Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2012, 09:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: WARNING: Chennai & Bangalore run short of diesel

Is petrol available in the city now? I went to tank up my car and found 2 bunks in thiruvanmiur, Chennai without stocks of either petrol or diesel. The 3rd bunk had petrol and a huge queue was forming. Managed to stay in line and get a tankfull of petrol after about 20 minutes of wait.

The queue became longer while I was leaving though.
Old 28th May 2012, 11:33   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Oil companies have been crying hoarse that owing to subsidies, they have been losing heavily on each litre of diesel they sell. May be this is their way of cutting losses.

If this situation persists, it will negate the economy of diesel to some extent. The last thing any one wants is to queue up for fuel. And the longer the queue, the more unruly things get at the pump. Pushing, cursing, honking, argueing etc. may ensue in such cases.
It will also bring transportaion of essential goods, public transport and all other realted services to a grinding halt.

Rajan
Old 28th May 2012, 12:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
It will also bring transportaion of essential goods, public transport and all other realted services to a grinding halt.

Rajan
And on this very tide, is the diesel passenger car owners keeping their bet on. At times looks little unfair, but as in reality, its very difficult to strike the perfect balance.
Old 28th May 2012, 12:54   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Is petrol available in the city now? I went to tank up my car and found 2 bunks in thiruvanmiur, Chennai without stocks of either petrol or diesel. The 3rd bunk had petrol and a huge queue was forming. Managed to stay in line and get a tankfull of petrol after about 20 minutes of wait.

Most of the pumps in Tambaram and in GST Road (towards chengalpet) opened today. But there were lot of crowd. I filled tankful of Diesel in MM Nagar Bharat Petrolium COCO.

Yesterday evening when i went fromTambaram to T.Nagar and back, found most of the pumps were closed.
Old 28th May 2012, 13:18   #35
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Today, i saw long queues of cars waiting to fill diesel at the IOC fuel station next to Trident.

I was surprised to see Shell Fuel station, Chrompet with a long queue of cars almost 100 meters on the GST Road. I still have about 3/5th of the tank of Diesel left in my car. I will do the search when the fuel reaches below 1/2 tank level.

BP bunk in Camp Road had diesel with about 4 cars waiting in queue, but IMO the diesel sold here is adulterated as my car beings to "cough & stammer".
Old 28th May 2012, 13:40   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
"shortage may continue for another two or three days and is due to reduced supply of Euro 4 grade fuel. Two Euro 4 grade tanker ships are expected to arrive at the Madras Refinery tomorrow. There has also been an unplanned shut down of MRPL & CPCL refineries in April for almost a month and over a week respectively."
Chennai runs on empty as petrol and diesel run out
Old 28th May 2012, 13:43   #37
BHPian

Good part of this fuel shortage, Chennai roads are traffic free. Smooth drive from home to office and back. Love this traffic drive. Not sure how long for me though, as my fuel has dipped to 1/4
Old 28th May 2012, 15:47   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Petrol runs out of stock as well. My friend went to quite a lot of petrol bunks around Velachery area and finally borrowed my bike after leaving his bike at my place.

Very sad situation!
Old 28th May 2012, 16:01   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
And on this very tide, is the diesel passenger car owners keeping their bet on. At times looks little unfair, but as in reality, its very difficult to strike the perfect balance.
As per news, shortage seems to be only in cities.Interstate transport seems not to be affected.I did a Chennai to Bangalore drive yesterday, Did not find any petrol bunk closed enroute.
Old 28th May 2012, 16:23   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
Good part of this fuel shortage, Chennai roads are traffic free. Smooth drive from home to office and back. Love this traffic drive.
Ha, very true. Yesterday I had the "breeziest" ride from Adyar to Anna Nagar @ <<<<30 min!!

Sunday evening + IPL final + Fuel Shortage = EMPTY ROADS

Anyway, I hope the situation brightens up quickly. Btw, the MTC buses seem to be plying normally! Where do they get the diesel from?
Old 28th May 2012, 19:59   #41
BHPian

Tomorrow need to travel to airport early in the morning. Hopefully some cabs operate. Called up Fast Track, they took the booking but did not even give a booking number.
Saturday I did another booking and they never turned up.
Or will have to take the MTC bus for airport.
Old 28th May 2012, 20:53   #42
BHPian

Went to fill up petrol at shell ashok nagar. Never have seen this crowd at shell ever since they opened . Their super stock is already over and diesel is over . Petrol would be out of stock by night .

Things don't look nice for the next one week
Old 28th May 2012, 21:08   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
Tomorrow need to travel to airport early in the morning. Hopefully some cabs operate. Called up Fast Track, they took the booking but did not even give a booking number.
Saturday I did another booking and they never turned up.
Or will have to take the MTC bus for airport.
Would suggest you check with Aviation express. I had a tough time last Friday at the airport as there were not enough Fast tracks with diesels. Had to use the black and yellow taxi after considerable wait time. The driver was mentioning that only 100 out of 350 odd prepaid taxis were out of action due to diesel shortage

BTW, certain companies are looking at invoking BCP (business continuity planning) scenario as some of the offices may not work due to shortage of diesel for captive power plants

Last edited by Sridhar K : 28th May 2012 at 21:09.
Old 28th May 2012, 21:30   #44
BHPian

Today morning I filled 2K worth of petrol for my car near medavakkam. Just waited 10 mins. Its my pure luck I got in and got out too easily. Garraged the car and planning to use only 2 wheeler and siphon petrol from the car when needed

Regards,
Vijay
Old 28th May 2012, 21:39   #45
BHPian

I was desperate for diesel today and found a very long queue at a bunk on LB Road. It took me 3 hours to finally get diesel. And after the long wait the attendant said that he will only fill diesel worth rs 500. After a little pleading and arguing he finally agreed to fill diesel for 3K.
I Just hope I never have to spend so much time waiting for fuel next time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks