I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2012, 16:24   #211
BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Removing the glue residue from the windows is becoming a bigger pain than I initially thought. I am not sure if the installer installed cheap quality film instead of 3M when I did it 3 years ago. But there is a complete layer of residue througout the window pane. I used scotchbrite, Mr.muscle and Amway See spray sprays trying to get them off. But end up with a severe pain on my right hand after cleaing the rear and 2 side windows. Two more windows are left which i will continue and finish only next week.
Old 28th May 2012, 16:53   #212
BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
My Fortuner has sunfilm on it. I got challaned today..the catch was the cop had to ask me if there was any sunfilm installed or was he mistaking Tinted Glass as Sunfilm.
Quite unfortunate. Since its too light, you could have told that it came pre-installed from factory. He might have argued by seeing the glass edge. Govt makes rules to squeeze money out of us. First they allow us to install them where they get VAT and service tax and then ask us to remove them where they again get service tax and fine money from cops.
Old 28th May 2012, 16:56   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
I used scotchbrite, Mr.muscle and Amway See spray sprays ......
Don't use scotchbrite. It has a tendency to scratch the glass.

Rajan
Old 28th May 2012, 16:57   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Removing the glue residue from the windows is becoming a bigger pain than I initially thought. I am not sure if the installer installed cheap quality film instead of 3M when I did it 3 years ago. But there is a complete layer of residue througout the window pane. I used scotchbrite, Mr.muscle and Amway See spray sprays trying to get them off. But end up with a severe pain on my right hand after cleaing the rear and 2 side windows. Two more windows are left which i will continue and finish only next week.
It may not be a 3M one as branded films come off very neatly. Even on our car it took 3 hours for 3M care center guys to remove the films, still some glue is left behind. He said its a local brand. Skoda gave us some cheap ones though sold us saying 3M film.
Old 28th May 2012, 19:04   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
the judgement says no material is to be "pasted" on the glasses. Curtain does not get pasted on the glass, so you should be good. Just have a copy of the judgement in your car
I asked the cop if those black wire netting sun visors were fine. He said and i quote "woh chipkoo??!! haan haan woh laga lijiye lekin film hata dijiyega" (that stickey thing??!! yes yes you can use those but get the sunfilm removed")

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
It may not be a 3M one as branded films come off very neatly. Even on our car it took 3 hours for 3M care center guys to remove the films, still some glue is left behind. He said its a local brand. Skoda gave us some cheap ones though sold us saying 3M film.
Original 3M film has the watermark of "3M" running along its length with 50% or 70% clearly marked on it also. In my case it is 70% light penetration.

There is also a guarantee card kept separately in the glove box and a small 3M sticker which is applied to the top of the windscreen that assures you of the genuineness of the product.

Its pretty heat and UV resistant. But i shall be buying a stock of "chipkoos"soon.

The irony is that they offer much less visibility and are much more dangerous at night as they completely block the view both inward and outwards. I have seen people get distracted as they fall of the window on to them when they are driving and also reattaching the same while driving.

I am disappointed with the Supreme Court. One would expect them to more level headed surely. "But the Law" as they say.."is the Law" and abide by it we shall.
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 19:34   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj
But i shall be buying a stock of "chipkoos"soon.

The irony is that they offer much less visibility and are much more dangerous at night
Are you sure you want to buy those for night? You can easily remove them after sunset.
Old 28th May 2012, 20:10   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Are you sure you want to buy those for night? You can easily remove them after sunset.
hahaha!! ..i dont intend to buy them for night time but in many cases when they have been put on the windows one tends to remove them from the window nearest ones self. The other windows specially the rear doors are too far to reach while seated on the drivers seat so these tend to get left on.

It is these ones that can hamper views. In the Fortuner its tough to even reach the front passenger door from the drivers seat once you are belted up.
Old 29th May 2012, 16:53   #218
BHPian

I am not sure if this has been posted earlier, but we must spread this message! Sign this petition and spread the word!

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-...e_button_modal

Last edited by viper_711 : 29th May 2012 at 16:57.
Old 31st May 2012, 11:15   #219
BHPian

Hi guys,
I have a plausible but bizarre theory to the sun film verdict. Maybe Sun film manufacturers are not pushing for a stay immediately, as it is beneficial to them in the long run. Consider this. The present market demand for sunfilms is largely for new vehicles. Now, in this present scenario, if a stay comes into effect, we will go back to refitting sun films for our cars. So, this ruling is creating demand for sun film manufacturers by the day, as one more day for filing for stay means more business" at the end of the day".

To quote Cardinal Richelieu, "Give me six lines written by the most honest man in the world, and I will find enough in them to hang him." So to find some legal loop hole in this supreme court verdict should not be that hard. Just my thought.
Old 1st June 2012, 06:06   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy
Hi guys,
I have a plausible but bizarre theory to the sun film verdict. Maybe Sun film manufacturers are not pushing for a stay immediately, as it is beneficial to them in the long run.
Yes Neil. This theory has been the theme, so to say, of all recent sun film threads on TBHP lately. The silence of the manufacturers on this issue, including the dealers is very discomforting. There must be something that we the general public don't know. That's the reason I've postponed pulling the film off my car till now.
Old 1st June 2012, 06:38   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch

Yes Neil. This theory has been the theme, so to say, of all recent sun film threads on TBHP lately. The silence of the manufacturers on this issue, including the dealers is very discomforting. There must be something that we the general public don't know. That's the reason I've postponed pulling the film off my car till now.
The only reason, you'll realise if you've been reading the other thread (the large one), is that the window film manufacturers and installers have been blatantly disregarding the CMV Rule 100(2) from Day 1.

When your car's glass already comes with a VLT of around 85% (+/- a few %) from the factory, fitting 70% VLT film on the windscreens takes it below the permissible VLT limit for windscreen (0.85 * 0.7 = 0.595 or 59.5% VLT).

They were happily selling "RTO approved" film all these days when the reality is that the ultimate VLT of the glass + film was *never* CMV rule-compliant.

Simply put, the manufacturers have no case. Their honeymoon period is up.

I guess 3M, with their CR90 film (as yet unavailable in India) perhaps comes closest to having a legal case. However, the business case isn't too strong to push. The mango man just can't afford CR90 (front + rear) and CR70 (all sides). So there's no point pursuing the legal one, especially when chances of this ruling getting reversed are about as close to 0% VLT (no light at the end of the tunnel) as they come.

Regards,
spadix
Old 1st June 2012, 10:02   #222
BHPian

my reaction - o teri !

I have got the factory fitted ones. I will wait this out and bet against this rule being put into effect with any regularity especially in smaller cities
vroomsome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 16:34   #223
BHPian

my reaction - *did not install the sun film*. My car got delivered after the verdict came up but before the cops in Chennai started acting on the verdict. Decided to hold on.

This verdict and the subsequent feedback from people in this forum and installers has proven one thing i.e 3M scores over Garware in one the ease of removal which may negate the lower cost advantage of Garware considering other specs being the same. . I was seriously contemplating Garware Icecool series for my new car considering its VFM nature but will have to think thrice in case the ruling get amended to allow films of VLT 70/50.
Old 1st June 2012, 16:48   #224
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Don't use scotchbrite. It has a tendency to scratch the glass.

Rajan
Yes. I thought so too. But using a plain cloth was becoming painful. Hence resorted to scotchbrite. I did not see it scratching the glass. This could be because there was so much glue residue stuck to the scitchbrite that it smoothened out the rough edges by the time glass is reached.

But you are right. I also dont recommend using scotch brite as it has tendency to scratch glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
ameaa, you can be right. The front windscreen which used CR70 had the 3M watermarks visible right from day 1. However, the side and rear did not have it. I initially thought it could be because the tints were too dark. Now I realize I had been duped before.

But all these 3 years, the sun films on the side gave me very good protection from heat during daytime and also gave excellent visibility during night time driving even though the films were dark. Hence I had never doubted its genuineness before. Now with a complete layer of glue after removal I think these can be fakes.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd June 2012 at 12:39. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 1st June 2012, 17:05   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I thought so too. But using a plain cloth was becoming painful. Hence resorted to scotchbrite.......
I also dont recommend using scotch brite as it has tendency to scratch glass.
As a matter of fact, though it sounds wierd, steel wool is a better choice. Just make sure the area is wet and well lubricated and rub with steel wool gently, with minimum pressure and the glue will come off easily, without scratching the glass. The problem with scotchbrite is, we tend to apply pressure as it is soft to the touch, as compared to steel wool, we end up with scratches on the glass.

Now, I have to find a way to remove the scratches

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 1st June 2012 at 17:06. Reason: Deleted misplaced smiley
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed