I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2012, 10:53   #241
BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Got my 5 month old VKOOL sunfilm removed from my XUV yesterday (DIY)

did not have to do any sort of window cleaning as the film did not leave any gum traces.

at the end of the day it was 4k down the drain :-(
Old 4th June 2012, 11:23   #242
BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

I was fined for Sun film on Saturday (OMR - near Asiana). Paid Rs 100. Yesterday removed the 3M CR from my side windoes. Now I have glue residue to deal with. Made driving difficult in the night with the residue.

Guys! would this Putty blade remove the glue completely and not scratch the glass? Or should I use Petrol/Turpentine to remove them? Please advise.
Old 4th June 2012, 11:33   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post

Now my response, no buying sun-film for next two years, let these 3M and other folks understand that as a customer this is my response to them for seeing short term earning opportunity in this mess by not moving faster on the stay order.
to you.

If only everyone would resolve the same! It would be a fitting reply to these companies from us customers!

On the other hand, was in Delhi last month for 2 weeks. Man, I could pity with the people there! Down here in Bangalore sunfilms arent an absolute necessity. Most car A/Cs would be good enough to keep you comfortable all the time. But over there in Delhi A/C felt helpless (drove around in my FIL's new i10 and i10 is supposed to have very good A/C.) I sold my i10 there during that time that had sunfilms (Garware IceKool ones) and I could feel the difference very much in the two cars. Car A/Cs without sunfilms arent the same, especially in hot cities like Delhi
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 13:08   #244
BHPian

IMO, the SC should have allowed sun films that allow visibility of 50% or more, instead of banning them altogether. If you don't have sun film it has a lot of disadvantages - AC becomes ineffective in hot sun, total lack of privacy, mom's can't feed their babies in the car, you need to be wary of thieves as you can't leave anything in the car.
su48 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 15:19   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Or should I use Petrol/Turpentine to remove them? Please advise.
do not use chemical treatment especially petrol products. I still have some petrol smell in the car (after 20 days of DIY). Use the blade slowly with Mr. Muscle. If you can use a steamer, on hot day with the car "baked" in the sun for a couple of direct sunlight. That helps in the easy removal.

There are 2 threads on DIY and one on "what not to do".

let me if you can't find them.
Old 5th June 2012, 23:27   #246
BHPian

This is what happens when the Supreme Court tries to do things in the interest of justice without going into the details about its outcome .

Furthermore , The Motor Vehicle Act, 1939 , Section 100 subclause (2) clearly states the requirements for the amount of VLT :-
"The glass of the windscreen and rear window of every motor vehicle shall be such and shall be maintained in such a condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 70%. The glasses used for side windows are such and shall be maintained in such condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 50%, and shall conform to Indian Standards "

It clearly states that there should be 70% visibility for the front and rear windscreen and 50% for the side windows . However an important thing mentioned in this subclause is the part underlined "and shall be maintained " this means that i have all the rights to do what ever i have to do to the glasses of my car unless and untill i am not infringing the required minimum VLT .

The SC should have realized that Car Manufacturers provide Tinted Glasses which have a transparency of way lesser than 70% and 50% and hence the court should have left some relief for the citizens .

And to make matters worse , Honorable Justice Swatanter Kumar has left no scope for any "alternatives".

As the judgment states and i quote "For the reasons afore-stated, we prohibit the use of black films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country ."

This means that one can not even use things like roller blinds and curtains or any other sought of thing to stop the heat !.

And worst of all was the reason given for the complete ban on sun films which is evident from the following statement made " A device called luxometer can measure the level of opaqueness in windows owing to the application of black films but this device is a scarce resource and is very scantily available with the police personnel in India "

Just because a device which can actually measure the opaqueness of the windows is "scantily" available with the police personals is not a just enough reason for punishing those by ripping of their sun films who have paid thousands of rupees to get their sun films in the first place and that to within the VLT limit . Instead of actually punishing those who have gone beyond the legal limit by putting a dark sun film and have disobeyed the law , the court is also punishing those who are innocent !!

Although i have boundless respect for the supreme court's rulings and mind you some of them are really brilliant , the complete ban on sun films is simply unacceptable !

Last edited by Enigmatic : 5th June 2012 at 23:29.
Old 6th June 2012, 21:29   #247
BHPian

This is what is happening in Bangalore in few areas:

You reach a traffic signal, cops pull you up for having sun film on glass; you pay Rs 100 fine with receipt. You are also warned to remove it. You move on and reach another traffic signal and cops pull you up again, you show the receipt but that does not matter to them, again billed for Rs 100 fine! And it happens again at the third traffic light . My friend showed me all the three receipts. Guess what we were doing DIY sun film job on his car for last two hours.

By the way, sun film order got implemented today in Bangalore. Have to experience it first hand. Haven't removed the films yet but I guess would have to.

Last edited by ambujlal : 6th June 2012 at 21:31. Reason: Added more information
Old 6th June 2012, 21:34   #248
Senior - BHPian

Someone audit the honorable justice's cars and all cars of the Supreme Court and the Police Dept., to see if they have complied first with the order.
Old 6th June 2012, 21:38   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
This is what is happening in Bangalore in few areas:

My friend showed me all the three receipts. Guess what we were doing DIY sun film job on his car for last two hours.
What the hell? According to the announcement made, you friend's license must have been suspended now and he must be Rs.700 poorer

However, your friend has a very strong case to drag BTP to court on contempt of court charges. When they stop and fine first, they should have removed the film too.

Rajan
Old 7th June 2012, 08:24   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
but this device is a scarce resource and is very scantily available with the police personnel in India " Just because a device which can actually measure the opaqueness of the windows is "scantily" available with the police personals is not a just enough reason for punishing those by ripping of their sun films who have paid thousands of rupees to get their sun films in the first place and that to within the VLT limit .
You hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what has happened. They realized that they cannot practically implement this in a scientific manner, therefore decided to take the safe way out and ban all sun films. As is always the case even law abiding citizens who chose light films have to suffer.

Of course the law of the land also allows people to challenge the decision in court. I'm pretty sure a few months down the line sun films will be legal again. But I guess they might actually make a physical RTO inspection (with the film) mandatory. Might mean more hassle for us and more work for the RTO, but I'll be happy to go through it as long as the law is uniformly implemented.
CBlazer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 07:52   #251
BHPian

Have been lucky till now. I had a manufacturers sun film (3M) with a very light shade. No cops have had any issues in this regard yet.
Old 9th June 2012, 14:54   #252
Senior - BHPian

The wait and watch strategy wasn't really working out as I had expected.

Ground the car for 5 weeks but I've increasingly been finding it hard to do that. There's always something or the other that comes up that needs me to use the ca, so I got rid of them (DIY) today. Details at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2803467

So that's one less for option 5 and one more for option 1 on the poll.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 9th June 2012 at 15:20.
Old 9th June 2012, 15:12   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
The wait and watch strategy wasn't really working out as I had expected.

Ground the car for 5 weeks but I've increasingly been finding it hard to do that. There's always something or the other that comes up that needs me to use the ca, so I got rid of them (DIY) today.

So that's one less for option 5 and one more for option 1 on the poll.

Regards,
spadix
Me too. Removed the films myself from the car. It was a very easy job, thanks to the 3M. All the films came off in one piece (including rear glass with defogger) with very less glue residing on glasses. Removed the residue glue using a wet cloth. Entire procedure took about an hour including glass cleaning .
Old 10th June 2012, 16:43   #254
Senior - BHPian

As reported earlier, i had removed the sunfilms on Baleno today sat down for cleaning the glue. Its quiet a pain to remove it completely.

Later saw three boys removing sunfilm on other cars and they were doing a decent job. Asked them to do it on my Civic. Took them 3 hours, again glue is really painful to remove, the film itself took 5 mins to come out in one piece. The glue took another 2-3 hours. Cannot take chances as there are quiet a few long drives coming up this month, one to Goa already over.

Finally both cars are without sunfilm, will keep this way for ever, so much pain for nothing. Might buy those vacuum sticky's to reduce the harshness of the sun.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 10th June 2012 at 16:44.
Old 11th June 2012, 19:12   #255
Senior - BHPian

In memory of your EX-Sun-films

After the Supreme Court order we have several threads on this forum all about sun films. Be it about criticising the order or for legal alternatives or probably just how to remove the current sun films as a DIY. I am aware that being auto enthusiasts there are several here who pamper our cars to no extent and go all out while adding the best possible accessories for our cars not only for comfort and convenience but also for looks and the cool quotient.

I am starting this thread in the memory of the sun-films we had added to our cars. The same sun-film which protected us from the scorching heat of the Summer Sun, the same sun-film that gave us some privacy while in our vehicles out there on the tarmac jungle what we call - City traffic, the same sun-film that protected our glasses from shattering in case of any mishap, the same sun-film that got us to pay fines to cops due to their darkness, the same sun-films which we are being made to remove....oh never mind now!! So why not start a poll about the amount we spent on them and include some details in your posts on this thread, you never know when it may be of help in case the order is revoked in the future. Here goes:

Car: Ritz
Brand: Garware
Transparency: 50% sides and back
FR windscreen: No
Cost: Rs. 1,150/
Installed at: Opera House, Mumbai

Last edited by S2!!! : 11th June 2012 at 19:18.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks