Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 18:05   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Does Figo still carry the VFM tag among the Diesel cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Am looking for a spacious hatch with focus on rear seat comfort & ride to be driven exclusively by my driver.
Primary use is school run and errands totalling around 800km/month. Thus I do NOT need anything apart from power steering and AC and am looking at a minimal outflow.
I am open to either petrol or diesel as long as the 1.2 petrol version (with AC on) gives adequate mileage in city traffic, and is 'driveable' instead of downshifting everytime we are slowed down.
Not interested in highway mileage or manners. Intend to keep the car for a minimum of 5 years and hence resale not a major factor.
I agree with Vid6639 on this :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Instead of buying any of the above for 5lakhs you would be better off buying the WagonR. It has the best rear comfort and very good FE. Plus you save a cool 1 lakh over the premium ones.

If you go for a diesel you are looking at 6lakhs minimum for Ritz or Figo.

With the WagonR you get a petrol much lower than the other high end hatches and you almost don't need the diesel since the WagonR is so much lesser in price.
Wagon R has got a very good rear seat which even elders would appreciate. The urban ride quality ( which you are looking forward to ) is also quite improved over earlier generation. Very easy to drive, small in size for city parking spots, can be taken to small narrow streets without worry. FE is reasonably good too, and the interior is quite airy as well. And its not that expensive also. Figo petrol certainly wont have the FE that Wagon R would have.
Regarding comfort, I can confirm the same as even my grandparents were able to find Wagon R's rear seat comfortable over long journey.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 18:28   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks AAG & Vid, had not thought of it - we had had a disastrous TD of a used Wagon R around 2 years back and came away thinking its a tin can. But we MUST take a look at the 'blue-eyed boy' now.

Good idea! Many thanks - will revert after TD by this weekend.
Old 7th May 2012, 18:40   #48
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 9th May 2012 at 17:32.
DevilsCry is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th May 2012, 19:55   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

• Does Figo still carry the VFM tag? Perhaps No.
7L on-road for a platform which was launched in 2002 (Fiesta MK V) seems too much.
  • Does Figo still carry the VFM tag among the Diesel cars sold in India? Hell, yes!
Most diesel cars sold in India have an unjustified inflated price tag/ have features stripped off. Both in comparison to their petrol siblings. In this madness, the Figo is a well priced package.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 20:35   #50
BHPian

If we compare top-end diesel hatches Figo TITANIUM is still the VFM car. Yes the price got increased but the recent batch TITANIUM got few new features too (Alloys, Tilt Adjustable steering).

GC is no more an issue with newer FIGOs, I myself bought one 2 months back, with full load (5 + 1 passenger squeezed in) it never scrapped any speed brakers. (I wonder why Ford still gives the older gen' Figo for TD, which has GC issue which makes few people stay away from Figo.)

If Figo TDCI is outdated, then the Micra's 1.5L engine is way too outdated.
Yes the only contender in ease of city driving when compared to Figo is Micra, but believe me the EPS will let you down on highways, I stayed away from Micra for 2 reasons, One it got some feminine looks and second (the main reason) very light EPS. It might be a boon to drive inside city, but will gives you fear to take it over 80 km/h.
Old 7th May 2012, 21:36   #51
BHPian

If We compare Figo with Swift/Polo/I20 etc., Figo is no doubt VFM.
But Figo is not alone here, there is a segment for "VFM diesel hatch with ABS" which includes Figo(Titanium),Ritz(VDI ABS),Liva(GD+) and Vista(VX).
All these cars are VFM compared to other hatches. Each has its own pros and cons. Final decision would depend on personal priorities.

Bit OT, but Swift may be a better car, but I am not able to understand either heavy premium (zdi) or compromise with braking (vdi) + long waiting time for Swift in comparison to these cars.
Old 8th May 2012, 08:13   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel
A car that doesn't offer rear power windows even as an option for the asking price is no VFM. These are necessities and not optional! Shame on Ford even the Eon has this feature as standard.

Having driven the MJD swift extensively I agree about the initial turbo lag but after taking the Figo for a spin I wondered what the fuss is all about! Given the fact that its got less turbo lag there's nothing really exciting about the engine. Brash, noisy and sluggish, yes sluggish and I spent some time trying to find the fun to drive factor that people raved about. To me it was a boring car to drive and for low end drivability I will take the micra over this.

Also remember that Figo is a previous gen Fiesta from Europe. So its dated even before you buy it. I've successfully driven 3 of my misinformed relatives from wasting their money on the Figo.
::::: i guess its your personal opinion. i own both ritz and figo dsl and can vouch that figo drives way better in spite of its technical specs etc. honestly top speeds , acceleration are all gimmicks to sell a vehicle but one must realize that most of us drive more often in cities where quick pickup is need of the hour. i earlier thought that only maruti produced good cars till i owned a ford.. however i would reserve my comments till there is some serious mileage on figo.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:14   #53
BHPian

Looks like the guys at Ford are hooked on to this thread. They come out with the most ridiculous ad in the Times today to showcase Figo as a VFM car. The ad only talks about boot space, bluetooth and price. Sounds more like a real estate ad than a car ad. Not surprisingly, the engine is left out of this comparison. Great job Ford!
Attached Thumbnails
Does Figo still carry the VFM tag among the Diesel cars?-getimage.png  

fuel_addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 11:32   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
When talking about VFM, the maintenance costs and resale value should also be taken into account.
+1 here. Ford is known for a ridiculous re-sale value. I own a Ritz today after almost booking a Figo a year back.

This may not matter to you, but what mattered to me is the low profile of the car made me nervous when i was test driving it. Ritz after test driving FIGO had a SUV like ride quality. My decision was made.
Old 9th May 2012, 13:16   #55
BHPian

I am trying to zero in on a diesel hatchback from the following options

1. Chevy Beat
2. Ford Figo
3. Toyoto Liva
4. Renault Pulse

The car will be driven by my wife and mostly inside the city and i am looking for a VFM car with decent looks and reasonable performance. Your suggestions are really appreciated.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:05   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post

1. Chevy Beat
2. Ford Figo
3. Toyoto Liva
4. Renault Pulse

The car will be driven by my wife and mostly inside the city and i am looking for a VFM car with decent looks and reasonable performance. Your suggestions are really appreciated.
The Chevy Beat should be ideal - smaller hence easier to drive, funky looks and interiors (subjective), surprisingly refined engine, great ride quality, and enough poke for the city drive, cheapest as well (?). Its ideal for someone, like say a lady, or a non-enthusiast, not needing too much power.
Cayman360 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 15:11   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post

1. Chevy Beat
2. Ford Figo
3. Toyoto Liva
4. Renault Pulse

I own a Chevy Beat Diesel. It has a very quick engine for City driving and city mileage is an absolute plus. But as it's for your wife, I wouldn't recommend a Beat because of visibility issues. The dash board is set very high and seats are too low without seat height adjustment.

I have driven a Figo [1.4 Diesel engine] & city manners of this car when compared a 1.0 Beat engine is a dud. The turbo kicks in late and most of the time you would require working on the gear box to follow the pack.

Cheers,
Jai
nevertouchme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 15:46   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Looks like the guys at Ford are hooked on to this thread. They come out with the most ridiculous ad in the Times today to showcase Figo as a VFM car.

Take list of what is lacking in Figo Titanium compared to Swift ZDi:

Power: 75PS Swift vs 69PS Figo
Torque: 190Nm@2000RPM Swift vs 160NM@2000RPM Figo
Tilt Steering Column
Power Windows-Rear
Automatic Climate Control
Air Quality Control
Rear Seat Headrest
Seat Lumbar Support
Multi-function Steering
Digital Clock
Outside Temperature Display
Adjustable Headlights
Electric Folding Rear View Mirror
Rain Sensing Wiper
Rear Window Wiper
Alloy Wheels
Power Antenna
Rear Spoiler
Outside Rear View Mirror Turn Indicators
DVD Player
Audio System Remote Control

Child Safety Locks
Anti-Theft Alarm
Seat Belt Warning
Traction Control
Vehicle Stability Control System
Crash Sensor
Centrally Mounted Fuel Tank
Engine Check Warning

I think Ford has some marketing persons, previously working with Hyundai!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 9th May 2012 at 15:48.
Old 9th May 2012, 16:02   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv

1. Chevy Beat
2. Ford Figo
3. Toyoto Liva
4. Renault Pulse

For a lady driver, the Beat should be easy to manoeuvre in traffic. The Figo and Pulse score on the zero turbo lag feature while the Liva scores high on cabin space. The Beat appears to be perfect if it's going to be used in the city. The Figo isn't a bad option while its VFM tag is being hammered upon in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun

Tilt Steering Column
Power Windows-Rear
Air Quality Control
Rear Seat Headrest
Seat Lumbar Support
Multi-function Steering
Digital Clock
Adjustable Headlights
Rain Sensing Wiper
Rear Window Wiper
Alloy Wheels
Power Antenna
Rear Spoiler
DVD Player

Child Safety Locks
Anti-Theft Alarm
Seat Belt Warning
Traction Control
Crash Sensor
Engine Check Warning

You have gone a bit overboard with the features;-). The Swift sold in India does not have the following in stock setup:

Air Quality Control
Seat Lumbar Support
Rain Sensing Wiper
Power Antenna
Rear Spoiler
DVD Player
Traction Control

I would add the 8V SOHC engine setup of Figo to the 16V DOHC one in the Swift to that list of features.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 9th May 2012 at 16:07.
fuel_addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 16:13   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

Tilt Steering Column
Power Windows-Rear
Air Quality Control
Rear Seat Headrest
Seat Lumbar Support
Multi-function Steering
Digital Clock
Adjustable Headlights
Rain Sensing Wiper
Rear Window Wiper
Alloy Wheels
Power Antenna
Rear Spoiler
DVD Player

Child Safety Locks
Anti-Theft Alarm
Seat Belt Warning
Traction Control
Crash Sensor
Engine Check Warning

Romeo I agree with the essence of your post that there are lot of features that swift ZDi has additional over Figo titanium, but your data is not entirely accurate above. Since I own a Figo TDCi Titanium I can tell the features it has

Tilt Steering Column
Air Quality Control ( if it means air filter)
Adjustable Headlights
Alloy Wheels
Child Safety Locks ( i am assuming you mean door locks)
Crash Sensor
Centrally Mounted Fuel Tank (dunno if its really a feature)
Engine Check Warning
Rear Wiper

There are certain features in your list that are definitely not present even on the swift Zdi like.

Traction Control
Vehicle Stability Control System (dont know what this feature means)

I am sure there are more which are actually not there on Zdi but present on your list.

Last edited by supertinu : 9th May 2012 at 16:20.
supertinu is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks