to cut power area wise. I normally fill up when my DTE shows ~30 km :-). Now my car's DTE is in ~80. but after reading this thread i need to fill-in ASAP.
Old 25th May 2012, 12:57   #21
Team-BHP Support

Update: Few IOC bunks have received loads of diesel yesterday night. Can see a few HP and BP bunks till closed/ displaying boards that diesel is out of stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I was in the queue too at the same fuel station, but since I had to go urgently, I went to the Shell fuel station in Chromepet and brimmed the tank @ 63 bucks a litre.

No diesel stocks in HP and BP fuel stations. Only IOC fuel stations have stock of diesel.

@ CONDOR - This is not panic filling. There is a genuine shortage of diesel in Chennai.

God knows where this country is heading...
Very wise decision. I totally forgot about Shell diesel, even though my bike used to run on a regular diet of Shell petrol. I had been driving from Velachery to Airport with the Warning light on, hence got a bit desperate and got into that queue.

Five seperate queues were formed at the IOC bunk - and they all were converging to fill from two vending machines. I got my first scratch yesterday in that mess.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2788103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
This might be due to excess usage of diesel in the city due to power cuts. Most part of the city runs in genset daily, as they used to cut power area wise. I normally fill up when my DTE shows ~30 km :-). Now my car's DTE is in ~80. but after reading this thread i need to fill-in ASAP.
I used to fill up when the 'low fuel warning' light comes on. But I am going to tank up from around the half-way mark now onwards. Thrice I had to run around Chennai with the low-fuel light on, looking for diesel from one bunk to the other. Too much of uncertainity these days, and I need to travel atleast 40kms daily.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th May 2012 at 13:06.
Old 25th May 2012, 13:48   #22
BHPian

Chennai is in a real bad shape. Petrol is expensive , Diesel is not available. Not the best situation to be in .

Diesel shortage is mainly due to power crisis and excess use of generators.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:24   #23
BHPian

Any idea about the situation in suburbs? Vandaloor stretch.
Today morning i had filled for 500/- Rs at a BP pump near Chandra mall at Arcot road. That bunk provides diesel for Rs 500/- only per car. Tomorrow i have to go for Madurai :-( hoping to fill at suburbs.

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 25th May 2012 at 15:25. Reason: corrected the location
Old 26th May 2012, 15:09   #24
BHPian

Chennai situation is becoming worse. Now even petrol is not available.

1. BP bunk opp Checkers near Little Mount. No Petrol but Diesel available
2. HP, Company owned opp YMCA , Nandanam. No Petrol and Diesel.
3. HP , Nandanam Signal - Petrol available. Diesel not available.
Old 26th May 2012, 17:56   #25
BHPian

Filled up from Shell Selaiyur yesterday, now that its 79 against 78.xx from PSU. There wasnt anyone tyring to fill -in. The chart still read as 23,000 litres of ordinary petrol. A big queue in the bunk on opposite side was primarily for diesel i believe. But dont think petrol is a problem as such.
Old 26th May 2012, 18:18   #26
BHPian

According to TOI the situation will continue for sometime
Diesel shortage in Chennai to continue - The Times of India
Old 26th May 2012, 21:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Majority of the pumps are dry in Chennai, of both fuels. Diesel seems to be a rare availability.
Old 26th May 2012, 22:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

I feel the situation is better today in Chennai. This evening I filled tankful of Diesel for my car at a BP pump near Sembakkam, Chennai. No waiting. No Queue. Absolutely normal fill today.
Old 27th May 2012, 09:34   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I feel the situation is better today in Chennai. This evening I filled tankful of Diesel for my car at a BP pump near Sembakkam, Chennai. No waiting. No Queue. Absolutely normal fill today.
Yesterday seemed to be better, but witnessed the same story again today.

HP bunk at Velachery had a long queue even at 6.15 am in the morning. And by 7.45am they had 'No diesel' board promptly displayed. Same goes for a few other bunks near Velachery.

Even yesterday - my teammates were struggling to arrange call-taxi. Most of the mainstream operators did not have cabs available due to shortage of diesel. I guess the situation is worse inside the city compared to outskirts like Selaiyur/ Tambaram, mainly due to consumption by generators.
Old 27th May 2012, 13:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Oil companies have been crying hoarse that owing to subsidies, they have been losing heavily on each litre of diesel they sell. May be this is their way of cutting losses.

If this situation persists, it will negate the economy of diesel to some extent. The last thing any one wants is to queue up for fuel. And the longer the queue, the more unruly things get at the pump. Pushing, cursing, honking, argueing etc. may ensue in such cases.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks