Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2012, 20:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP! Mercedes B-Class caught testing in India!

Interesting catch! Is this B-class based on Mercedes' new FWD platform ? That would pare down costs compared to the older RWD one, or ?
Old 8th May 2012, 23:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

That car in the spy shots is coming to India in Q4. The B class compact sports tourer. mercedes designs are getting uglier and uglier and this takes it to new level. A big thumbs down. Their first attempt (R 350) is a sales dud and now this.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 08:36   #18
Team-BHP Support

It’s almost like a cross-over with a twist – a mix of a hatchback and MPV.

It may not come cheap; a quick look at the Mercedes UK website reveal that the pricing is pretty close to the C (comparing the same engine/gearbox combinations).
That said, I expect this car to do well in India. The idea of a Mercedes in 17-20 lakhs could be appealing to many. And if international reviews are to be believed, the car is a major improvement from the previous gen B, and the rear compartment space is almost close to the S-Class.

Even though not in same segment, probably a car like this can lure buyers from the C+ / D segment sedan (Jetta, Superb etc.) or even those who are looking at the Yeti or X1.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:26   #19
BHPian

I don't think the B class will find many takers here in the neighborhood of 20 Lakhs. It does not have the premium image that people in that segment are looking for. At heart, it is a mini - MPV. Merc's take on the Ertiga, if you will.

What would really get the volumes going for Mercedes is their planned sub - C class sedan (CLA class?).

Great scoop, by the way.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:56   #20
PCS
BHPian

This is really cool. Nice to hear these high end vehicles too are tested in India. Clearly, the focus on India is increasing.

My cousin, who owns an X1, was in Germany last week and had a look at the all new B-Class. Promoted as a Sports Tourer there. Interesting concept, comfort of an MPV, practicality of an SUV!!

The vehicle is apparently huge on the inside, and is more a small-MPV rather than a hatch. Its more than 4.3m in length, almost the length of many sedans in India (not fair to compare it with a hatch, I guess). He was very impressd with the interior room Mercedes have managed to generate given the dimensions. Also, quality of interiors was very high, which is expected from a Mercedes. Many design ques taken from the rocket SLS AMG.

Mercedes is creating new segments in India, and may just find a lot of takers for this concept. Lets wait and watch.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:40   #21
BHPian

Contrary to what is being said, I think if this is priced well, say in the 18 to 24 lakh ex showroom category, this is going to be a very popular car in India. India is full of people who will place Badge and brand name over practicality. The market will thus have a luxury Brand name at a D segment price. This in itself will give sales a boost.

I have seen the B class in the U.K., it is not small or bad to look at. Also from what is mentioned in one of the posts, the interior space is very well managed which is a plus point to all the 4 member family buyers out there. Lets also not forget a lot of corporates who are allowed a D segment car and were otherwise going to order an Accord or a Superb will surely consider or even go for a B class.

I think this is a brilliant strategy by MB to go for volumes. Let us not forget that for most of the country the ASPIRATIONAL vehicle to buy was always a Mercedes. I have been to a lot of interior parts of North India and folk over there do not even know what a BMW or Audi is, but the moment you say Mercedes the reply is always Merceri, referring to the old Mercedes Trucks back in the 60's or 70's. MB knows this too and I think its high time they milk it.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Interesting catch! Is this B-class based on Mercedes' new FWD platform ? That would pare down costs compared to the older RWD one, or ?
Hi Lancer_rit, This is the FWD from Mercedes. Called as the MFA Platform ( Modular Front Architecture ).
PSOPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 12:51   #23
Team-BHP Support

While this might not get volumes, it will provide a lot of learning / preparation when the A class volumes build up.

Why did VW launch the Scirocco in 1974 before the Golf? It wanted to learn about the user experience with minimum negative impact as well as iron out any teething issues before launching a popular volume model. It was VW's foray in the mass FWD market
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 18:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Some Notes :

1. This will be about 22 Ex-Showroom
2. Initial lots will be CBU till the new factory for A and B is up
3. Only petrol is expected at launch, am quite certain of this
4. Car while does not break the beauty contests in right trim and wheels does look a lot better.
5. A-Class will be the only Mercedes which will break the 20 Lac mark this is years after the original C180 was launched in early 2000's at approx 19 lac Ex-Showroom.
6. A AMG will be about 36.5 Lac Ex-Showroom, Now please do not say why but this and not a 520d / E200 etc. It will be a niche model
7. Cars once assembled will still be at the same price as CBU but you will have some more equipment and save a lot of RTO costs in few states.
8. A lot of clients are ready to buy them, we have enough base of Mercedes / BMW / Audi and other luxury car owners who are waiting for premium small cars and year on year sales will only add up very well.
9. i20 has been a huge boost to small car plans, Asta CRDI costs almost 9 Lac on road and if that can sell, A160 CDI @ 16-18 WILL sell a lot as the gap between the i20 launch and A-Class launch is at least 3 years apart and the market is maturing a lot. I am not saying A/B will sell 5-8k a month I am saying it will have enough volumes to start with.
10. Dealers will begin ordering their B's in Late July / August.

Have a good day,
S350L-E240 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 18:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Some Notes :
So there would be a price cut after the factory opens? Petrol only is a disappointment, I would think. If they manage to sell this under 20L OTR with standard mercedes luxury fare, it has the potential to be a big winner, a volume model like the 320d corp edition.
Old 9th May 2012, 22:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

No Sir,

CBU or CKD prices will be the same but your on road cost will differ if you live in states which charge double RTO tax for CBU cars.

This will not cost below 20 OTR, but depending on inflation / taxes and economy the A-Class will.

Also about it's looks like I said before it is not exactly the best thing on wheels but with a right configuration it does look nicer, and it has a very practical cabin and for it's price it might just click.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
So there would be a price cut after the factory opens? Petrol only is a disappointment, I would think. If they manage to sell this under 20L OTR with standard mercedes luxury fare, it has the potential to be a big winner, a volume model like the 320d corp edition.
Attached Images

Old 10th May 2012, 00:55   #27
BHPian

I dont understand why you people think its not going to work?!

IF Mercedes gives a diesel unit with this car and price it at around 17 lacs, I would buy it in a heartbeat!

I mean comon, whats there to complain? It is not that bad looking, It is supposed to be very spacious from inside, the interiors look good and premium, its got practicality written all over it (never knew would use the word "Practicality" for MB!) and hey... its a Merc after all!

My thinking is completely different from what you guys are thinking here... I think that IF and its a BIG IF.. Merc puts a sticker price of around 17-18 lacs with a diesel unit, it can be another XUV! in fact it can pull even the W8 AWD XUV customers!

but I highly doubt it will be anything less than 23 lacs.

in that case it has a lot of competition so it may not be a big hit!

Last edited by magikrider : 10th May 2012 at 01:01.
Old 10th May 2012, 06:19   #28
BHPian

Is it just me, or does the B-Class look very Korean?
Merc's new designs have had a fair share of quirkyness, but the lines and cuts on the side profile of the B take the styling to Hyundai territory. Anyway, at close to X1 (which isn't particularly good-looking either) prices, I don't think many people would be inclined to buy it.
Old 10th May 2012, 06:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77
Merc's new designs have had a fair share of quirkyness, but the lines and cuts on the side profile of the B take the styling to Hyundai territory. Anyway, at close to X1 (which isn't particularly good-looking either) prices, I don't think many people would be inclined to buy it.
The lines and cuts on the sides of the doors is a dead giveaway that they are using thin sheetmetal and need creases to keep the panels stiff.

Never expected this from Mercedes though. I like the earlier B-class better (will fish out the pic later and post) than this unMercedessy one.

Edit: A premium badge getting an MPVish vehicle is not a great idea - case in point is the Merc MB140 van did not sell in India.

Last edited by autocrat : 10th May 2012 at 06:56.
Old 10th May 2012, 18:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Yes now every Mercedes is Korean, a huge step back, I don't know why will anyone anymore buy a Mercedes? Maybe thats why they are planning to get the A-Class and B-Class to compete with i10 and i20?

Jokes and sarcasm apart, could it not be that it's an original theme? Could it not be that perhaps a few wonderful Korean designers worked on it? Or is it that Korean and their designers lack any skills? Can Korea not have it's own unique culture? Can Germans not think out of a box? If anyone thinks out of a Box does it automatically skip a few nations and go onto Korea? Why not Russian? Thai? Malay? or anything else?

Do show me one Korean car which has such side lines? I truly wish to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
My dear Sir,

I am not able to tell you if the sheet metal is thin or no but I can assure you that those lines / creases are not there to add any stiffness to the panels if at all they are even doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
The lines and cuts on the sides of the doors is a dead giveaway that they are using thin sheetmetal and need creases to keep the panels stiff.
Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks