I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2012, 20:35   #256
BANNED

Re: In memory of your EX-Sun-films

This damn govt., has been playing with we citizens from the day they were bought to power, Damn We and our Stupid votes. Most of we guys have removed them, and if the rule is revoked, we are the one's who looses the money First for Installing them and Second for getting them Removed.

If a rule is Implemented, IT IS IMPLEMENTED... Why haggle around with it in the last 60 days
Old 12th June 2012, 06:34   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM
This damn govt., has been playing with we citizens from the day they were bought to power, Damn We and our Stupid votes.
Can't understand why you are blaming the Govt. for this. This is a supreme court ruling in response to a petition filed. The ruling is basically for better implementation of the law which already existed as per the MV Act.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 07:20   #258
BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Can't understand why you are blaming the Govt. for this. This is a supreme court ruling in response to a petition filed. The ruling is basically for better implementation of the law which already existed as per the MV Act.
It is fashionable now to blame the government for anything that happens in our country. At least we blame our own government for something it did not do. In other developing countries, they blame the US Government.
Old 12th June 2012, 07:30   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
It is fashionable now to blame the government for anything that happens in our country. At least we blame our own government for something it did not do. In other developing countries, they blame the US Government.

Even we are pretty good at blaming others for most things these days right from Team anna's sponsors to NGOs.

But having said that, we really need to take a good hard look at our system. There has to be some mechanism to counter such bad judgements at the earliest. I read in one of the posts that the court is on vacation and an appeal can only be admitted on 2 july. Now this is something not acceptable. Either they should not pass any judgements just before going on vacation or there should be a way to take a stop order in the meantime. Right now we have to just suffer. Either get rid of the expensive films which were legal to begin with or resort to alternative transport arrangements in the hope of some miracle to happen.
Old 12th June 2012, 10:52   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are right! I blame the US Govt. If the US Govt. had made it compulsory for Auto makers in their country to install sun films in all cars produced, our lawyers could have argued on this point and probably could have convinced the Judge to dismiss the petition
Old 12th June 2012, 14:13   #261
BHPian

Quote:
The ruling is basically for better implementation of the law which already existed as per the MV Act.
Please read this article in today's Hindu about whether the law has been correctly interpreted. The Hindu : NATIONAL / KARNATAKA : Did Supreme Court verdict err on banning sun films?
Daewood is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 14:26   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Please read this article in today's Hindu about whether the law has been correctly interpreted. The Hindu : NATIONAL / KARNATAKA : Did Supreme Court verdict err on banning sun films?
Ok so we all knew from first that the SC judges either did not understand or could not express what they said clearly. So now they might review the order and probably end up saying that the permissible limit is 70%VLT FR and Rear windscreen and 50% on the sides. It will be outrageous if they do this and would be really frustrating for all those who stripped their films and even more for those who were fined and made to strip their films while they were within the permissible limits.

Thank God, the cops here in Mumbai are not cracking down guys with sun films atleast as on now.
Old 12th June 2012, 15:40   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
That is the problem with so many laws in our country. The wordings are so vague, that different people end up interpreting them differently. Guess that's why there is the right to appeal to higher courts. Unfortunately in this case it is the Supreme court that has given the verdict. We ordinary citizens don't have much choice , do we?

Having said that, I have grounded my car with expensive 3M sun films and am driving around in my old beat up Santro (with no films of course) hoping against hope that the Apex Court issues a clarification of sorts allowing use of films which are within prescribed VLT limts.
Old 12th June 2012, 15:48   #264
BHPian

For those who know their rights and laws well, there should be no issues. eg: Those who did not remove sun film that has permissible VLT.
Old 12th June 2012, 16:04   #265
BHPian

Quote:
For those who know their rights and laws well, there should be no issues. eg: Those who did not remove sun film that has permissible VLT.
The bangalore police do not have a lux meter, as admitted by them in FB page.

I can buy my own lux meter ($99.00 + shipping), but then most likely, they will still fine me Rs. 100, rip off my film and confiscate the lux meter as well.

I can ground the car - I commute by bicycle anyway, but becomes a problem in the weekends.

Rajan
Old 14th June 2012, 19:54   #266
BHPian

If the government has difficulties in purchasing sufficient lux metres, then atleast they can purchase a couple metres for a RTO, and then give about a couple of months for all the vehicles to go to the respective RTO's and check the legality of their sunfilm. If it is within permissible level, then the RTO can stick a sticker/hologram in the vehicle. Traffic cops can just fine the vehicles without this sticker. I think this is perfectly easy to implement this way.

If all car dealers fix the sunfilm while delivering the car, then this process can be done during the registration stage itself.
Optimus7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 16:31   #267

Quote:
Unfortunately in this case it is the Supreme court that has given the verdict. We ordinary citizens don't have much choice , do we? ...
....hoping against hope that the Apex Court issues a clarification of sorts allowing use of films which are within prescribed VLT limts.
The SC order leaves no wriggle room to keep any type of sunfilm on. However it seems a hasty order and will likely be successfully challenged when the court resumes in July.
The order itself is not befitting of the Supreme Court of India as it:
1) Is based on the hypothesis (that crime is linked to dark windowscreens) and not on statistically proven facts/correlations.
2) Is ill-considered since, with its 'retrospective effect', it impact lakhs of people who were obeying the existing regulations
3)Risks being looked at as a trivial order since it did not seek to drive achange the way emission control norms did
4)Is based on a mere play of words in regard to the intent of the Motor Vehicles Act - if the intent of the norms in the Act are with reference to driving safety by ensuring visibility, it is clearly irrelevant if such safety comes through regulation of tint in windows or of sunfilm standards.
5) The MV Act is about driving safety - not criminal activities in cars!

Para 25 in the order says that "The competent officer of the traffic police or any other authorized person shall challan such vehicles for violating Rules 92 and 100 of the Rules with effect from the specified
date and thereupon shall also remove the black films from the
offending vehicles."

This means that each time the challan is handed over to the offender, the film needs to be stripped by the Police - so subsequent offences cannot be anticipated (unless drivers replaces sunfilm". Is ithis being planned by the BTP?
Rather than trouble and irk people, the City Police Authorities should keep extending the due date till Court resumes session and inevitably rescinds the order!
Old 17th June 2012, 12:36   #268
Senior - BHPian

Recently I saw police patrolling main roads in our colony catching cars with films. They stop you, issue a challan and strip the film. When I stopped to watch the action a police man came and checked my car for film. He was intrigued by the tinted glass (yes Alto K10 has it), moved his fingers over the edges and smiled sheepishly when no film was detected. On inquiring, he claimed that all films are banned, but all tinted glass (light dark or extra dark) are allowed.. That is India for you. It is the letter and not the spirit of the Law that prevails.
Old 18th June 2012, 14:29   #269

No tension in Mumbai as of now. I recently purchased an i20 Asta (review coming up soon) and installed the legitimate 50/70 Llumar film. I dont sense of any crackdown happening unless Dhoble takes the job onto himself
Old 18th June 2012, 17:30   #270
BHPian

Just got mine removed, 2 years on they started to come off anyway ... and its rainy season, feels more like i'm with the rain rather than just through it

Last edited by ankur_fox : 18th June 2012 at 17:30. Reason: textual error
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks