I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2012, 11:24   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I dont have a sun film in my current cars. I believe the tints provided by the manufacturer is quite adequate for most of the conditions and films also makes the car claustrophobic.

I guess some states in India have already follow this. I remember paying fine in Madhya Pradesh and Jharkhand for having Sun Film in our car(in 2009).
I too never had any film in my cars. I find the visibility is impaired at night with any film.

All my cars bought in the last 10 years have a light tint, which is good enough. Of course dark tints help when the sun is shining directly, but the cons are not worth it.

I also find dark tints on a vehicle in front, especially on SUV impair my vision when I want to look at the traffic through the vehicle. On the whole I welcome the ban.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 11:50   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Mod Note: Moved posts discussing methods of removal of sunfilm to this thread. Please use this thread to discuss reactions to the Sun Film verdict only.
Old 20th May 2012, 20:42   #168
BHPian

Decided to "wait & watch". Apparently, even the "authorities" are bemused [I spoke to someone who is a family member] and wondering how even they can "squeeze out" of this shady issue. Even though the SC verdict stands as it is, maybe it's up to every state's individual machinery to implement it [in their own way]!
Old 20th May 2012, 22:44   #169
Senior - BHPian

Initially i thought of waiting and watching how things will turn out, but I have got my car's film removed as they were of a bit darker shade and would surely attract the cop's attention.
Old 20th May 2012, 23:15   #170
Senior - BHPian

Got my sun film removed on Friday. Since I had very light tints anyway, I don't feel the difference. Except for driving in the night, when I am being followed by idiots with high beams on ... constantly having to flick the day/night mirror is getting a bit too irritating!
Old 21st May 2012, 08:43   #171
Senior - BHPian

If you are travelling interstate its best to not have any sunfilm on.. atleast you wont be harassed for sunfilm being a non local.
I took off the film from my car windows yesterday. I feel the car looks a lot fresher now. The shop removed the film in 20 mins for 100 bucks. Ive got stick on removable foldable sunshades on all the windows now from the inside and these seem more effective in killing the glare and the heat and are removable when the police check.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 13:22   #172
Senior - BHPian

Chennai cops have started checking for film. I saw cops penalising those with sun-film at atleast 3 locations on my drive from home to work today - at Gemini flyover, under the Medavakkam flyover and on the Chennai-One road (kuppai road).

They were using visual scanning and targetting those with dark film. I did see some cars being waved away even though they have film on (but lighter variety). Could see film flying around on the road - so apart from fining, I guess they are also stripping it off.
At Gemini, saw a Benz SUV stopped and being fined. At other places, saw even cabbies being stopped. Overall, looks like Chennai cops have swung into action.
Old 21st May 2012, 13:36   #173
Senior - BHPian

Us bangloreans have time till the 5th of June to get rid of tints from cars. Thanks to many of the IT industries and other important people requesting for some more time. Our police commissioner was kind enough to give us all time till 5th of June.

I'll really get my hand burnt this time, just tinted the CRV about two months back and now having to remove them. Quite reluctant but Im even more reluctant to pay these cops any bribes or fines. So i intend to take it off by the 1st of June or so.

Im surprised the chennai cops are acting so tough, I thought the big shots would get a free waiver.

According to the law, isnt it illegal to use any tints except the ones that come from the manufacturer itself? Its what i remember reading, someone please advise.
Old 21st May 2012, 13:40   #174
BHPian

How Funny is this !!!

You cannot have sunfilms in your car.

But you can have curtains in the car .

Makes absolute sense right ???
Old 21st May 2012, 13:53   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Chennai cops have started checking for film. I saw cops penalising those with sun-film at atleast 3 locations on my drive from home to work today - at Gemini flyover, under the Medavakkam flyover and on the Chennai-One road (kuppai road).
I normally take the Gemini - ECR or Gemini - OMR to reach my office at Navalur. Today I had taken the Chennai bypass and hence did not see anyone getting stopped. I need to look for alternative routes now.

Regards
Raghu
Old 21st May 2012, 14:13   #176
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Will wait for the order to change. I somehow feel the order is not really well thought and will be changed. Also there is a chance that in the initial days cars with really dark tints will be caught first so plan to wait it out.

Another major point is that all people are not even aware of the law (or rather the change in the law). My wife for example knows about it through me who knew about it first through TBHP not the newspapers or the tv news either.

Of course if a month down the line if the change in order is not in sight and if all seem to be removing their tints and if the the police indeed seem to be taking action, then I too will remove mine. In the meanwhile do also have one car without tints that I can drive around.

Last edited by ACM : 21st May 2012 at 14:18.
Old 21st May 2012, 14:28   #177
BHPian

I got my sunfilm removed because I had to cross the state border. If this trip wouldn't have been there, I would have waited for the June 5th deadline and see how things goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I too never had any film in my cars. I find the visibility is impaired at night with any film.

All my cars bought in the last 10 years have a light tint, which is good enough. Of course dark tints help when the sun is shining directly, but the cons are not worth it.

I also find dark tints on a vehicle in front, especially on SUV impair my vision when I want to look at the traffic through the vehicle. On the whole I welcome the ban.
I haven't installed sunfilm on my new cars. On my old car, the showroom guys put some film of their choice as it is free. But seeing the quality of the film, I wanted to remove it the next day itself. But thinking of the consequences like damaging the FM antenna and defogger, did it only now as there is a reason now.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st May 2012 at 15:12. Reason: merged posts
Old 21st May 2012, 15:15   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Just to clarify, by Medavakkam-flyover, I meant the flyover near Kamakshi hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k
I normally take the Gemini - ECR or Gemini - OMR to reach my office at Navalur. Today I had taken the Chennai bypass and hence did not see anyone getting stopped. I need to look for alternative routes now.
Once the Chennai cops start it, they are going to be all over the place - so expect them at various locations in the coming days as they make hay while the sun shines (pun intended).

My only grouse is the traffic jams created due to them screening cars for film - they erect these barriers so that everyone has to slow down and then they pull over the cars with dark films.

One thing is since they are relying on visual screening, if you have those films which are light in colour (but block sunrays), then you are good. I even saw them letting go cars that I could make out as having film, but a lighter shade - only the "daaark" ones were being pulled over.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 21st May 2012 at 15:17.
Old 21st May 2012, 19:14   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One thing is since they are relying on visual screening, if you have those films which are light in colour (but block sunrays), then you are good. I even saw them letting go cars that I could make out as having film, but a lighter shade - only the "daaark" ones were being pulled over.
This sounds logically. Actually speaking the court should have cracked down on dark films. I have light film inspite of the large glass area of the Jazz. Hope Chennai PD allows this. An article in the Hindu also talks about police going to fine dark films. Hope it stays that way.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 21st May 2012 at 19:15.
Old 21st May 2012, 19:43   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Once the Chennai cops start it, they are going to be all over the place - so expect them at various locations in the coming days as they make hay while the sun shines (pun intended).
Not just Chennai, it has been started in all Tier2 towns of Tamilnadu as well. Police issued a news report setting a deadline of May 25, 2012 for removing darker sun films in Madurai.

The Hindu writes that Coimbatore Police Commissioner is saying, "Rule 100 (11) of the Central Motor Vehicle Rule (CMVR) banned the use of tinted films.". Is that so? If it's already a rule, how come tinted films has to be banned again by an SC order?

Here is the link of The Hindu news.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks