Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2012, 11:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

SCOOP! Mercedes B-Class caught testing in India!

Mod Note : Please continue the discussion in the Mercedes B-Class Preview Thread.

The much anticipated volumes car from MB caught testing in Pune . Must admit , the front end looks similar to Innova in the picture.

Thanks to BHPian Kartik Krishnan for the following pictures:

SCOOP! Mercedes B-Class caught testing in India!-1.jpg

SCOOP! Mercedes B-Class caught testing in India!-2.jpg

SCOOP! Mercedes B-Class caught testing in India!-3.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 24th July 2012 at 12:14. Reason: Adding link to preview thread
fz_rider is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 14:07   #2
vij
BHPian

Re: Mercedes Benz B-Class caught testing !

Even though the car is néw, the design is uninspiring and the car wouldn't have probably got any new car like attention except for the MB badge. Diwali launch? That's something!
vij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 14:27   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice scoop.

I don't think the B-Class fits within Mercedes India's business plans. First, its looks, design & positioning will do nothing for the brand's premium'ness. Second, it's a well known fact that the B-Class is tough to price cheap. Can a (relatively) utilitarian looking Mercedes command a 15 - 20 lakh price? Indians don't like paying top looking money for MPV-ish vehicles (just ask the Aria).

Also wondering what engine options Mercedes will give the India-spec B Class as none of their current diesel range is a fit. A 1.6L petrol & a 1.8L diesel? Sure, but there will be cheaper cars with larger engines.

The B-Class is primarily sold with manual transmissions, while Mercedes India has moved completely to Automatics. Sure, there is a dual-clutch, but won't the cost go up.

I feel that the mediocre X1 did damage the BMW brand a li'l bit, but the B-Class is hugely going to take away from Mercedes India. Except for some volume, it won't give them anything. If they had a true volume competitor to the X1 & Q3, Mercedes India probably wouldn't have bothered with the B Class.

SCOOP! Mercedes B-Class caught testing in India!-mercedesbclassgermanyfebruary2012.jpg

Picture Source
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 14:37   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes Benz B-Class caught testing in India!

Here are some links about the launch:

Mercedes-Benz B-class in India - Prices, Reviews & Photos - CarWale

2012 Mercedes-Benz B-Class first drive - Overdrive

Mercedes-Benz B-Class for India| Zigwheels.com

2012 Mercedes-Benz B-Class first drive - Auto - Reviews - ibnlive

All talk about a september - october 2012 launch.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 14:53   #5
vij
BHPian

Hmm... The car is nothing exciting to look at but in this pic with the dark shade and alloys it looks good in red. In al probability will start from 21Lac OTR.

SCOOP! Mercedes B-Class caught testing in India!-11c816_014.jpg

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Please click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th May 2012 at 15:32. Reason: Hi, please see the note i've put at the end of your post. Thanks.
vij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 15:06   #6
Team-BHP Support

It certainly is going to be tough pricing this car. I'm assuming that the B-Class is sized similarly to the Jazz/Ertiga. Sure, it will have a great ride and come with typical Mercedes features and build quality. But will it be able to justify a price-tag of 25 lakhs? I'm sure the B-Class won't cost less than 20 lakhs, unless they heavily localize parts.

If they plan on localization, they're obviously looking to sell it rather than make it a halo-product. they will be expecting volumes from it, and it may not deliver if the price isn't right.

There was a time when hatchbacks costing more than 6 lakhs were looked down upon. But today, we have the top end Swift and i20 selling at 8.5 lakhs a pop. The times are changing and the market is not growing, customers are accepting niche cars slowly.

The thing is, The B-Class may be too early for a launch in India. A country where people spend 20-30 lakhs and expect a long spacious sedan or a rugged big butch SUV. Not a hatchback.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th May 2012 at 15:43. Reason: corrected typo
Old 8th May 2012, 15:12   #7
BHPian

This test mule caught may fit in well with MB's plans for India. Given that they are to invest 350 cr, they may localize the product to keep prices in check.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...350-crore.html

Also, in India, for many, MB is an aspirational brand and people may find a well priced B Class just within reach.
Old 8th May 2012, 15:15   #8
BHPian

Scoop – New Mercedes-Benz in the town!

I got lucky last weekend when I managed to get this beauty on my cam. Was travelling to Pune with my cousin and I saw this white grandeur vrooming across near the express way! The curiosity just got the better of me and I kept following the vehicle for quite a good distance. After spending 15 mins trailing the car, I wasn’t able to find the model or even the car maker for that matter. Finally had a chance to catch the driver when he got down to pee (yes! he is human)! I enquired about the car model. And like all ‘not so paparazzi friendly’ drivers, he just chucked me off by saying it’s a Mercedes-Benz. The only proud feeling I got that time was that even the driver didn’t know which Class it was! :P Please help me with this – can you let me know which model is this?

SCOOP! Mercedes B-Class caught testing in India!-dsc03350.jpg

SCOOP! Mercedes B-Class caught testing in India!-dsc03352.jpg

SCOOP! Mercedes B-Class caught testing in India!-dsc03353.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th May 2012 at 15:29. Reason: Watermark added. Thanks!
Kartik Krishnan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 15:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Production lines for A and B will be ready by Q1 2013 until then it will be a CBU, mostly only petrol.

I don't see much hope for the B, but when the A does launch in it's CKD variant I believe the car will really go high up in volumes and by then the Indian market will be mature enough for such products.

One more confirmation is that the A-Class AMG model WILL make it to India.

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 15:39   #10
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop – New Mercedes-Benz in the town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartik Krishnan View Post
I enquired about the car model. And like all ‘not so paparazzi friendly’ drivers, he just chucked me off by saying it’s a Mercedes-Benz. The only proud feeling I got that time was that even the driver didn’t know which Class it was! :P Please help me with this – can you let me know which model is this?

Attachment 924968

Attachment 924969

Attachment 924970
What you spotted was the Mercedes Benz B class which is speculated for launch at the end of the year.

Excellent pictures!
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 16:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If they had a true volume competitor to the X1 & Q3, Mercedes India probably wouldn't have bothered with the B Class.
Isn't the GLK direct competitor to X1, Q3? Or in terms of pricing GLK may be close to X3/Q5
Old 8th May 2012, 16:12   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I feel that the mediocre X1 did damage the BMW brand a li'l bit, but the B-Class is hugely going to take away from Mercedes India. Except for some volume, it won't give them anything. If they had a true volume competitor to the X1 & Q3, Mercedes India probably wouldn't have bothered with the B Class.
Agreed but don't you think the endeavour of most car manufacturers is now to expand their market presence in India. Everyone has realized the potential the Indian automobile industry has; that's why you see Hyundai with a luxury model like Sonata and MS with Kizashi.

I think eventually BMW and MB will step into the slightly less-luxury segment soon enough; ultimately, it is about revenues!
Old 8th May 2012, 17:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Isn't the GLK direct competitor to X1, Q3? Or in terms of pricing GLK may be close to X3/Q5
GLK is bigger than the X1 and Q3 and competes with the X3 Q5 worldwide in terms of specs, engines, price etc.

B-class in India. I believe it has been significantly updated recently, remember reading some such thing online. Now Audi needs no invite to bring the A3 (which will have a sedan version also from 2013).
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 18:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling MBIL is testing the platform which will spawn future variants like a mini SUV (Tiguan/X1/Q3), rather than the B-class itself.
Old 8th May 2012, 19:33   #15
BHPian

Re: SCOOP! Mercedes B-Class caught testing in India!

Really liked the red car and it looks cool.

Also got some more snaps of Interiors online. Got this image from the mb UK website of the interiors. Liked the interiors especially the vents.

Intresting to see a lot these cars ( Like Mini , Q3 and the B Class , Though not a straight competition) on Indian roads. Its gonna be an interesting segment developing in India.
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP! Mercedes B-Class caught testing in India!-11c665_2011.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed