Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 22:03   #91

Re: Does Figo still carry the VFM tag among the Diesel cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
If the diesel car is for your wife, the Figo Tdci Titanium suits best. Why?

My first choice was Figo, but the constricted space and build quality (specially the metal thickness used) put her off.

I agree with you on the feature list, dont see any other hatchback beating that. However as I mentioned earlier, we started off with limited feature requirements, the concern more was on solid build, space inside and good engine!!!
Old 5th September 2012, 23:23   #92
BHPian

If you found the metal thickness of the figo inferior, How would you rate the metal thickness of other cars like swift/ritz etc? IMO figo has best metal thickness after european cars like polo/fabia/punto etc.

Even on the space front, its leagues ahead with respect to swift/polo/ritz/punto and behind the vista & jazz.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 5th September 2012 at 23:24.
Old 5th September 2012, 23:24   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnetheus
the concern more was on solid build, space inside and good engine!!!
Acually Figo's body sheet is thick. You can just check the weight of doors, bonnet weight and press your finger to side fenders and observe.

But Punto has good rock solid build and better than bulky i20. New Gen Swift is very poor on body, has thin metal sheet, window glass more thinner than old swift and Fuel tank is replaced with Polymer tank which alone reduced car's weight by 30kgs.
Old 5th September 2012, 23:35   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
If you found the metal thickness of the figo inferior, How would you rate the metal thickness of other cars like swift/ritz etc? IMO figo has best metal thickness after european cars like polo/fabia/punto etc.

Even on the space front, its leagues ahead with respect to swift/polo/ritz/punto and behind the vista & jazz.

Yes the metal thickness may be marginally better than swift/ritz, but nothing great.... As for space front, there is no literally no headroom in Ford Figo, even swift and polo in regards to head room are way better.

Quote:
Acually Figo's body sheet is thick. You can just check the weight of doors, bonnet weight and press your finger to side fenders and observe.

But Punto has good rock solid build and better than bulky i20. New Gen Swift is very poor on body, has thin metal sheet, window glass more thinner than old swift and Fuel tank is replaced with Polymer tank which alone reduced car's weight by 30kgs.

I did check the sheet thickness, and thus my comment. But I agree, its always compared to what??....agree on other points!!
Old 6th September 2012, 09:33   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnetheus View Post
I did check the sheet thickness, and thus my comment. But I agree, its always compared to what??....agree on other points!!
Can I know how you checked the sheet metal thickness?
Old 6th September 2012, 09:38   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you are impressed with Figo, you can go ahead with above freebies or wait till Dussera or Diwali to get Facelift Figo. There are few cosmetic changes in front headlamp, bumper and rear tail lamp.
HighOctane I recently got to drive the Figo TDCI and I just Loved the way it drives. Now I know why "Bhpians" Love this machine.

Ever Since, I have been pushing my bro to pick this up. But, what I would really be interested in is :

1. With the F/L Figo around the corner, should we hang in for a while or go with the current version ?

2. If I was asked as to point 1 flaw in Figo, I would say "The Rear Manual Windows". It's just Non-sense to me to call it a "Safety Feature".

Do you guys think the F/L will adress this "Flaw" ??

3. Last but the most important, Would the F/L have any other Engine option or are we just too "Indian" to have a Hot hatch ??

Last edited by Vik0728 : 6th September 2012 at 09:40.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 10:06   #97
BHPian

I'm in the same boat. The wait is killing me and I don't even know if it is worth it! The weak headlamp issue is likely to be solved but no idea about the low ground clearance (15'' alloy wheels on Titanium maybe?) and rear power windows.
Old 6th September 2012, 10:28   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
2. If I was asked as to point 1 flaw in Figo, I would say "The Rear Manual Windows". It's just Non-sense to me to call it a "Safety Feature".

Do you guys think the F/L will adress this "Flaw" ??
IMO, I strongly believe that its a convenience feature.

For instance imagine you leave some kids/ elderly folks in the rear seat and go shopping. You know that you will not be back in less than 30 mins.

If the car is equipped with rear power windows you may have to leave the keys in the car for them to operate it.

And leaving the window fully open or fully closed has its own threats. I don't really see a point in arguing about the lack of rear power windows at all.

Having manual rear windows overcomes all these hassles.

How long is it gonna take to roll up or roll down, in case you really wanna do it.

My two cents!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 6th September 2012 at 10:29.
Old 6th September 2012, 10:44   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post

How long is it gonna take to roll up or roll down, in case you really wanna do it.

My two cents!
I beg to differ. I wonder why Ford should be worried about me leaving kids/elders in the car and them operating the windows without a key. That's an entirely subjective situation. The fact is, even a small hatch like the A-star comes with rear power windows now, being 2L lesser than the Figo. This excuse just doesn't pass. Winding type windows are primitive and remind me of the 1990s. When every other car out there is offering rear power windows to open /close at button press, I would like the same to be offered by the Figo as well (if I was a prospective customer). Deciding whether manual / automatic windows are more "convenient" for me is not the business of the company, in my opinion.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 10:49   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I beg to differ. I wonder why Ford should be worried about me leaving kids/elders in the car and them operating the windows without a key. That's an entirely subjective situation. The fact is, even a small hatch like the A-star comes with rear power windows now, being 2L lesser than the Figo. This excuse just doesn't pass. Winding type windows are primitive and remind me of the 1990s. When every other car out there is offering rear power windows to open /close at button press, I would like the same to be offered by the Figo as well (if I was a prospective customer). Deciding whether manual / automatic windows are more "convenient" for me is not the business of the company, in my opinion.
I fully endorse your views. And if Ford calls it a 'safety feature', then why does it provide rear power windows in the Classic and the new Fiesta? Are those cars relatively 'unsafe' compared to the Figo?

This is hogwash rationale by Ford, if you ask me.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 11:36   #101
BHPian

@karthikk , I agree with you completly .Even if leaving kids/ elders inside one can always slighlty open the power windows and take the key away.

Imagine a situation where one has to drop travellers on the way and the passengers had left the window half open .After dropping them if the driver wants to switch on the a/c or if it rains suddenly , he/she will be left with no other choice but to get out (in the rain)and roll the window up.
Another issue is when kids travel alone in the rear seat there is higher chance of them pulling the window down. Where as in power windows there is an option to enable or disable the rear power window switch.

For a car selling at around 6+ lakhs it is quiet odd that ford really missed out such an important thing.
bullboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 11:49   #102
BHPian

The reason is not safety front. Since the glass doesn't roll down fully at the rear door (Reason, its a one piece glass and it gets obstructed by the wheel arch), Ford thinks of not giving rear power windows.

Some valid (sounds valid) reason i have heard so far,
#1. User might kept pressing the power window switch inspite of glass being rolled down to the max. This might create unwanted load to the mechanism and might leads to break often.
#2. To roll it just half way down, power windows might not be necessary.

OT, When i heard these from SC guy, i replied him, Since it roll down on its own, you people might think its not necessary hun?
(One of the known issue in Figo, the rear door window glass tends to lower down by few cms on its own)

From the photographs of the face lifted Figo, i can see the rear door remains the same with one piece glass and i doubt the facelift will get a rear power windows.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:53   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I beg to differ. I wonder why Ford should be worried about me leaving kids/elders in the car and them operating the windows without a key. That's an entirely subjective situation. The fact is, even a small hatch like the A-star comes with rear power windows now, being 2L lesser than the Figo.
Karthik you actually put my thoughts in Words here. In fact, when I had been to a TD of Figo, the SE gave me an explanation like this -

"Sir, before launching FIgo in Indian Market, Ford did an extensive survey and arrived at a fact that only 30% of Indians actually use the Rear P.W. Also, if the car is involved in an accident, its easy to Get Out/Pull Out the occupants" !!

I just asked him 2 simple questions:

1. So from your first point, All other Auto Companies in India are Just dumping Cars with All Round Power Windows, without a Market Research ?

2. Since, there are no PW even on a Fully Loaded Figo with ABS and Air Bags, Ford is still sure that Car will either Roll or catch Fire often to Pull out the occupants ?

After this, the Rest of the TD was pretty silent though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post

From the photographs of the face lifted Figo, i can see the rear door remains the same with one piece glass and i doubt the facelift will get a rear power windows.
This would be a distaster right DRIVE_ADDICT!!

I mean, few of the cars like Polo, Vento, Verna, etc as well have the rear glass rolling only Half or not completely.

Imagine all the Auto Engineers start adopting this "Safety Norm" from FORD!!!!
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 13:07   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels

IMO, I strongly believe that its a convenience feature.

My two cents!
Your two cents argument is like saying all cars should have manual steering so that it'll be easier to push around when the car breaks down. Too "bad" cars today come with power steering as standard! An "inconvenience" in your books! Oh come to think of it even turn signal indicators are a bane! Should go back to the days of the Raj where you got to flap your hands like a chicken wing!

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 6th September 2012 at 13:12.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 13:22   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I fully endorse your views. And if Ford calls it a 'safety feature', then why does it provide rear power windows in the Classic and the new Fiesta? Are those cars relatively 'unsafe' compared to the Figo?

This is hogwash rationale by Ford, if you ask me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Karthik you actually put my thoughts in Words here. In fact, when I had been to a TD of Figo, the SE gave me an explanation like this -

"Sir, before launching FIgo in Indian Market, Ford did an extensive survey and arrived at a fact that only 30% of Indians actually use the Rear P.W. Also, if the car is involved in an accident, its easy to Get Out/Pull Out the occupants" !!

Imagine all the Auto Engineers start adopting this "Safety Norm" from FORD!!!!
I fully agree with Karthik. From the manufacturer's point of view how can Ford omit a feature and tell the customers that this is a safety feature or convenience factor of the car. Everyone knows that the objective behind such action is only to cut (bring down) the cost. It is quite natural that for competetive pricing of the car Ford had to sacrifice some feature here or there. But they should not give false justification for the same.

This is a very basic feature now-a-days and even my 2006 Santro Xing XO has this feature.

Most Viewed