I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2012, 17:13   #226
BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Mine was Lumar , it came out clean and easy. Not even 1 drop of glue left behind.

Just pull out the film very gently.
Old 1st June 2012, 17:24   #227
Senior - BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Removing the glue residue from the windows is becoming a bigger pain than I initially thought. I am not sure if the installer installed cheap quality film instead of 3M when I did it 3 years ago. But there is a complete layer of residue througout the window pane. I used scotchbrite, Mr.muscle and Amway See spray sprays trying to get them off. But end up with a severe pain on my right hand after cleaing the rear and 2 side windows. Two more windows are left which i will continue and finish only next week.
Gopi, most of the guys i have seen removing the glue are either using those paper cutter blades or the thin Putty blade that you get at H/W shops. It doesnt scratch the glass and removes glue well. mix some petrol in your cleaner but ensure it doesnt leak inside the door.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 19:59   #228
BHPian

I removed the Huper Optik film on my Cedia myself. Came off in one piece. As mentioned by others, removing the glue requires time and patience.

I tried a few things. I had most success with Colin and a car washing sponge (I already had a Sonax sponge at home). Sprayed Colin onto the sponge and wiped the glass. Worked on small areas till the full glass was covered. Only trouble is the sponge is too big - hard to get glue off near the edges for which I was forced to use cloth, fingers. Toughest area is the bottom edge of the rear windscreen.

Please don't use Scotch brite - takes off glue quickly, but it scratches the glass no matter how careful you are.

Last edited by CBlazer : 1st June 2012 at 20:01.
Old 2nd June 2012, 08:46   #229
Team-BHP Support

All those from B'lore - the writing is clear on the wall. It is 2nd June already and no news of a further extension.

So, all those who've voted for option 5, time to peel 'em films off? :P
Old 3rd June 2012, 16:07   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
All those from B'lore - the writing is clear on the wall. It is 2nd June already and no news of a further extension.

So, all those who've voted for option 5, time to peel 'em films off? :P
Yes indeed. I was one of them Cannot wait any longer now. Pulled off the film from my car today!
Old 3rd June 2012, 17:24   #231
BHPian

While most of us bhpians had to remove our sunfilm(excluding me!) My friend put new films on his Honda brio just a week back.50 % vlt for the sides and 70 in front!!! I was surprised and told him that these films are banned by the supreme court. He replied saying that he asked the showroom guys and the RTO guys and both said that films lower than 50% VLT cannot be put anything above is allowed!! Whats going on?? Is this allowed in other non metro places in India??He was given the films as a free accessory so if he is made to remove it wont pinch his pocket!

Can new car buyers here in Goa go ahead and put films within this limit?? It seems most showrooms offer this as free and unsuspecting customers lap it up!

Thanks.
Old 3rd June 2012, 17:38   #232
BHPian

I removed it from my car myself (DIY).

My car Honda City ZX and had 3M sunfilm on sides and rear. did a wait and watch approach till now, but heard that the rule is going to be strict in Bangalore. I also have planned trip through KA, TN and Kerala in the coming week with my family, and dont want to be stuck / delayed on my trip with cop playing those games. Hence a quick decision to remove and did it on the usual lazy sunday afternoon post lunch today.

Bought a putty blade for 5 Rs from the hardware shop nearby, carried some water and colin spray with some clothes. The side glass were pretty easy and there were no residue left. The rear glass had some amount of glue/residue and I cleaned it myself with water, colin etc. Altogether it was a 1 hour job approximately.

narayanang76
Old 4th June 2012, 00:59   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

It is shocking to hear that the RTO and dealers are still not clear with what the law is. I am rather amused since there seems to be such strict action being taken in Delhi and some other cities which is in total contrast to other places. For instance in Gujarat there doesn't seem to be any cop interested in enforcing the law. No one is stopping the cars here for tints and life is as it was before the judgement. Why this discrepancy?
Old 4th June 2012, 07:11   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

For Bangalore motorists.

Quote:
The deadline issued to motorists to remove the tint will end on Tuesday
Quote:
First-time offenders will have to cough up fine of Rs 100. Second-time offenders will have to pay Rs 300. Third-timers stand to lose their driving licence.

Your deadline to remove sun film ends tomorrow - The Times of India
Old 4th June 2012, 08:13   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
While most of us bhpians had to remove our sunfilm(excluding me!) My friend put new films on his Honda brio just a week back.50 % vlt for the sides and 70 in front!!! I was surprised and told him that these films are banned by the supreme court. He replied saying that he asked the showroom guys and the RTO guys and both said that films lower than 50% VLT cannot be put anything above is allowed!! Whats going on?? Is this allowed in other non metro places in India??He was given the films as a free accessory so if he is made to remove it wont pinch his pocket!

Can new car buyers here in Goa go ahead and put films within this limit?? It seems most showrooms offer this as free and unsuspecting customers lap it up!

Thanks.
My Dads friend bought a Indica last week and the dealer said the same story and was about to put a 3M sunfilm for Rs. 3500. Once we asked for money back if cops removes the sunfilm, the dealer was not willing to proceed with this deal. So, its more of dealers trying to push the existing stocks to people who are not clear about the supreme court verdict.
Old 4th June 2012, 08:34   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Yes indeed. I was one of them Cannot wait any longer now. Pulled off the film from my car today!
Same here :(

I went out on sunday afternoon and used the a/c; I could literally see the fuel indicator needle moving towards E!

My appt. had called someone to remove films from the cars; there was film lying all over the parking lots. And those idiots used blades to remove films; made a mess of the glass and removal. I bet they didn't take any precaution to remove film of a rear windshield with defogger.

If only everyone could spare half n hour to remove the tints.
Old 4th June 2012, 09:38   #237
BHPian

Got the film off my Alto K10 over the weekend. Many people came over to speak to me.

I got a lot of suggestions when I was working on the K10's glasses. Many people told me they had ripped off the film, but didn't know how to get the glue off.

People were telling me they were hoping for another extension. I probably would have been in the same boat had it not been for Tbhp. I told them the police meant business this time. I even enlightened a few about how the police in New Delhi hadn't even bothered giving deadlines and notices.

A few people were even upset to see me remove the films. They almost had the "You too, Brutus?" expression on their face.
Old 4th June 2012, 09:53   #238
Senior - BHPian

I waited till the last minute for a miracle. That did not happen. I woke up at 6.30 am, thinking I'd need a lot of time to remove sunfilms. But my 3.5 year old films came off in 5 minutes. I just had to make a ear in a corner with my fingernail, and pull them off. Not a trace left behind.

I don't what brand the sunfilms are. They were fitted by RK in Mangalore.

I did not remove the sunfilm on rear windshield, because they help in night-driving.

I expected cops at Sarjapur road fire station, ORR-Sarjapur road junction and Graphite India junction. But I found none! May be I was a little early, because the film removal job got over a lot quicker than expected .
Old 4th June 2012, 09:53   #239
Senior - BHPian

Given my bike for servicing. Check.
Taking my car out for long spin today. Check.
Preparations to ground my car for a week. Check.

I am ready to fight this losing battle now.
Old 4th June 2012, 10:20   #240
Senior - BHPian

Removed film on one of my car on my own, the other car will be grounded for sometime until there is more clarity as to whats in store in future.

Now my response, no buying sun-film for next two years, let these 3M and other folks understand that as a customer this is my response to them for seeing short term earning opportunity in this mess by not moving faster on the stay order.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks